DC Designs F-14 A/B Tomcat is OUT - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DC Designs F-14 A/B Tomcat is OUT

Hah, great shots @Denny and all!
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Hi, think to buy this aircraft and this may be a silly question but...saw the movies and noticed that exhaust "petals" are always in a what looks like a close position either with afterburner or not. Should they move? Thanks, best regards

After looking at some Youtube vids of Tomcats launching off of aircraft carriers, it looks like the exhaust petals should open fully for ab and close down for non ab use.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	84213

Name:	dvids-F-14B-Tomcat-USS-Harry-S-Truman-1800.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	365.7 KB 
ID:	84214
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    After looking at some Youtube vids of Tomcats launching off of aircraft carriers, it looks like the exhaust petals should open fully for ab and close down for non ab use.

I remember those variable exhaust nozzles (Petals) were aka "turkey feathers".

My bad...when I wrote "movies" I was referring to the vedeos promoting the F-14 from Dc Designs, meaning if the petals are modelled to work like in real life.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    My bad...when I wrote "movies" I was referring to the vedeos promoting the F-14 from Dc Designs, meaning if the petals are modelled to work like in real life.
    Thanks
    Understood fully! Just showing what the real thing looks like so Dean can compare to his.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Exhaust petals are fully animated - they have multiple ( automatic ) settings, one closed, one open when shut down, dilated when taxiing, fully dilated in full afterburner. The B model's also animate but in a slightly different way and they don't move as much, as per the real aircraft.
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    Exhaust petals are fully animated - they have multiple ( automatic ) settings, one closed, one open when shut down, dilated when taxiing, fully dilated in full afterburner. The B model's also animate but in a slightly different way and they don't move as much, as per the real aircraft.
    Thanks Dean, on my way to buy the F-14. You know I just love your Stearman, most used plane around here. Just finished a flight, took of from NZWR Wangarei, found the airport on flightsim.to, flew a few miles, landed on a beach, shut down engine and, to my surprise, sea waves breaking ashore with a beautiful sound. This sim is out of this world, so is the Stearman. Thanks for your work
    Best Regards

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post

Those are 2 different tomcats. Top is an A model. Bottom is a B or D. -14A model uses AB for Cat shots. B/D does not. They are variable exhaust, so they open and close to control EGT.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Bumping as the glue comes off...
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Working on some repaints.

VF-11

VF-154

VF-31 Line Bird

VF-114

Quote Originally Posted by GO_Navy View Post
    Working on some repaints.
    Wow, amazing work!!

I have uploaded a full demo of the DC Designs F-14B Tomcat performing at MCAS Miramar in Microsoft Flight Simulator, as an aide to folks wondering if this airplane is "right" for them. There is also a shorter demo of the F-14A Tomcat in a similar vein, and the SC Designs F-16C Viper, on the same page. All good fun and surprisingly realistic using the Showcase camera system to film the display sequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3zbLsoSbJ8
    Last edited by DC1973; December 23rd, 2021 at 04:58. Reason: Link address

"To be or Not to be" has always been the question. Until today!

The question NOW is "How in the virtual world has this video been released and nobody seemingly noticed sofar !!?? "

Everybody here knows full well that we still have no 'Fly-By' camera view but Dean's F-14 video here comprises atleast 75% of 'Fly-By' camera view footage ! How on virtual earth does he do that !!?? ( Dean! How did you do that !!??....;-)

The extraordinairy spectacular Fly-By camera footage is f.i. alternated with likewise spectacular footage from inside the cockpit looking aft of the shoulder of the pilot towards the RIO and what's happening underneath the starboard wing.

And then there's the sound !!... Or should i say: then there's the SOUND!!! Easily the best ever jetfighter 'Fly-By' sound in a sim i have ever heard ! I am 100% sure you'll think so too ! (to those who indeed saw the video already: why didn't you say something ??!!... )

No comments here about Dean's totally amazing F-14 video for more then a week and only 13 reactions and 24 likes on the tube. Unbelievable and absolutely unfair (to say the least!) because this happens to be the most exhilerating and exiting MSFS video you'll come across today !

