P-38L Lightning for MSFS - Released 9-30-21 - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: P-38L Lightning for MSFS - Released 9-30-21

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    That's much better! Woohoo. I'm sold.
    Oh Yeah! Now that's a developer who listen's to suggestions without getting upset. They have my money!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

And mine! A native lightning!!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Very good news.

can we hope the version Lockheed P38 F-5B 1LO S / N 42-68223 LAC Number 2734L aircraft on which Antoine De Saint Exupéry was flying.

Thank you .

https://www.ww2wrecks.com/wp-content...Correct_02.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dutria

can we hope the version Lockheed P38 F-5B 1LO S / N 42-68223 LAC Number 2734L aircraft on which Antoine De Saint Exupéry was flying.
    Was hoping for that myself - see my post earlier in this thread. Though strictly speaking, the basis for 268223 would be a P-38J (= F-5B).

But maybe one of our painters will be willing to bend the rules a bit...
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

This latest video is good. But I'm wondering about this notion that if you loose all hydraulic pressure you also loose all roll control. This might be true of the DC-10, put I'm not so sure about the P-38. If you lost HYD boost, would you loose all aileron control in the P-38 models that had HYD roll boost? I'm guessing not, but not 100% sure about that.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    This latest video is good. But I'm wondering about this notion that if you loose all hydraulic pressure you also loose all roll control. This might be true of the DC-10, put I'm not so sure about the P-38. If you lost HYD boost, would you loose all aileron control in the P-38 models that had HYD roll boost? I'm guessing not, but not 100% sure about that.
    You would not lose control. See pages 47 and 53 of the PDF. Note, those page numbers are one digit off the actual page numbers. https://stephentaylorhistorian.files...ght-manual.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    Addressed by the developer here: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...31?u=alana4643

Short version - it’s a design compromise required by the state of the SDK. But they may rethink it and not model the hydraulic boost for now.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

It is much like power steering, it is power assist. If the hydraulics go out the plane should still be controllable, and would feel much like the earlier models.

This power steering is a defining characteristic of the L (and J-25). If they aren't able to model the hydraulic system dependency I'd guess they'd increase aileron authority to mimic the effect.

- dcc
    - -

[QUOTE=dcc;1271552]Me too, I like the idea of flying a restored Lightning and don't want the gunsight bliocking my view. Good choice on their part IMO.

Can´t imagine a WWII warplane with no gunsight. No guns too? Hope buyers will have the choice of a proper gunsight and able to remove it just like the ones on Milviz Corsair and Dino's MB339. Then will buy it. No chance without gunsight. Better yet if they emulate firing the guns (Milviz Corsair). That will be stunning.
    Regards

Blog Entries
    Beau, You are supposed to imagine it as a civilian rebuild. A famous bodybuilder who owns a popular gym here once had a P-38. I saw it in his hanger, I don't recall it having a gunsight.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    Beau, You are supposed to imagine it as a civilian rebuild. A famous bodybuilder who owns a popular gym here once had a P-38. I saw it in his hanger, I don't recall it having a gunsight.
    Hi, have no problem about a P-38 with no gunsight, but personally I will only buy a P-38 WWII fighter plane, not a Red Bull racer cloned with ww2 colours. Will wait and see what comes out...
    Best Regards

As John T. said above, none of the currently airworthy P-38s have gunsights, even though most have otherwise authentic cockpits. They may look cool, but nobody wants to eat one in a hard landing.

These comments are valuable though because they show that sim players are living out a variety of different fantasies and developers should cater to all of them by having multiple cockpit options where feasible. That was already being done by a number of vendors in FSX.

August

I don’t know why there’s so much angst about gunsights, the FlyingIron MSFS spitfire has one switchable with a GPS for those who want one, the existing X-Plane Lightning pulls the same trick and as both models have cannons sticking out of them, it would be really odd without a sight.

edit: see at 1:09 https://youtu.be/eEICzmyKdjI

Hi jetstreamsky
    Believe me no angst in this posts. Someone said prefers flying with no gunsight, I said will not buy a war model without one. Know about cockpit options, mentioned two planes I bought with that feature. Absolutely no problems, angst about this.
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    Hi jetstreamsky
    Believe me no angst in this posts. Someone said prefers flying with no gunsight, I said will not buy a war model without one. Know about cockpit options, mentioned two planes I bought with that feature. Absolutely no problems, angst about this.
    Regards

Agreed, to each their own and it's great to have options.

If I owned and flew a real P-38 I wouldn't have the gunsight -- no need. In MSFS I'll be flying in modern, civilian skies as if I'm flying a restored P-38, so wouldn't want it blocking my view. But that's just me. I totally get why some may want it though and that's great. No angst here.

- dcc
    - -

In 2021 we can do without any more sources of angst!

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    In 2021 we can do without any more sources of angst!
    Truer words were never spoken!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I like options. Sometimes I feel like Tom McGuire, and sometimes I feel like Steve Hinton...
    HP Reverb G2

Two double-tailed Lockheeds in one week!
    HP Reverb G2

Lost P38 found in antarctic hanger. British Major, Quag Meyer, had kept it a secret for 75 years.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Members who have read this thread: 2