CA prohibiting sale of hi-power desktop gaming computers

Thread: CA prohibiting sale of hi-power desktop gaming computers

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

CA prohibiting sale of hi-power desktop gaming computers

Just saw a headline on a forum site stating Dell has been told by the California power authorities certain models of its high-powered gaming computers are now prohibited from use in the state. The article did talk about a few games involved, I think, but the article indicated any machines with processors or video cards (presumably liquid-cooled) that had very large power draws could no longer be sold in that state. The article did not mention anything about existing rigs, or rigs built from parts but it's probably likely electronic parts stores in Cal will in the near future stop stocking those processors/video cards - and makers will be prohibited from shipping them there. Not a joke, this is for real.

Find that hard to believe...tho the computers used in the production of Babylon 5 had to be smuggled out of the US as there was an embargo on exporting high-end machines ...at the time I think they were Amiga 3000s ...the then ultimate graphic processing gizmos on the planet...

Interesting vid.
    If it is a West Coast regulation and it is 'true' I'd be unsurprised.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Methinks those who make these laws have spent too much time in the sun.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

The end result of the current ultra left wing woke education system.....
    Matt

Source

The issue is not the essential power of the machine, but it's consumption. The issue is Dell's inability to comply with CA power regulations.

It was not an edict but Dell's choice to stop selling the machine as they were unable to comply.

California, Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington recently adopted new energy consumption standards that impact sales of certain pre-built PCs.
    Last edited by RayHff; July 28th, 2021 at 05:40. Reason: edit

At first it sounded like a conspiracy theory to me.

Note that when you copy the link to the video, it does not appear to be a real YouTube address - https://youtu.be/N5fc5ZX6Kzk - note the period between the u and the b in youtu.be that isn't present in the actual Youtube url.

Still, the video can be found on the real Youtube, and there's a long string of comments that don't clear anything up.

I checked at Snopes but they don't have anything on it yet.

This might be real, but for now I suggest deep skepticism, though RayHff's post makes it seem credible.

I'm sure we'll find out one way of the other pretty soon. Either result won't surprise me much.

Try Google

Just Google:

California computer power consumption

Noted from Dell:

Dell's high-performance Aurora R10 and Aurora R12 (both Intel and AMD-based) desktops "cannot be shipped to the states of California, Colorado, Hawaii, Oregon, Vermont or Washington due to power consumption regulations adopted by those states," a notice over the company's website reads.
    Last edited by RayHff; July 28th, 2021 at 06:22. Reason: added info

That silly law will NOT stop people from driving to other states to buy powerful computers and bring them to California. Or that will not stop people from buying powerful pcs for offices and then bring the pcs to homes

Regards,

Aharon

I didn't have time to watch the whole video, so perhaps this is already addressed. However CA, as well as many other states, offer tax incentives to entice people into electric cars. I'm struggling to understand the "logic" behind banning certain hi-po PCs that will only be bought by a relatively small portion of the population, while simultaneously encouraging EVs...whose recharging requires a far greater draw on the electric grid. This seems a bit inconsistent if the concern is supposedly about energy consumption.
    -Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post
    That silly law will NOT stop people from driving to other states to buy powerful computers and bring them to California. Or that will not stop people from buying powerful pcs for offices and then bring the pcs to homes

Regards,

Aharon
    OR stop a mass exodus of people saying "I'm done with you!" and leaving said states.

Hmmmm, no mention of cryptocurrency mining in any of the articles. Those doing the crypto mining are using energy like crazy. Which according to one source is about 80 terawatt-hours of electricity annually. Something like 23 coal-fired plants needed to support it.

ICE is next, with the push to electric.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    OR stop a mass exodus of people saying "I'm done with you!" and leaving said states.
    My younger son resides in AZ and is selling his residence NOW before the tidal wave of fleeing CA residents hits the metro Phoenix area.

Just wondering: many cities, counties, etc have had residential "smart meters" installed on homes and businesses to track the amount of energy going into a specific home or business in real time, and allow allocation of unused energy from that building to areas either within or outside of the state in question. Objective is to prevent complete power failures in certain areas by allowing electricity supply to approach "brownout" conditions in one area to keep another area from losing power altogether. If these devices allow power usage in a home to be tracked in real time, what are the odds one of these high-draw computers could be detected in a residence via the meter?

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    My younger son resides in AZ and is selling his residence NOW before the tidal wave of fleeing CA residents hits the metro Phoenix area.

