Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant Unit Failures

Thread: Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant Unit Failures

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs

Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant Unit Failures

Has anyone experienced failure of their Flap and Gear levers on this unit?

My unit failed on these two functions (3) days ago, everything else works great. My Alpha unit and the old Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback unit work great.

I've been searching some of the other Flight sim forums as well as Google, MSFS Zendesk, etc. No reports so far. The last thing added to the Community folder was the PMDG DC-6 ( not related as these lever worked correctly with that addon)

Could it be that the AFC_Bridge file in the Community folder got corrupted somehow or it is just a flat out mechanical failure ? I'm picking at straws here!

Anyway, I've initiated a support ticket request over at the HoneyComb website this morning.

Thanks, Don

Just received my Bravo Throttle unit last weekend. Have not had time to hook it up and try it, yet. Have to redo my control mounting stand, because the pull tension on the Alpha yoke moves my rather weak table I was using for my Saitek equipment with no problems.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

I've added pics gleaned from the Honeycomb web site ( they have copyrights on images)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ThrootleMain2_720x_3.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	83479

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ThrootleMain2_720x_4.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	113.5 KB 
ID:	83480

modelr , go over to Mark's Youtube channel and watch his videos on configuring the Alpha & Bravo units ... he provides an invaluable service for the Flight sim community. I received my Bravo unit in mid-January ... only 7 months old .....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpz4cDk4JanMkUz6yb2M2jQ

FlameOut, you mentioned the system working on the PMDG DC-6. I am wondering how you control your props and mixtures, as well as cowl flaps, Do you use ganged buttons or separate controllers. I have a couple sets of Saitek, (now Logitech) throttles, that could be used, if necessary.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Quote Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
    modelr , go over to Mark's Youtube channel and watch his videos on configuring the Alpha & Bravo units ... he provides an invaluable service for the Flight sim community. I received my Bravo unit in mid-January ... only 7 months old .....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpz4cDk4JanMkUz6yb2M2jQ
    We're typing at the same time!! I ordered my Bravo unit in Jan, from Sporty's Pilot Shop, right after ordering my Alpha unit direct from Honeycomb. Honeycomb ran out of the Bravo unit as I was ordering!!!

Will spend some time watching those videos when I get a few hours later today or tomorrow. Thanks.
    Last edited by modelr; July 3rd, 2021 at 04:56.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

I actually use Mark's 4 engine jet configuration to control the props (thrust), seeing that HoneyComb did not have the fore sight to build the Bravo unit to give us flight simmers : 4 thrust, 4 props, 4 mixture levers ( not to mention the Spruce Goose (8 of each), the B-52 (8 jets) nor the good ol' B-36 ( 6 turning & 4 burning) .... everything else in PMDG's DC-6 I just click on the levers, knobs & switches using the mouse.

For now I'm busted down to single engine, non retractable gear aircraft, using my old back up Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback unit ... not a real bad thing eh! Low & Slow for me until this gets resolved.

.... now that I think about it .... my mind was clouded with anger .... I could not even use my mouse to raise or lower the gear and flaps in any of the aircraft that I did testing on .. the DC-6, 747, DA-62, King Air, Beech Craft Baron, hence my statement about the possibility of a corrupted AFC_Bridge file sitting in my Community folder .....

OT but related... Using the old MS FFB unit... I've read that different people, you included, are able to use this old unit. How are you connecting it? Mine uses the old sound outlet plug on the oooold video cards?? I haven't had it out of the closet since USB became available!!
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

... for right now I'm stumped .... has it got gas in it? .. (think of Carl .... Sling Blade)

Long 4th of July weekend, cook outs, her folks coming over ( mine have all passed on ) yard work and other stuff, have a great 4 th of July everyone.

My Sidewinder is the newer model, hooked direct via USB port ...

... for right now I'm stumped .... has it got gas in it? .. (think of Carl .... Sling Blade)

Long 4th of July weekend, cook outs, her folks coming over ( mine have all passed on ) yard work and other stuff, have a great 4 th of July everyone.

My Sidewinder is the newer model, hooked direct via USB port ...

Newer model. Might have guessed. Explains everything. Didn't know they updated it. Loved mine back in the days...

Happy July 4th everyone.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

... Yep I bought it when FSX came out $99 something .... she had a fit that I would spend that kinda $$$ on toy parts for a stooopid computer game ! .... ( let's see ... shoes, purses, dresses, new furniture, and stuff ....)

Just received email from Honeycomb "..... has been passed on to service department ...."

I also received notice that my extra (2) regular GA throttle levers ( not the TOGA type ) are to deliver on July 5th. I'm gonna use these as the DC-6 throttles instead of the (4) jet engine ones ... too bad they do not offer a "lollypop" rounded old school lever.

I also subscribe to Russ Barlow's Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...11s9mYQ2POJO8g in hopes that he could design the old lollypop type of lever. Alas he only designs and does not manufacture his ideas. I do not have a 3-D printer nor do I know of anyone that does.

As I said the ol' Sidewinder works for now. This has got to be mechanical, electronic, corrupted coding, or MSFS itself. I'll keep pounding away at it after all the other stuff I've got to do.

