Microsoft Flight Simulator: Reno Air Races Teaser - gamescom - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Flight Simulator: Reno Air Races Teaser - gamescom

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    I was originally excited about painting the D-models when the product is released, but I'm perhaps even more excited now about getting the chance to put some paint on the P-51A!
    I was hoping you'd say that as I'd love to see N51Z - both as "Shanty Irish" #6 as raced at Reno 2017 and in her XP-51 1039 scheme!

Quote Originally Posted by Handbag87 View Post
    I was hoping you'd say that as I'd love to see N51Z - both as "Shanty Irish" #6 as raced at Reno 2017 and in her XP-51 1039 scheme!
    Despite that one being rather an oddity (too much P-51D still remaining in it), I do like the polished XP-51 finish/paint scheme.

Since I'm not really doing any painting for MSFS, I wouldn't be disappointed if this one showed up, even though it's an F-6:

Despite that one being rather an oddity (too much P-51D still remaining in it), I do like the polished XP-51 finish/paint scheme.
    I'll take that as a yes-leaning "maybe".

Plenty of reference material around, although knowing your fastidiousness I expect you'd have no issues in that regard should you end up doing it.

I think I read somewhere that upon purchasing the Reno add-on & gaining access to all those aircraft, I will be able to fly them anywhere in the World, not just at Reno?
    Could someone confirm that?
    Thank you
    T43

Quote Originally Posted by Twice43 View Post
    I think I read somewhere that upon purchasing the Reno add-on & gaining access to all those aircraft, I will be able to fly them anywhere in the World, not just at Reno? Could someone confirm that? Thank you T43
    100% confirmed during the most recent developers Q&A.

Feature Discovery Series Episode 11: Reno Air Races

Apparently it has been released. I'm away from home, so I need patience, but I'm curious to see what you think.
    Me, I'm only interested in the P-51A, a stock D and a stock T-6, which ones to pick?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Well, the Air Races module is $20 and each individual plane is $9.99, so at that point, you’re only $10 from getting the full bundle with all the planes.

BTW, if you’re willing to use Bing to search, you can sign up at rewards.microsoft.com and easily earn $10-20 a month mostly just from searches you do anyway. I essentially got the Husky and Ju-52 for free, and I just saved $20 on the Reno bundle using my Rewards credit.

I’ve been having an issue with MSFS for the past few months were my purchases fail and then keep giving me purchase failed messages for 1-3 days, and that just happened with Reno. Grrr. Hopefully I’ll get to try it in a day or two.

it seems that it needs a paid xbox live gold member status to race online!?

love it works without gold member status
    first raced in unlimited 3rd place followed by biplane with first victory
    Last edited by Txmmy83; November 18th, 2021 at 16:23.

The a few of the Air Race aircraft are not quite perfect. I'm finding numerous niggles in the offering. Wheels that don't turn, strange prop disk effects, and other obvious issues. Lots of stuttering too near the airport. Here's one.

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

my only wish is that asobo/ms may extend unlimited class with sea fury at some point!?

Tried out some of the P-51's, and its kind of a mixed bag.

Asobo did at least simulate the speed differences between the variants (which seem broadly correct as far as I can tell), but the flight modeling seems significantly off for the modified P-51's, since you can just yank the stick full aft at any airspeed, and the airplane won't do anything remotely resembling a snap roll or accelerated stall, which I assume was a concession to the multiplayer racing setup. If you enter a 90 degree bank, hold the stick all the way back, and hold altitude, you can also do endless 360 degree turns without losing any airspeed in the race modified airplanes, which is obviously not how that's supposed to work.

As far as I can tell, the flight model is more or less right for the stock airplanes (they'll lose speed and accellerated stall), so the issue seems to be confined to the modified ones like Voodoo and Strega.
    Last edited by azflyboy; November 18th, 2021 at 22:30.

if you’re willing to use Bing to search, you can sign up at rewards.microsoft.com and easily earn $10-20 a month mostly just from searches you do anyway
    Looking at that I got the impression you have to use Edge as well...I wouldn't want to give up Chrome...

Back on topic - anyone tried the P51A yet?

Not into the Air Race scene, however I am curious about the suitability of some of the aircraft for use in general touring/flying.
    For instance, do all the gauges work , & is there any GPS or AP equipment on board?
    T43

BTW, the only way to see the new Reno airshow textures and buildings is to enter the racing activity. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    BTW, the only way to see the new Reno airshow textures and buildings is to enter the racing activity. Bummer.
    Yea, agree. Wish they were there in free flight, also.

LouP

I bought the full pack for $60. I can only imagine as they see how popular it is that it will get developed more. So much more content then you get from the other offerings in the in-game MarketPlace.

I hope that they do a Red Bull/STOL racing Add-On soon. Either that or create a cross country Bush Flying Race Add-On.
    Major Spittle
    product of Anheuser Busch St. Louis Missouri

System Specs. Asus Prime Z590-A, 64GB DDR4 4000, RX 5700, i7 10700, MasterLiquid ML240R, Super Flower Platinum 850, Corsair Crystal 680X.