Just wondering: many cities, counties, etc have had residential "smart meters" installed on homes and businesses to track the amount of energy going into a specific home or business in real time, and allow allocation of unused energy from that building to areas either within or outside of the state in question. Objective is to prevent complete power failures in certain areas by allowing electricity supply to approach "brownout" conditions in one area to keep another area from losing power altogether. If these devices allow power usage in a home to be tracked in real time, what are the odds one of these high-draw computers could be detected in a residence via the meter?
    It's all a bit absurd to be targetting computers. Mine's a what one would assume is 'high power' as it's a 1200watt PSU...and I run it 24/7/365.
    However....
    A single bar electric radiator can draw 1200 watt CONSTANT - not peak.
    The advantages of a 'high power' computer is far lower strain on the PSU resulting in less likelihood of failure through overload, etc which is a far bigger impact on resources when your house burns down....
    The max throughput for a single GPO in Oz is 2400watt...which "coincidentally" is the max power consumption of an electric radiator for general use.
    If Govts are getting anal about energy consumption...solution is simple....confiscate all electric heaters....;p
    Welcome to 1984.....but we're a tad late....

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Over here we call them "space heaters," I think. I never thought of that. In theory, this means not only will big-draw computers be banned - but possibly any other big-draw appliance such as a space heater, as you say. We also have faux fireplaces that are a form of space heater and do throw heat, and draw their share of power, too. I'm sure we could identify other possible devices in an average home that could be considered offenders under these rules. Looks like before this is over winters are going to get rather cool for a lot of people. I remember Jimmy Carter giving one of his fireside chats with his "Mr. Rogers" sweater on, and a fire going in the background, and how we're all going to be a little cool in winters from now on (that would have been 1978 maybe?). Not enough fuel and electricity to go around. Looks like the electric utilities are beginning to say the same thing as Jimmy - hot in summer, cool in winter. Never thought it would take this long, or this route. You've always got to BOL for the beginnings of the old "slippery slope," I guess.

Blog Entries
    This, and the predictable histrionics has zero to do with the FSX sim platform.

We have the general news forum section for a reason; that’s where this junk belongs, IMHO.

I live in one of the states affected by these new energy regulations. We were planning to sell our single family home, and keep our much more manageable smaller townhouse as we are getting up there in age. But, with everything going to electric (including cars) we came to the conclusion that the townhouse has become a liability as there is no way for the HOA to upgrade the infrastructure to handle electric cars, solar panels, battery storage, back-up generators, etc. For example, with the townhouse we were initially denied (by the local building department) a request upgrade/increase the capacity our electrical panel so we could install a split-system air conditioner. Their reasoning was that though the townhouse is residential in use, it is still subject to a commercial code review because there are multiple units and multiple owners within the structure. Thus the request for this upgrade requires a review of the entire electrical infrastructure by a licensed electrical engineer, which for us would be cost prohibitive. Needless to say, we dropped that request. By contrast, our request to upgrade the electrical panel on our single family home was approved in one day.

So the issues with the new high-powered gaming computers is just the tip of the incoming iceberg.

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

I've always built my own for the past 20+ years so I'm not bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    At first it sounded like a conspiracy theory to me.

Note that when you copy the link to the video, it does not appear to be a real YouTube address - https://youtu.be/N5fc5ZX6Kzk - note the period between the u and the b in youtu.be that isn't present in the actual Youtube url.

Still, the video can be found on the real Youtube, and there's a long string of comments that don't clear anything up.

I checked at Snopes but they don't have anything on it yet.

This might be real, but for now I suggest deep skepticism, though RayHff's post makes it seem credible.

I'm sure we'll find out one way of the other pretty soon. Either result won't surprise me much.
    The youtu.be URL formatting is a shorter version of many valid YouTube links. So it's quite real.

Cheers
    dutcheeseblend.blogspot.nl

Living by the grace of our Lord

It is a truly interesting thread, so it strongly needs an own section. This may not be found inside the FSX General Discussion Thread later on. And it disturbs this topic.
    So maybe the admins can help
    Best regards, Manfred.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutcheeseblend View Post
    The youtu.be URL formatting is a shorter version of many valid YouTube links. So it's quite real.

Cheers
    So it appears! And as I expected, I'm not surprised (and wouldn't have been either if it turned out not to be so.)

Members who have read this thread: 0