I also received notice that my extra (2) regular GA throttle levers ( not the TOGA type ) are to deliver on July 5th. I'm gonna use these as the DC-6 throttles instead of the (4) jet engine ones ... too bad they do not offer a "lollypop" rounded old school lever.
    Just got my extra GA levers yesterday. Makes a big difference when flying the DC-6. I wonder how long it will be before someone markets a "Bravo Throttle Quad compatible" set of old school levers.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

I managed to get a old CH Products Throttle quadrant, cheap, off of a auction site years ago. Works great! NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I managed to get a old CH Products Throttle quadrant, cheap, off of a auction site years ago. Works great! NC
    I had a CH Products Throttle Quadrant that I replaced with the Honeycomb Bravo just this past March.
    Done it's job for 20+ years.

Even managed to sell it together with my old CH Products Yoke.

Now that I am used to the Bravo, after spending quite some time configuring it for my different aircraft and on different Flight Simulator platforms, I could not go back. Loving the Bravo. And yes, also the Alpha.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

My Bravo arrived by UPS today... managed to find it at pilotmall.com for the SRP.

Now just trying to figure out if the desk is big enough to house it

Thanks for the tips in this thread.

Fras

Finally got my Alpha and Bravo set up, with my Saitek rudder pedals, but having weird occurrences with different aircraft. With the Aeroplane Heaven Cessna 140, it works flawlessly, however, with both the default Beech Barron, and the Carenado Piper PA-44 Seminole, when doing stay in pattern test flight, (multiple times,) both aircraft completely disconnect from ALL flight controls, including the keyboard, when about 1/2 way through the downwind leg. They will strangely reconnect after rough landing in cornfield, by themselves. Tried restarting sim a couple times, restarting computer a couple times, always does the same thing. Only other aircraft I've had time to try, which was first one, was the Carenado Waco YMF-5, which worked fine.

I do have the Bravo Throttle unit configured for single and twin-engined aircraft in separate configurations.

Any ideas??
    Last edited by modelr; July 10th, 2021 at 13:55.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Hey,

I thought I'd post again on the latest developments .... it somehow fixed itself !

I had been all over other forums to find an answer and could not find anything about the Honeycomb Alpha or Bravo units having hardware failures.

I even tried this post from the AVSIM FORUM: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/6...ottle-led-fix/

remilton

Posted Sunday 7/11/2021 at 02:11 PM
    Yesterday I received my Bravo Throttle and quickly realized I had an issue with the led's not working or at least not working unless I ran the "AFC_Bridge.exe" manually. I noticed that many others were having the same issue and also for others it was working just fine. So I assumed it must be a fixable and was probably just an incorrect install procedure. Anyway, for those who may experiencing this issue here is the exact process I used to get my Bravo installed and starting up. I also posted this on Aerosoft's forum.

I Fixed this issue on my computer (MS Store install) and here is how I did it.

1. Make sure your Bravo throttle is plugged in then go to Windows Control Panel and uninstall "Aerosoft's - Honeycomb - MSFS"

2. go to "AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_ 8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

3. Delete file "exe.xml"

4. Run the install as administrator, program "AS_HONEYCOMB_MSFS_V2100.exe" or whatever the latest version is.

That's it, if you follow these instructions precisely the light on your Bravo throttle should now work.

I hope that helps someone.

I contacted Honeycomb as stated above and this was the reply "
    ....this solution did not work for me since I had a presumed hardware failure and this is addressing the LED lights problem and it reinstalls the AFC_Bridge folder in one's Community folder.

The folks at Honeycomb got back in touch with me .... a snippet from their email... "

Joshua (Honeycomb Aeronautical)

Jul 13, 2021, 15:37 PDT

Thank you for reaching out! As a few steps of verifying the issue, please open Windows' 'Setup USB game controllers' application. In there, you can test if the axes work outside of the simulator. When you've tested the gear and flaps lever, please record and send a video of you testing it.
    On the 14th. 15th. of this month I kept trying this and the gear & flap levers did not even show up .... or make the little red lights blink on and off. Last night after I got home from work my daughter was going to help me rehearse and record a video of my process of testing the (Setup USB game controllers) and all of a sudden all of the little red lights blinked on and off .... including the gear & flap levers.

I tested it on the PMDG DC-6, BARON, 747, KINGAIR and it works now for whatever reason .... GREMLINS

Thanks Don

Hey,

I thought I'd post again on the latest developments .... it somehow fixed itself !

I had been all over other forums to find an answer and could not find anything about the Honeycomb Alpha or Bravo units having hardware failures.

I even tried this post from the AVSIM FORUM: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/6...ottle-led-fix/

....this solution did not work for me since I had a presumed hardware failure and this is addressing the LED lights problem and it reinstalls the AFC_Bridge folder in one's Community folder.

The folks at Honeycomb got back in touch with me .... a snippet from their email... "

On the 14th. 15th. of this month I kept trying this and the gear & flap levers did not even show up .... or make the little red lights blink on and off. Last night after I got home from work my daughter was going to help me rehearse and record a video of my process of testing the (Setup USB game controllers) and all of a sudden all of the little red lights blinked on and off .... including the gear & flap levers.

I tested it on the PMDG DC-6, BARON, 747, KINGAIR and it works now for whatever reason .... GREMLINS

Thanks Don
    Gremlins....

Kind of answers my previous question also, as everything seems to be working fine now. Don't know what I did either.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Members who have read this thread: 0