Virtavia P-2 Neptune Update Package

Thread: Virtavia P-2 Neptune Update Package

Virtavia P-2 Neptune Update Package

So a lot of people in the virtual firefighting community were underwhelmed by the Virtavia Neptune on multiple levels. I'm being one of those people. Decided to update it to fly more like the real Neptune and add some things that make it a little more enjoyable to fly as an airtanker. Some may know they came out with a "remastered" package of it last year I think it was, that included a couple airtanker versions with the Navy versions. I've also added custom sounds to it to better represent the unique roar of the P-2Vs. The roar of R3350s with the howl of J34 turbo jets was non-existent in the original. Which I think is one of those things that makes the Neptune iconic. Nothing really sounds like it. I've changed the weights, added payload stations, made the plane truly 4 engines, and changed the overall flight dynamics. as well as some housekeeping things to make it work better with FireFighterX for those that use it. Also added several more liveries. 7 to be exact. Testing is currently being done on them and I should be releasing the update soon. Also, those that fly the Navy versions exclusively, the aircraft.cfg file can just be changed to better match the Navy versions with your own reference. Anyone who obviously flies those versions can also use this update to freshen up their P-2s. This will just be a coding change really. No model conversion work or anything like that. I'm having it tested in both FSX and P3D versions of their Neptune.

Sound Preview:

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

Outstanding!!!!! NC

Just to be sure, is your project going to require the Virtavia P-2V upgrade for P3D or is this a standalone release that we can add Navy textures from the older (FSX) Virtavia P2V?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Just to be sure, is your project going to require the Virtavia P-2V upgrade for P3D or is this a standalone release that we can add Navy textures from the older (FSX) Virtavia P2V?

Thanks
    Yes it will be required, but not just for P3D, FSX as well. The update is an aircraft.cfg update, AIR file update, additional airtanker operator liveries, some optional effects added, and new sounds. The update is planned to be a drop in replacement of the stock files listed above for either FSX or P3D versions of their Remastered Neptune. No models, panels, or core files like that. I have this setup for the new firebomber versions included in their remastered release of them. But the only thing that would really need to be done would be to adjust the Navy version's operating weights to make the .cfg fit the Navy variants. And maybe rename the payload station I added if you so wished. In theory this update would likely even work with their old FSX/FS2004 models as far as I could tell (could be wrong though), the aircraft internally, hasn't changed much from their Alphasim version, I felt they flew identical to one another when I tested it. FSX will have some changes that are different to the P3D version, but all that will be listed in the readme on where to add/change things. I'm having it tested in both sims at the moment.

I just purchased the P3D V4 version today: I'm looking forward to the upgrade package.

I've added some additional features to the Neptune this past weekend after some suggestions I got I've added some more lights to the aircraft, as well as added some immersive squeaking brake sounds. Since this is also something the Neptunes are kind of known for. Don't worry that will be optional, it might annoy some people (maybe). Jet engine smoke effects are working as well. All this will be included with the update package. I've also done some custom thumbnails for the firefighting versions for FSX users. I have some more tests to get done with beta testers in both FSX and P3D, but hopefully I should have this update package done relatively soon.

Some Preview Media:

Short firefighting mission out of Prescott ATB

Putting some line around a series of small lightning fires out of Porterville ATB tonight
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p2v.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	82439

Repaints Coming in the Pack:

Name:	neptunes.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	82440

I've updated a number of things of late. Been trying to optimize the changes so that they work in both P3Dv4+ and FSX. I've resolved the engines not being able to be restarted now after converting it to be an actual 4 engine airplane. This has also allowed me to continue working on the sounds. I've started working on integrating the real life startup and shutdown sounds of the outboard Westinghouse J34 turbojets. This will add to the immersion if you decided to shutdown the J34s in flight (which is done quite a bit). I've also added modified strobe lights to the nose glass to mimic the real life pulse lights, to add to visibility for low light / low visibility conditions. This is primarily for the firefighting versions. Those flying only the Navy versions can disable those nose glass lights in the aircraft.cfg file. I've also added missing strobe, beacon, and tail nav/position lights. The Neptune is also known (at least in aerial firefighting) to have some noisy brakes. So this has also been added for both FSX and P3D users (separate panel.cfg entry codes and control gauges will be included for each sim). A lot of these upgrades should add to the immersion hopefully, these minor updates coupled with the flight dynamics, should hopefully yield a much more enjoyable airplane to fly, either as an airtanker or a maritime patrol bomber.

