Loading Time

Thread: Loading Time

Loading Time

What about the MSFS loading time between hitting the MSFS icon and arriving at the main menu ? Will it be anything significantly shorter if i remove all default planes i'll probabely never fly anymore? I can imagine it will make a difference more or less but can i do this without raising havoc to what still is a fingers-crossed-and-hope-to-fly operation in the first place ?..

What do you think ? Go ahead and see what happens ?.. (i'll just remove them from my MSFSPackages/ Official/Steam folder. NOT delete them of course)

Or would you say better leave it alone, it wouldn't make much more then a few seconds difference in loading time anyway. Not worth the chance of screwing things up.

Any enlightenment in this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks !

Apparently it is doable in the content manager and it does indeed improve loading times

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5...ircrafts-msfs/

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

The only two planes you can't remove are the C152 and the TBM. Those two are considered "required content." If you delete one manually, the sim will re-download just about the entire sim. Everything else is fair game via the Content Manager. Just delete what you don't want, then restart just to be safe.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Noticed that when removing all the content in Community file for an update, loading time is much faster. Have some files there (a lot, some big ones) and those yes, took much more time to load but quicker now after last update. Will try to remove planes I do not use.

Keeping it trim helps, but also using Addon Linker for third party files allows you to load only items you wish to use in a session, it’s particularly good for scenery files if you organize them by region, etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    The only two planes you can't remove are the C152 and the TBM. Those two are considered "required content." If you delete one manually, the sim will re-download just about the entire sim. Everything else is fair game via the Content Manager. Just delete what you don't want, then restart just to be safe.
    Tom, You never cease to amaze me with just how much you know about this program.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

I'm starting to regret that I bought the Deluxe Premium version...

And I also wonder if the removed planes will be offered again after every update.

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Well, I tried removing the planes that I don't want or need, and it doesn't work. You restart the sim and they are reinstalled.

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Thank you very much gentlemen !

Works fine via the Content Manager (well, more or less..)

Priller, i see what you mean, i can't seem to delete a few models neither (not talking about the TBM or C152, kept those as suggested by Tom), it's a few Asobo defaults and a few payware's too. But i did get rid of the bulk i do not need for the time being. About 20 GB in total (LOTS of liveries! ) I'll take another chance to delete those that didn't want to clear off, see if i can spot what's happening there.

The loading time has dropped significantly indeed and if i'm not mistaken it seems to me that even the time between hitting the FLY button and arriving at my selected departing airport is severly diminished as well ! Certainly didn't expect that !

All in all very happy with the result ! Thanks a lot again !

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Thank you very much gentlemen !

Works fine via the Content Manager (well, more or less..)

Priller, i see what you mean, i can't seem to delete a few models neither (not talking about the TBM or C152, kept those as suggested by Tom), it's a few Asobo defaults and a few payware's too. But i did get rid of the bulk i do not need for the time being. About 20 GB in total (LOTS of liveries! ) I'll take another chance to delete those that didn't want to clear off, see if i can spot what's happening there.

The loading time has dropped significantly indeed and if i'm not mistaken it seems to me that even the time between hitting the FLY button and arriving at my selected departing airport is severly diminished as well ! Certainly didn't expect that !

All in all very happy with the result ! Thanks a lot again !
    Indeed, the asobo defaults are the ones. And some liveries as well, those that are tied to certain missions/tutorials...

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Indeed, the asobo defaults are the ones. And some liveries as well, those that are tied to certain missions/tutorials...

Priller
    Yes, that's probabely it. I did not delete any missions/tuts or trainings nore any scenery, just aircraft. It would be great if we'd have an option to view only aircraft or only scenery. Currently the list is a bit messy with everything mixed together. On top of that some sort of progress indicator would be handy as well. At one point i started to believe the delete proces had come to a halt and MSFS had crashed. It took about half an hour to delete the 20 GB ! ( after deleting one model only, which worked fine but not in a matter of seconds neither, i rounded up all models to delete in one go)

So far so good. I did 3 seperate flights including a few circuits over New York, which always looks unbelieveable and totally amazing ( i got two fairly long pauses after taking off from Newark heading for the Statue of Liberty, and another one while turning in to have a look at Central Park, but otherwise the circuits were super silky smooth, no matter in external view or VC view and, much important, looking outside the front- or side windows while flying low over the river. ( i adapted my graphics settings in order to get a stutter-free look outside the side windows while flying (very) low along a big city, usually along the coast or a river. You'll get a wonderful sense of speed this way)

No more glass cockpits for me, steam gauges rule !

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    Tom, You never cease to amaze me with just how much you know about this program.
    It comes from nearly daily visits to the official forum. I participate there just as much as here for the most part. When I'm there, the ones I pay attention to are mostly the ones with inside knowledge from the developers.

But one thing I found a while back in one of the hidden xml files is that the TBM and 152 are listed as the two "required" airplanes, along with a remark line that says they were "arbitrary" choices. I want to edit one of those planes out of that listing and try deleting it, but I'm too chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Well, I tried removing the planes that I don't want or need, and it doesn't work. You restart the sim and they are reinstalled.

Priller
    Are you doing it by deleting from the Official folder or from the Content Manager? Everything I deleted from the CM has stayed out, if I try to delete from the folder manually, it usually reloads with the next startup.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    It comes from nearly daily visits to the official forum. I participate there just as much as here for the most part. When I'm there, the ones I pay attention to are mostly the ones with inside knowledge from the developers.

But one thing I found a while back in one of the hidden xml files is that the TBM and 152 are listed as the two "required" airplanes, along with a remark line that says they were "arbitrary" choices. I want to edit one of those planes out of that listing and try deleting it, but I'm too chicken!

Are you doing it by deleting from the Official folder or from the Content Manager? Everything I deleted from the CM has stayed out, if I try to delete from the folder manually, it usually reloads with the next startup.
    Hi Tom,

From the CM of course.

Oh well, I can't really complain about the loading times. Especially when I think back of my old FSX install!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Try uninstalling again. It seems like there was one thing I had to remove from the CM twice, but I'm not sure now...
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Great question, Jan.

I was thinking the same thing the other day, as I like to keep my sim clear of aircraft and stuff I never use.

I already removed tutorials and stuff through the Content Manager. Just wasn't sure about the aircraft.

I do have to think about add-on aircraft I fly that use cockpits from default airplanes.

Going to give this a try over the next few days.

Thanks to everyone for their input and sharing their knowledge
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Members who have read this thread: 0