Windows Vista SP2 released and Server 2008 / trashed my system

Thread: Windows Vista SP2 released and Server 2008 / trashed my system

Retired SOH Administrator

Exclamation Windows Vista SP2 released and Server 2008 / trashed my system

Yesterday both Windows Vista Service Pack 2 RC and Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 RC have been made available for public download. This build is the same one that was sent to testers last week.
    For download links clickedyclick below:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Anyone have the nads to try the x64 version yet?
    If so, how did you fair..

United States Marine Corps Retired
    pSsT! Never Skydive From Your Flight Simulator

Installed Vista x64 earlier, and it's working a treat. Not seen any adverse effects, nor positive- but then I've only been looking for the bad things so far!
    Forever lurking.

Quote Originally Posted by d0mokun View Post
    Installed Vista x64 earlier, and it's working a treat. Not seen any adverse effects, nor positive- but then I've only been looking for the bad things so far!

Thanks for the info . . I am in no big rush to try it out yet..

United States Marine Corps Retired
    pSsT! Never Skydive From Your Flight Simulator

Anymore Feedback On This ?

I was about ready to give it a shot but decided to ask if anybody else has given this a try . (Yes , I'm a chicken)

Rich (Running VISTA 64bit)

From what I've read the majority are security enhancements but I'm sure they threw in a few little fixes .

SP2?? I haven't installed SP1 yet, Dell told me not to as it would make Vista worse. Don't know who or what to believe.:help:

Hi Terry,
    Take things Dell say with a pinch of salt.I have service pack 1 installed with no problems on my new machine,Plus my spare which is a Dell.Not installed SP2 yet as i have a fully updated Vista install.So do not think it will add anything.

Buddha13
    Who is the bigger fool,The fool or the man who listens to the fool.

Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons....For you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha13 View Post
    Hi Terry,
    Take things Dell say with a pinch of salt.I have service pack 1 installed with no problems on my new machine,Plus my spare which is a Dell.Not installed SP2 yet as i have a fully updated Vista install.So do not think it will add anything.

Buddha13
    Is there anything to gain from SP1 that makes it worth taking the risk? Vista seems to be shakey at best on a lot of levels.

i have been on the phone with MS support for over two hours,after I install SP2 all was going fine then boom, it kept asking me to reactivate window over and over. MS has done everything possible, I pretty much have given up and told MS I would just like to do a full format and forget all this other stuff. SP2 didn't work for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Asus Rampage Extreme Motherboard /EVGA AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 Bit GDDR3 /Corsair 8gig XMS DDR3/Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9770 Yorkfield OCed 4.2 LGA 775/136W Quad Core / Water Cooled/ 2 WD Raptor 150gig 10,000 rpm Drives in Raid O Mode/WD Raptor 150gig internal back up/400 gig External WD back up Drive/Thermaltake 1200 Watt PS/Sony Dual Layer DVD RD/RW/Plextor DVD/RW/ Thermaltake Kandalf Tower/ Sound Blasters X-FI Platinum / X52 Pro

Now you know what a Microsoft lab rat feels like. I won't upgrade for a couple years it at all.

XP all the way

2000 Pro as a fall back

LOL...It doesn't really bother me to do a format...if MS could have taken care of the problem in a reasonable amount of time, but they wanted to call me back tomorrow and start this chet all over again....they refused to let me off the phone until I agreed to let them call tomorrow....well it will be fixed tomorrow by me cus I am formatting as I type.
    Quote Originally Posted by OleBoy View Post
    Now you know what a Microsoft lab rat feels like. I won't upgrade for a couple years it at all.

XP all the way

2000 Pro as a fall back

Moe, the only reason they want to call you back is to continue using you as a Guinea Pig.

Sometimes I think M$s other name is P.T. Barnum. Remember what he said... "There's sucker born every minute." :costumes:
    Gary -

Goundcrew Member - Warbirds of Delaware KILG - Member 7G Club
    Member of the War Eagles Air Museum Santa Teresa, NM
    KILG Tour Coordinator and Member of Collings Foundation Stowe, Mass
    Mid Atlantic Air Museum Reading, PA.

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Sorry to hear about that Moe. I hope you had backups of everything so nothing was lost.

Bill
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write

Well my main frame pooter is nothing more than a toy and surfing the net. My Apple laptop has all the important stuff. What really was a killer yesterday was after they removed SP2 it wouldn't even let it boot to the desktop. It was now stuck in a loop. Once you rebooted it went directly to the activation wizard. It also keep saying that this is not a genuine copy of Vista..lol. what kind of started to piss me off was that want the part number to the DVD, the ref. number...ect..ect. As far as I am concerned there level one and two support is nothing more than a joke. I also really didn't have a problem with beta testing there SP2 either.When stuff like this happens to my system, I found out it is faster for me to just do a full Wipe disk format and bite the bullet.Once a system starts doing this in the long run it start effecting other programs on your pooter so you can either keep getting jerked around or just go forward.I spent a couple of hours the other day trying to get this loop de loop fixed but decided to see if I was missing something, so I let them take control of my system and play for a while. The level one clown did the same thing over and over again. He then said we need to figure out how to activate this first before we can get the rest going....like dddduh. WTF do you think I called for. Once they changed the DVD ID number and tried to activate that way and it still didn't go through I said OK this has been enough. I was also having a heck of a hard time understanding the guy.I didn't have a problem talking to someone from India but I was having a hard time understanding what he was saying...Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Sorry to hear about that Moe. I hope you had backups of everything so nothing was lost.

Bill

SOH-CM-2014
    The land where dust is manufactured and people are high temp tested!
    Quote Originally Posted by hey_moe View Post
    Well my main frame pooter is nothing more than a toy and surfing the net. My Apple laptop has all the important stuff. What really was a killer yesterday was after they removed SP2 it wouldn't even let it boot to the desktop. It was now stuck in a loop. Once you rebooted it went directly to the activation wizard. It also keep saying that this is not a genuine copy of Vista..lol. what kind of started to piss me off was that want the part number to the DVD, the ref. number...ect..ect. As far as I am concerned there level one and two support is nothing more than a joke. I also really didn't have a problem with beta testing there SP2 either.When stuff like this happens to my system, I found out it is faster for me to just do a full Wipe disk format and bite the bullet.Once a system starts doing this in the long run it start effecting other programs on your pooter so you can either keep getting jerked around or just go forward.I spent a couple of hours the other day trying to get this loop de loop fixed but decided to see if I was missing something, so I let them take control of my system and play for a while. The level one clown did the same thing over and over again. He then said we need to figure out how to activate this first before we can get the rest going....like dddduh. WTF do you think I called for. Once they changed the DVD ID number and tried to activate that way and it still didn't go through I said OK this has been enough. I was also having a heck of a hard time understanding the guy.I didn't have a problem talking to someone from India but I was having a hard time understanding what he was saying...Mike

Nightmare story!

:faint:

<--- hugs my iMac
    Humble Poly bender and warrior of Vertices

Alienware Console i7 3770 CPU 3.40 GHz / 16 Gigs of RAM / GTX660 GC w/2 Gigs of VRAM / Windows 7 64 Ultimate
    Running 3X Samsung 840 SSD HD's, 200 Gig each, 500/500 Read/Write