J34 startup WIP

Name:	p2v.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	82675

Scorch,

You outdid yourself! Those sounds are beyond incredible. I close my eyes, and am instantly back on the flight line. Thanks for all the hard work! NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Scorch,

You outdid yourself! Those sounds are beyond incredible. I close my eyes, and am instantly back on the flight line. Thanks for all the hard work! NC
    Thank you Navy Chief, it's been quite a project. It started out with just being a repaint pack, but I'm glad it progressed into this update. I know my update is primarily airtanker related, but I'm hoping it will benefit those using it in it's Patrol configuration as well.

I have what looks to be the final iteration being tested by beta testers over the coming week. Baring any issues that occur, this is still on track for getting released this month. I'm currently in the process of updating the textures. I could upgrade the airtanker textures to 4K, but wont due to the pack needing to be compatible with FSX. Plus it will also keep file sizes down. Since the model itself lacks any real surface detail, the textures have to do all the heavy lifting in that department on this model, so I want them to look better than they started out from me. I've also been adding things to allow things like the squeaking brakes to work in FSX as well, the code changes for the panel.cfg file have also been tested now, so it looks like the extra features are also all good to go for FSX users.

Name:	P-2c.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	858.5 KB 
ID:	82706

Name:	p-2d.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	524.3 KB 
ID:	82707

Thus far beta tests have run and come out without issue in both FSX and P3D, so I'm just finishing up the pack and will be releasing this soon, both on here on SOH and on Simviation. This is a preview of the internal and external finalized sounds. You'll also be able to see and hear some of the other additional enhancements I added for immersive enjoyment.

Textures have also been finished for the additional liveries I'm adding.

Name:	nep2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	295.2 KB 
ID:	82737

Name:	nep1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	305.0 KB 
ID:	82738

Beta has been completed. All last minute changes and additions are now completed. Now assembly of the package is really all that's left for release. As of right now, baring anything strange presents itself I'll be uploading the update pack on the 21st of May or early morning on the 22nd. Final file size looks to be around 110mb, so it's a moderate size update. Granted it's mostly liveries and sounds. Pretty satisfied with how this turned out. I may be a bit biased, but I think this whole modification pack makes the Neptune more fun to fly. The consensus in beta seemed to be the same as well. Hopefully you all enjoy it when it comes out, either as an airtanker or as a patrol platform. Next update will likely be that the pack has been released.

Name:	P-2a.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	747.5 KB 
ID:	82813
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P-2c.jpg  

Looking forward to it.

P-2V Pack Released!

As promised the pack has been uploaded here on SOH as well as Simviation. Thank you all for the interest and those that participated in the project. Hopefully this breaths some more life into this product.

Name:	P-2c2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	873.1 KB 
ID:	82864

SOH Link:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...0&linkid=28087

Got it thanks.

All I used out of the update was the sound and air file(s). The engine sounds the same as here

The "clear left" and "clear right" was the giveaway. What was changed in the air file?

I don't hear the J34 sounds on startup (not as in your startup video ^). I am just interested in adding what would benefit the Navy versions.

FWIW, using P3D V4.5 -
    Last edited by gray eagle; May 22nd, 2021 at 07:08.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Got it thanks.

All I used out of the update was the sound and air file(s). The engine sounds the same as here

The "clear left" and "clear right" was the giveaway. What was changed in the air file?

I don't hear the J34 sounds on startup (not as in your startup video ^). I am just interested in adding what would benefit the Navy versions.

FWIW, using P3D V4.5 -
    Yes, that was the base for the sounds, however, my changes are from the addition of the J34s to that sound pack, including a rather large sound.cfg file edit to not only add those new sounds, but to also make the Neptune 4 engines in the sound.cfg AND the aircraft itself. This is also what's mimicked in the aircraft.cfg file edits. Without the aircraft.cfg engine configuration change to 4 engines and power edits, you wont hear the J34s, since the sounds are tied to the 2 engines I added. The stock Virtavia Neptune is only 2 engines. I've converted it to actually be 4 engines, like the real aircraft. The AIR file also adds this, it had a lot changed in it to match the weights, etc. I removed the old floaty unrealistic flight dynamics with more realistic ones. I changed a ton in the aircraft.cfg file to also coincide with those flight characteristics. So without those changes, you wont get the added effects of the J34s or the realistic flight dynamics. If you just want the Navy versions, they have been left in the aircraft.cfg file I included for this reason, as this was designed to also benefit them as well, you can just remove the firebomber versions and/or liveries from your install or from that aircraft.cfg, whichever you prefer. The only thing you'd need to really change in the aircraft.cfg for the Navy versions would be the operational weights. As they differ from the airtanker's, rename the payload station I added from, "retardant tank" to bombay or whatever you'd like to name it, and removed the close brackets for the wingtip fuel tanks. Which I believe I deactivated for the airtanker versions.

Members who have read this thread: 4