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    Back on topic - anyone tried the P51A yet?
    I'm with Keith. The only plane I am interested in from the P-51 line is the P-51A. I can wait for the A2A P-51, but the "A" has my eye.

Unfortunately, all of the Mustangs have some degree of issues, it seems, and the P-51A has the most, as far as I've seen thus far.

These are the issues with the P-51A that I've noted:

- The wing airfoil is dead wrong, portrayed as a standard airfoil rather than the laminar airfoil it should be. The wing airfoil and thickness should be identical to the P-51D (the wing shape/airfoil on those models look very accurate!). In reality, the only significant three-dimensional difference between the A and D wing is the leading edge.
    - The upper surface of the inboard sections of the wings are distorted, with the top of the wings angling down from the fuselage, and then angling back up again - for me, this is worse than the bad airfoil.

For as accurate in shape as the fuselage, nose and tail are, it's just really disappointing how bad the wings are, and I don't see that being fixed in a future update.

- All of the rivets are 3D-modeled, and almost all are far from correct
    - Right now there is a prop issue with the P-51A, where the still prop, slow spinning prop, and fast spinning prop models/graphics all show at shared times, rather than individually at the right times (simply a coding issue).
    - The landing gear clam shell doors, which operate slightly different to that of the P-51D (talking reality), currently have a weird visual when you start the engine, causing them to suddenly swing down and back up again.
    - There is a little model artifact that shows up just outside the left side of the cockpit in external view, that I've noticed when in flight.
    - The cockpit is fantastic, though the rudder trim placard is wrong - it should be no different than the aileron trim placard, and just like the D's.
    - The rear-view mirror texture is far too rough/non-reflective in my opinion.

With regard to the flight dynamics, one major item that is off, right now, is the max Manifold Pressure. For the stock Allison, at least 52"-MP should be able to be reached, running today's fuel, no problem - that's the red line. Unfortunately, right now it maxes out at only 38"-MP. However, I think this is because the Manifold Pressure gauge needle is not currently calibrated properly, since it takes a while to get it up to 38"-MP, at which point the aircraft is really accelerating at a far greater rate than what 38"-MP will get you in reality. Also, the engine Manifold Pressure to RPM ratio is well off the mark right now (the RPM gets up to 3,000 far too early, when only powering up to 27-28" MP), but that too could simply be because the Manifold Pressure gauge needle isn't correctly indicating the actual MP setting.

That's really disappointing to hear, John, thanks for that analysis.

Here are some screenshots of the incredibly well-done visual models/textures for the AT-6D "Eros" - I just wish the flight model lived up to the visuals. The flight model for the stock AT-6 model (the one with all of the generic liveries and the most stock cockpit), however, does seem to fly/perform quite accurately!

Even the rear cockpit is incredibly detailed and true to the real aircraft, though there are a few issues with some of the gauges on the rear panel.

At this point, I've actually uninstalled MSFS. Hear me out...I didn't have enough space to do the SU6 full blown update. What a hassle. It stopped mid way and told me I didn't have enough space to continue. Why it couldn't tell me that before trying to apply it...I don't understand in 2021. Anyway... I was REALLY looking forward to this Reno pack. It was the one thing I thought would be redeeming. Seeing John's post above is definitely disappointing. That's an understatement actually. My perception is that MSFS, is less concerned with being a "simulator" than it is with being a graphics engine game, that has "flying". At least from the ASOBO side (I know that 3rd party devs are doing their due diligence). But just knowing that the P-51A doesn't have the correct airfoil is a MAJOR turn off. Also watching how they are making everyone compete with a lesser Flight model in the races....I don't get that. Super big turn off. The Super Hornet with a plain clothes civilian pilot... the list goes on. Honestly feels like the moment this thing went XBOX, it started to loose credibility from the MS side. It honestly feels focused on gaming rather than simulation.

I'm really hoping that the Reno stuff will be fixed. I really want to get this pack. Very passionate about those races in real life. However this is a major disappointment. I can't imagine the 3D mesh is going to get fixed as it's released now and textures are complete. What a sham(e). Those interior and exterior shots are just mind blowing they really did an exquisite job on the visuals. That cockpit looks like it's 3D laser scanned. Anyway...here's hoping...
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

The flight model for the stock AT-6 model (the one with all of the generic liveries and the most stock cockpit), however, does seem to fly/perform quite accurately!

Eros? Is that in the Reno pack? Because it is not with anything I downloaded. Looks like only 6 of 10 A-t6 planes downloaded. Oh well, try again.

- d

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    The Super Hornet with a plain clothes civilian pilot...
    Apparently you have to set your Avatar thingy to default. Then the pilot will wear HGU Helmet, O2mask and other correct flightgear. Atleast that's one thing to erase from the bad list. Maybe there's more..

Members who have read this thread: 2