4 Mb/s internet - Is it even worth me trying?

Thread: 4 Mb/s internet - Is it even worth me trying?

SOH-CM-2022

4 Mb/s internet - Is it even worth me trying?

Hi,
    Like the title says - I live out in the boondocks and have a 4 Mb/s ADSL internet connection (and I count myself lucky - most of my neighbours get 3).

Is it even worth me trying MSFS? Apart from the internet speed my FS pc meets Microsofts requirements for a midrange system.

thanks
    Gavin

Sorry to give you bad news, the installation alone will take you several days. Microsoft states minimum internet speed is 5mbps, and recommended is 20mbps. Personally I wouldn't advise getting FS2020 with your internet speed.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

I'm running around 36mb/s and since update SU5, I can't stream enough to load the photogrammetry correctly over cities like London. If I turn on the rolling cache, it stutters a lot so I just avoid them areas currently.

I have to agree with Manfred: The problem is not using the sim, but installing it and later on, updating it.
    The initial installation is going to download several tens of gigabytes (GB, not Gb).
    Each "update" is usually several GB as well.
    With such a low speed connection, it's going to take forever to install.

And please, don't even consider the DVD version of the sim. The DVDs contain the original version of the simulator, which means that you'll have to download several gigabytes again for updating it to the latest version (which is mandatory, the sim will simply refuse to run if it's not up to date).

The only alternative could be to use the 4G network, if you have any access to it, and share the connection of your phone with your computer by wifi or usb cable.
    But it depends on what kind of mobile contract you have, and that's just assuming you actually have 4G network coverage in your area...

One with hope here!

I survived about the first six months of MSFS with a crappy mobile broadband connection rarely getting above about 5 Mb/s.
    I would physically take my PC around to a mates to grab his fast fibre connection for install and Updates, etc.

But the sim flew just about happily enough on my slow connection - with Photogrammetry disabled (rubbish anyway).
    The only nuisance was not being able to diagnose stuttering and FPS issues knowing my connection to the servers was severely compromised - but I could fly.

Eventually I upped my broadband to fast fibre so am happy camper these days.

But YES, OP - it's do-able on that connection. Just about.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

SOH-CM-2022
    Thanks Folks,
    It is sort of like I figured - the installation would be close to impossible even if I flew without the photometric data afterwards.

There are rumours of higher speed connections coming, but they will be wireless and data capacity limited.

Oh well, it is a good thing I like P3D

Gavin

Do it,

I am on 1.4 mbps. It took me 3 days to download and install. Before SU5 ( I will keep a civil tongue so will not describe my current issues - but not download related ) it was running like a dream - photogrammetry was fine. The key for low speed access is to fly in the same area , have a dedicated large rolling cache and/or you can manually download areas to your computer as part of the cache-ing you draw a box and set the resolution and then go away for 1.5 days ! So I have a 500 km square high resolution area north of brisbane cached ( not any more due to the issues I am having- again not download related ).

I think it was worth it if you already own the game. I wouldnt buy it if I were not willing to be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by gavinc View Post
    Thanks Folks,
    It is sort of like I figured - the installation would be close to impossible even if I flew without the photometric data afterwards.

There are rumours of higher speed connections coming, but they will be wireless and data capacity limited.

Oh well, it is a good thing I like P3D

Gavin
    You can purchase MSF on DVDs from Aerosoft. Of course you would still have problems with the updates, but you would at least have the basic simulator. I assume they sell them worldwide - you would need to check on that.

https://www.aerosoft.com/en/flight-simulation/microsoft-flight-simulator/msfs-simulator/

I think DVDs should be avoided. They are just a big waste of time.
    You will need to download a very high amount of GigaBytes of updates before you can use the sim anyways.

Members who have read this thread: 0