John Terrell ???....

Thread: John Terrell ???....

John Terrell ???....

Haven't seen him here for weeks.... Is he alright ??....

Anybody knows ??....

https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...=1#post1267684

I hope he'll come back some day. I love the amount of detail he puts into his work and the knowledge of warbirds he usually brings to the table. Also I really enjoy his crystal sharp screenshots.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Hey guys, I'm doing fine. I've just been taking a bit of a break for a little while. Thank you to those who reached out to me, I appreciate it!

Good to see you around!
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mugel View Post
    https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...=1#post1267684

I hope he'll come back some day. I love the amount of detail he puts into his work and the knowledge of warbirds he usually brings to the table. Also I really enjoy his crystal sharp screenshots.
    I have read it now, I wish I had seen it before , yes, it's not John's problem, but this man's.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Hiya John! As for what happened, let's just say some words were said and leave it at that. I'd rather not rehash/revive/relive any of that.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Good news, John, thanks !

Started to get a little worried. All sorts of things going on here in MSFS and not a word or screenie from you is just not what we're used to around here. I for one always enjoy your professional and to the point comments and screenshots. (not to speak about your Mustang which is dearly missed in MSFS.. ;-)

Anyway great to know all's well with you, John !

Cheers,
    Jan

Looking forwards to seeing some more screenshots John

Aaahh, so relieved to see you around!! Take care John!!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Aaahh, so relieved to see you around!! Take care John!! Priller
    Hey John, what do you think of the latest Spitfire update, the 1.03 hotfix 2?

Great to know you've not vanished forever, John. I'm missing seeing your posts on here. I was having fun earlier today with your rendition of PT879.

Untitled by Brad617, on Flickr

Untitled by Brad617, on Flickr

Brad

Thank you all for your messages, it truly means a lot! I love the community here. Thank you too for sharing those wonderful screenshots, Brad! In particular, I really enjoyed seeing your "Piece of Cake" inspired images in the screenshots thread.

Shotgunshack - I finally put some real time on the newly updated FlyingIron Spitfire last night and this morning. I am mostly impressed, but there are still some issues. At first, I was concerned that the torque was way over the top on takeoff, but if I keep the stick back with the tail held down until the airspeed reaches 60 mph, and then ease the stick forward, I don't notice much torque at all (with full right rudder trim dialed in). I found that it is however very ill-advised to try and takeoff with any moderate crosswind. A real Mk.IX Spitfire won't be nearly as affected by a crosswind as the sim version is (perhaps due more to MSFS itself than FlyingIron's work?). In the product's pilot manual, and in the update, they mention using 1 notch nose down/forward trim for takeoff. I've found in other references that this is a good takeoff trim setting in the Mk.IX if you are only using half fuel in the internal tanks (which is the case by default in the sim (with the slipper tank removed)), and/or you are taking off from a grass airfield where you want to lighten the load on the tailwheel. What's not mentioned is that it is also recommended at times to use 1 notch nose up/aft trim for takeoff in the Mk.IX if you have full internal fuel and/or you are taking off from a hard runway and prefer to takeoff in a more three-point attitude. With the last couple of updates to the FlyingIron Spitfire, I've noticed the ailerons "feel" heavier/more stiff than they were before, which I think has made it more accurate. I've always heard that, although the Spitfire has brilliant flying qualities, it doesn't have very good ailerons, as they're rather heavy/stiff (made better with the clipped-wing variants). It also seems harder than ever to get it slowed down to gear speed, even when using the standard overhead break procedure. I used to only have to power it back to -2 boost in the break to downwind, but now I'm finding I have to bring the throttle back quite a bit more in order to get it down to the 160 mph gear speed. There is only one pilot report I recall reading that has ever touched on it being hard to get a Spitfire slowed down, and that was with the Mk.XVIII, written by Jim Beasley, who said that it was a challenge when landing to try and get it slowed down to gear speed and then keeping it slowed down, while also trying to make sure the power wasn't set too low for too long that it would cause spark plug fouling. The noticeable pitch down when lowering the flaps is a very welcome and accurate improvement to the flight dynamics, though the drag cause by the flaps seems to be way, way too much now, requiring you to use way too much power just to keep the airplane's speed up on final (you should be able to lower the flaps while on downwind, just before turning onto base, and not have to carry much power). I've also noticed, following the latest FlyingIron update, that the Becker VHF Comm control head is no longer functioning, and ever since SU5, if you start out with the aircraft already running (starting out on a runway), one of the mag switches is always off.

if you start out with the aircraft already running (starting out on a runway), one of the mag switches is always off.
    Open the runway.flt with your favorite code editor and look for the magneto settings there.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Thank you for that suggestion, Tom! I just looked, and it has both left and right magneto set to 'True', so I suspect the problem is likely that the right mag switch isn't coded right now to the right mag switch function (even though you can toggle the switch up & down).

It was worth a shot anyway...
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Hey John, good to see you back and thanks for all the info. on the Spitfire.
    In addition to the above I'm confused what the sensitivity settings should be with your joystick and pedals. Googling it I come up with all sorts of answers. I just wondered what your settings were?

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Thank you for that suggestion, Tom! I just looked, and it has both left and right magneto set to 'True', so I suspect the problem is likely that the right mag switch isn't coded right now to the right mag switch function (even though you can toggle the switch up & down).
    I should think so, John. The engine dies when switching off the left mag at ‘zero’ boost during run-up, whereas the right mag has no effect.

Thank you for checking on that, Brad. Yeah, something got out of whack with regard to that right mag switch after Sim Update 5 I think.

Naki, I use a CH Products Fighter Stick and CH Products Pro Pedals, and I have the aileron, elevator and rudder axis sensitivities all set at -25. For me, this compares well, across all of the aircraft in the sim, to how similar aircraft felt to me in FSX and P3D when using full sensitivity. I think my sensitivity settings in MSFS are the same as I have set in DCS as well.

BTW, flying the most recently updated version of the Spitfire some more lately, I've noticed that the p-factor on takeoff isn't as bad as I had originally thought - I think the first couple flights I did with it, following the latest update, there was likely a moderate crosswind coming from the left of the aircraft, which exacerbated the left swing on the takeoff roll. I would love to be able to have an in-game slider that could control how much effect a crosswind can have on any particular aircraft. With the wind going straight down the runway, it is very benign on takeoff, but introduce a moderate crosswind, and you can have massive swings in either direction.

Members who have read this thread: 0