Might be gone for awhile

Thread: Might be gone for awhile

Might be gone for awhile

Well in aviation they say that a mishap isn’t just the result of one thing it’s always a chain of events that lead up to the accident. Well in this case it kind of follows the same thinking. I have my computer tower sitting on a pedestal next to my computer desk. It sits lower than my desk and I keep the panel open to the air to get better ventilation. While I was working on doing some texture work on a UH one Huey and my water bottle was sitting on the right hand side I inadvertently bumped it, it fell down along side the computer, I heard a loud pop and everything went dead.

I disconnected everything from the back of the computer, took it outside, hooked up my compressor and blew out everything and as near as I can tell the water only hit the area where the power supply is mounted. I am hoping that it’s nothing more than the power supply that short circuited and it has to be replaced. However worst case scenario would be that not only did it short circuit but it also sent a surge that burned out the motherboard. If that happens to be the case I will not be back. If I had the money to replace the motherboard and any other components that might’ve been hit by the surging power supply I would have done that sometime ago in order to be able to use the new flight Sim, MSFS, but that’s not the case.

Time will tell. For now, at least I have my iPhone to communicate.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Dam Ed, sorry. Hope you are back in business soon with the least amount of fuss and bother.

My tower also sits lower than my desk and has fans that exhaust through the top of the case; a disaster waiting to happen......again! Yeah, it would not be the first time that I spilt a cup of coffee down into the case. Unfortunately there is nowhere else to place the tower.

Tommy

Building a better mouse trap? Now if it tips over, it won't spill into the case!

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Whoah - That sucks Ed!
    Wishing you the best of luck it's only the PSU.
    Roman

Wow sorry to hear this Ed.

Wishing you the best of luck repairing your computer. Hopefully it's just the PSU too. #sendingprayersandgoodthoughts
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses". - Elwood
    Learn more about the mission of the Collings Foundation here - www.collingsfoundation.org
    Collings Foundation Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/collings.foundation

Sorry to hear this Ed. I hope the damage is not as severe as expected!

Fingers crossed,
    Huub

I have my fingers crossed for you too.
    Last christmas I had a spike go through via my sound system....all the rest was on a UPS....I lost my CPU, MoBo, GPU....and sound system. $2000 AUD later.....

What A Disaster!

Praying that its nothing but the power supply and you can find one cheaply to replace it. I hope that KASH is not the last thing we work on together.

Sorry to hear of your computer disaster, hopefully it is just the power supply and nothing else got fried.

You should really look into a computer that has one of these retractable cup holders. They are great!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cd_reader_used_as_a_cup_holder.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	346.0 KB 
ID:	84319

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

WOW, I have to go back and reread my Cooler Master HAF case manual. Seems I missed that! And to think it was there all along!

Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    Sorry to hear of your computer disaster, hopefully it is just the power supply and nothing else got fried.

You should really look into a computer that has one of these retractable cup holders. They are great!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cd_reader_used_as_a_cup_holder.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	346.0 KB 
ID:	84319

ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

Thanks for all the well wishes. . .I am back. The PC gods were smiling on me as the offending water only hit the power supply. . . .Phew!!

Current System Specs:

I can relate. As posted recently our house was recently flooded with about 5-6 inches of water in my PC. Blew out the PSU (replaced recently due to a power spike) and the SSD with the OS and other programs. You should be good to go fingers crossed with a replacement PSU. Best of luck Ed!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Thanks for all the well wishes. . .I am back. The PC gods were smiling on me as the offending water only hit the power supply. . . .Phew!!
    Glad that's all it was and you're back Ed.
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses". - Elwood
    Learn more about the mission of the Collings Foundation here - www.collingsfoundation.org
    Collings Foundation Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/collings.foundation

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    That's good news, Ed ...

My computer is parked on the desk beside the monitor...above the high-tide mark for spilled drinks...

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    That's good news, Ed ...

My computer is parked on the desk beside the monitor...above the high-tide mark for spilled drinks...
    lol, yep, I placed a strip on that side of my table now that says "No Drinks Here", lol

Current System Specs:

Glad your computer is ok and it was just the PSU!

My computer used to be under my desk, but with this new computer, I put it on top of my desk, about a foot to the right of the monitor, and the printer/copier/scanner went under the desk, on a roll-out shelf.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Mine is sitting next to the desk with fans blowing upwards from the radiator at the top like tommieboy's rig. Not a day goes by that I don't worry about a drink going over the side and right into it.
    I think I need to make some sort of plexiglass panel that sits on top and extends out a bit. I should take this as a reminder to do something.

Sorry about your woes but it could have been much worse.

That Is Answered Prayer

We have been working so well together on KASH and right after that to happen. Prayed for you and your computer with our "Prayer Warriors" in church and this is an answered prayer. To God be the glory! Amen!

SOH-CM-2023
    Put your computer on top of a milk crate(s) or similar so that the top is ABOVE the desk surface - and DON'T put any liquid containers on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by glh View Post
    ....and DON'T put any liquid containers on top of it.

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

Members who have read this thread: 0