I, for one, can't wait for a 'Fly-By' camera view to finally arrive in MSFS, so much so that i am kinda 'hanging on by my fingernails' re MSFS because i find it almost unbearable not to be able to see my fav aircraft fly-by in the air or drive-by on the ground, watch it take-off and on final approach and land from alongside the runway (yeah, i'm an incorrigible aircraft spotter). In a way, just like we see Dean's F-14 Display Show here in his flabbergasting video.

If you haven't seen it yet and you like air display shows, fast jets and LOUD sounds go see it now! You'll love it!

Just to be sure : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3zbLsoSbJ8

Dean, thank you so much! You're a hell of a MSFS aircraft designer and a hell of a pilot !

P.S.... and a hell of a MSFS video creator on top of that ! No end to your talents, huh...

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    The question NOW is "How in the virtual world has this video been released and nobody seemingly noticed sofar !!?? "
    Thanks for the kind words!

I put the videos up there to show the Tomcats in action, as I felt it would make it easier for prospective buyers to see what it can do and how realistic it is ( enough for them, or not enough ). Since doing so, the "flight model is cr*p / it's not realistic / it's garbage" comments from DCS users on You Tube have entirely stopped. Same for the SC Designs F-16, which I now have confirmation of having a more accurate flight model than the DCS version, and comments from the real-life "Makos" squadron Viper pilots at Homestead, Florida, that it's a "great rendition of the Viper and very realistic" - can't get a better recommendation than that

F-15 video will follow soon once the upgrade is complete.

( To use the fly-by camera, switch to Showcase Camera using the in-game menu while sitting on the runway, Reset the position, then select Track mode on, follow mode off. Then slew to a mid-field position for where the crowd line would be. Now, as you fly, the camera will track you as if being filmed by a viewer. )
    Last edited by DC1973; January 3rd, 2022 at 00:07. Reason: Camera method

Dino, congrats to this outstanding video - I like the way you make this "spotting" shots.
    Just a question to the sound: Is this the default MSFS soundplayback which decide how we can hear the fly-by sound or is it a part of your aircraft (sorry, not very familiar with those things...)?
    I have noticed that when the aircraft is heading the viewer's way, the sound at full throttle and afterburner is loud, but shouldn't it be much louder when it has passed the spotter's viewpoint? Just a minor notice - the work overall is simply great!
    Best regards, Manfred.

Quote Originally Posted by Manschy View Post
    Dino, congrats to this outstanding video - I like the way you make this "spotting" shots.
    Just a question to the sound: Is this the default MSFS soundplayback which decide how we can hear the fly-by sound or is it a part of your aircraft (sorry, not very familiar with those things...)?
    I have noticed that when the aircraft is heading the viewer's way, the sound at full throttle and afterburner is loud, but shouldn't it be much louder when it has passed the spotter's viewpoint? Just a minor notice - the work overall is simply great!
    Thanks! The sounds are all custom sounds by Sim Acoustics. I also want the afterburner sounds to be more ear-ripping than the intake sounds, so it's on the list of requests for an update.

Thanks a lot for information, Dino.
    Best regards, Manfred.

( To use the fly-by camera, switch to Showcase Camera using the in-game menu while sitting on the runway, Reset the position, then select Track mode on, follow mode off. Then slew to a mid-field position for where the crowd line would be. Now, as you fly, the camera will track you as if being filmed by a viewer. )
    Thanks very much Dean ! Just spend the most interesting hour or two in MSFS since its release !

Up front, so can we say we've had the option of a Fly-By camera view all along ??...Ever since the release of MSFS ??.. That's just absolutely amazing !

I know for sure now that it does actually work but it's not like it's a piece of cake....

Been trying and testing for an hour or so but there's still a lot of things going on i don't understand or can get a grip on. Must say i'm using an Xbox Controller to work with the Drone Camera and it looks like this may cause the problems i am facing. Next test will be with the Xbox Controller removed.

Dean, with "Track mode on" you really mean "Drone Lock Mode", right ? (Drone follow mode=Off; Drone lock mode=On)

You see, on my Camera Showcase Menu there's only a switch for 'Track IR'. Obviously that's not what you mean, right ? There's no such thing as 'Track Mode On' on my Showcase Menu...

Furthermore it only seems to work when i click 'Drone Camera' in the 'Free Camera' menu. Is that correct ?

Very sorry to have to bother you but i'm so close now to what i have been missing so dearly in MSFS all along and can't tell you how exited i am about that ! Absolutely fantastic too to hear the Fly-By sounds for the first time ! Totally wonderful !! ( was using the T-6 for the Fly-By testing and it sounds gorgeous as it flies by ! )

Thank you so much for this amazing revelation, Dean !
    Last edited by Javis; January 4th, 2022 at 22:14.

Dean, with "Track mode on" you really mean "Drone Lock Mode", right ? (Drone follow mode=Off; Drone lock mode=On)
    Yes, those are the ones, sorry, my terminology was wrong. You then slew to a viewpoint of your choice and either fly from there to watch your aerial handy-work, or use a freeware recorder to fly a flight normally, then watch it from the crowd line.

Yes, those are the ones, sorry, my terminology was wrong. You then slew to a viewpoint of your choice and either fly from there to watch your aerial handy-work, or use a freeware recorder to fly a flight normally, then watch it from the crowd line.
    Thanks, Dean ! The terminology may have been a bit off, what you have showed us here, including your amazing F-14 Display video, is nothing short of spectacular !

I mean "Fly-By Camera View", how long already has it been high up on the Development Update wish list ? (sure has been on mine, right from the start, right on top of the list !). And then to think it has been here already from the start !.... It has just been the magic formula that had to be inserted ! Unbelievable really !

Hey 'MSFS Fly-By' lovers outthere ! Haven't you got anything to say !?? It is really true, you know !!
    Thanks a million again, Dean, you have made my MSFS Day, Week, Month and Year !. You Da Man !!

P.S. @ all who like to try it: to make your aircraft operational during 'Showcase View' you need to either hit your C key or Shift/C key. A checklist might turn up, just click it away. Also, if you use an Xbox Controller to operate your Drone, you might want to disconnect it and use the default keyboard control. Otherwise strange things may happen...

Thanks, Dean ! The terminology may have been a bit off, what you have showed us here, including your amazing F-14 Display video, is nothing short of spectacular !

I mean "Fly-By Camera View", how long already has it been high up on the Development Update wish list ? (sure has been on mine, right from the start, right on top of the list !). And then to think it has been here already from the start !.... It has just been the magic formula that had to be inserted ! Unbelievable really !

Hey 'MSFS Fly-By' lovers outthere ! Haven't you got anything to say !?? It is really true, you know !!
    Thanks a million again, Dean, you have made my MSFS Day, Week, Month and Year !. You Da Man !!

P.S. @ all who like to try it: to make your aircraft operational during 'Showcase View' you need to either hit your C key or Shift/C key. A checklist might turn up, just click it away. Also, if you use an Xbox Controller to operate your Drone, you might want to disconnect it and use the default keyboard control. Otherwise strange things may happen...
    Jaw dropping! But update 7 broke my sim so it will be a while before I can try this. I'll buy that F-14 too. Maybe after another 16 hours of download. but I'm not bitter. not bitter at all.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Jaw dropping! But update 7 broke my sim so it will be a while before I can try this. I'll buy that F-14 too. Maybe after another 16 hours of download. but I'm not bitter. not bitter at all.
    That's terrible, dvj !

My update was done in a jiffy, no problem at all (Steam) but that's of not much help to you alas.. :-(

Can only wish you strenght, patience and lots of luck, mate !

This lovely bird has been updated to the latest iteration of MSFS as well!

Changelog v1.0.3

Emergency Sim Update 9 correction to HUD and displays
    Added Asobo special effects for G vapour, contrails etc
    New liveries for both F-14A and F-14B
    New coding for better visibility of wings and crew in multiplayer ( experimental )
    Afterburner textures and emissives improved
    New coding for wing-sweep manual over-ride, now slaved to Logo Light
    Cockpit textures improved for greater resolution

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive