Trouble with CFS3 patch v3.1a
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with CFS3 patch v3.1a

Trouble with CFS3 patch v3.1a

Hello everyone, I'm pleased to find this community of gamers still actively supporting CFS3! I'm obviously new, and have a "newbie" question. I have the 2002 Microsoft 2 DVD version 1.0 installed on my D:/ drive (I'm familiar with the pitfalls of installing older games into the Program Files/Program Files (x86) folders of the C:/ drive). I have a capable gaming laptop, with 64bit Windows 10 OS updated to the latest version. Running the game in Vista (Service Pack 2) Compatibility. Successfully updating to v3.1 went as expected, however attempting to update from the downloaded (from this site) CFS3 Aircraft Update v3.1a has proven less than agreeable. The zipped file ACUpdate.exe provides the following:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cfs3-Patch3-1a.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	82281

"Update Aborted"?

Without an included Readme or further instruction, I'm at a loss as to what the ACUpdate application requires? I've unzipped the file to my desktop; I've unzipped the file to the main game file; no difference in outcome........Update Aborted.

Unlike the 3.1 patch, which installed correctly to my D:/ drive game, does THIS 3.1a patch require a different approach?

I am not sure but I have win10 Pro and always update to WinXP SP3; never touch Vista personally! It's been so long since I used the discs that I am not sure what your problem might be. Actually, I do keep the stock install in Prog files 86, but copy it into the root C:\ and in fact D:\. I use the MultiCFS3.exe to get all the different installs going in the Appdata folder. I feel the stickies will be a great help, plus sixstrings has just re installed onto a new PC so he should know.
    Good luck and nice to see new or returning faces!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Hello and welcome aboard. I loaded everything in program files and loaded updates there. Then moved folder to program files(x86) afterward. Set compatibility to win xp service pack 2 and set and make sure you have administrator control of the CFS3 .exe . You may also need the unmentionable .exe to work in win10. Hope this helps. Regards ,Scott

Thank you mongoose and sixstrings5859 for the response.....on a holiday weekend too!

I'll try removing the game and allowing it to reinstall into it's default install folder (Program File I think?). Maybe I put the cart before the horse by installing it directly to the D:/ drive before updating to the patches? I can understand if the 3.1a patch is looking for the main game files to be placed in a certain folder, it get's its panties in a wad when it can't find it. I do plan to mod the game with some of the expansion packs found here, so having the game patched to 3.1a seems to be the minimum "base" place to start. I've downloaded the MultiCFS3 ready to use when I get past this patch install issue. That "unmentionable" file is already in use. I learned a long time ago to avoid needing the disk to start a game is a good thing! I also know using something like Large Address Aware or the 4 gig Patch can help these old games climb over the memory limiting wall when modded files are added. I don't know if that's a problem with CFS3 being modded but I'll be looking for that when the time comes.

Blog Entries
    Make sure you get the mission builder installed to your stock CFS3 .Please feel free to ask for any help. That is what we are here for.There is a lot to take in for someone new so just take your time and let us know how you progress. Regards,Scott

Thank you Scott.

I tried uninstalling my game through Windows "Apps and features" menu and it couldn't find the install wizard where I had originally placed it.....C:/My Games folder.....DUHH. I then remembered I'd moved it to the D:/ drive AFTER installing it because I had an open drive with plenty of space besides my C:/. When I moved it back to the original drive/folder....POOF.... the 3.1a patch stated it was successful after running it!! I put a new shortcut back on the desktop and the game started as expected. So, the 3.1a patch just needed to follow the original installation path in order to do its magic.

One thing though, how do you know v3.1a is actually in the game? When I opened the "About" options menu I expected it to read v3.1a.......it just read "v3.1 Build 030203.01"

Is this what you'll see after the ACUpdate.exe states it was "Successful" after running?

Mine shows 3.1.030203.01 if that helps! That's also in my ETO Expansion install.

Blog Entries
    Yours is correct. Now make sure you have the mission builder installed and then go to running in windows 10 sticky to see how to set your configuration exe to run right once you've moved CFS3 to program files (x86) or another drive and run it once.

Mongoose, looks like that's what I've got. Maybe that's all there is to it. From what I know, this 3.1a patch fixes 4 engine aircraft in game?? I bought this game in Nov. 2002 (still have the Circuit City receipt) and decided to dust it off. Since Microsoft has pretty much washed its hands from support, sites like this are invaluable.

My intention is to load up the PTO Rising Sun mod after getting the MultiCFS3 installed. From what Scott said, it sounds like the mission builder mod should also be included into the main game file before the expansion packs.

Scott, does the different expansion packs require the clean CFS main game to be in the "Program Files (x86)" folder before they find it? Or, are they like the 3.1a patch, they will go where ever you first install the game? Or, can you direct the installs, providing a new path for the game?

Blog Entries
    The only expansion you will need CFS3 in program files is PTO-RS. Later in the install you can move it wherever you want. All other expansions can be loaded from wherever your Stock CFS3 is,ie.-program files(x86). You must have the mission builder installed before you install the expansions. ALWAYS keep a copy of a stock(updated) CFS3. You will need it for the other expansions,and believe me you will. I recommend you start with the Battle of Britain expansion found here : https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob ,or another that is really simple to install is MAW (Mediterranean Air War). It can be found now at : http://www.mrjmaint.com/CFS3/MAWHome.html . Both offer a lot and are much simpler to install for just beginning. Sounds like you know a bit about computers so PTO-RS may not be that bad. Just follow the instructions given in the sticky section for installing PTO-RS to a tee and you sould be fine. Good luck and let us know how it is going. Regards,Scott

I just installed the Mission Builder SDK.....I think? Much like the 3.1a patch, is there anyway of checking if the correct files have been added or not?

I assume you mean the folder called 'mp'. That is the mission builder. See also my post #69 in the thread http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...dge-base/page3
    There is a lot on mission building in various sticky threads and other threads in SOH.

Blog Entries
    Hello Cap' , You need to find your install folder and open it scroll down. You will see the mission builder shortcut,double click on it and your mission builder should load. Take time and get to know the sim's different files,this will come in handy later. You should then be ready to install your first expansion. I started with missions and aircraft first but that was back before any expansions were made.Just take it slow and read everything you can on the subject.There is a lot of info here and the search function has help me a lot. When in doubt ask,someone has probably been there and done that. Regards,Scott

Thank you again Scott and Mongoose.....your direction and links have helped!!

I'm like the blind man having someone explain what an elephant looks like.....until you actually "feel" it, can you know what it really is? I don't have a file called "mb" in my main game folder, even though the install wizard for the missionsdk.msi said it was successfully installed. Mongoose, thank you for providing the image of your game files from the link you gave (a picture is worth a thousand words!!), I don't have it as shown.

I think I'll uninstall my game and start over, allowing the game to load in it's default folders, update with the two patches, do the unmentionable thingy, then try installing the Mission Builder SDK. I'll keep you updated as I go because I know how important it is to hear positive results from advice given!

Blog Entries
    In your main CFS3 folder you should see a MB shortcut icon. Click on it and your Mission builder should load. Regards, Scott

Again, thanks so much for the help. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the game into the wizards default "Quick Install" folder (which happens to be on my Windows 10 computer the "Program Files(x86)" folder). Updated with the two patches, and the Mission Building install without a hitch! I'm going to run the game once, then start the installation of the PTO Rising Sun expansion.

Again thanks for the help.

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
    Again, thanks so much for the help. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the game into the wizards default "Quick Install" folder (which happens to be on my Windows 10 computer the "Program Files(x86)" folder). Updated with the two patches, and the Mission Building install without a hitch! I'm going to run the game once, then start the installation of the PTO Rising Sun expansion.

Again thanks for the help.
    hi CapnScurvy, welcome aboard! FWIW, it depends what you want to do with CFS3, personally I don't see installing the mission builder as a huge priority unless you want to do a lot of editing of mission files. Otherwise, why bother?

As for the location of the install, I steer away from C drive or anything to do with "Program Files", x86 or no. There is absolutely no hard and fast thing requiring you to put the CFS3 installs there.

As for the compatibility settings on the shortcut icon for the exe, I use WinXP sp3 as compatibility setting.

Once you hve an install set up, concentrate on getting the config settings right. Even the best graphics card/CPU setup will stutter if the settings are wrong. There are various guides and threads around to help with setup. I would start by searching for configoverrides.xml here at SOH.

IIRC, the "backup"folder appears in the install once 3.1a is successfully run.

HTH,

Quote Originally Posted by Daiwilletti View Post
    IIRC, the "backup"folder appears in the install once 3.1a is successfully run.
    AH HAA!! So that's why the files in the added BACKUP folder all have a referenced extension "A231"!! Got it!

As for the location of the install, I steer away from C drive or anything to do with "Program Files", x86
    Yes me too. However, I was having so much trouble getting the game to patch up, I decided I'd let the game do its "thing". As I've learned from past older game installations, having the game installed in either of the two Windows "Program" folders will at the very least cause you to run the game as an Administrator.....at the worst won't allow you to modify the game files. Windows thinks changing files in these folders is some sort of virus taking over the program!?! Although, as long as you put the game into it's own created folder on the C:/ drive, I've never had a problem.

Once you hve an install set up, concentrate on getting the config settings right. Even the best graphics card/CPU setup will stutter if the settings are wrong. There are various guides and threads around to help with setup. I would start by searching for configoverrides.xml here at SOH.
    Thanks for that advice.....I'll be looking into this!

================

Before I start on the PTO RS installation, I'm guessing getting the game set up with the MultiCFS3 is the next step.....plus the "unmentionable" thingy.

Blog Entries
    Yes. Then run the sim and set the configuration . Download the PDF instructions found here :http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...and-Rising-Sun Follow the instructions EXACTLY and you should have no problems. I learned the hard way and when i followed the instr. to a tee it was simple.Hope this helps

WRT where to install installs with Win10 pro, I have the following without issues. ALL have set up as XP SP3 compatible and start as administrator.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 3 which is the stock + 3.1 and 3.1a.
    C:\CFS3 ETO ExpansionC and 3 other installs
    D:\CFS3 BoB MkI and 6+ other installs.

My point being, I have no issue with either root C:\ or D:\ installs, but like you, I originally did the base CFS3 in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\, and then copied it into C:\ or D:\ as the base for ETO Expansion, MAW, BoB, etc.In fact once yopu have the base instal you can just copy and past anywhere and use MultiCFS3 to set that install up through the Win10 AppData folder.
    There are lots of things to do with the config file tweaks, uisel file and CTDs. many of these issues are in the http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...knowledge-base thread, plus http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...n-all-skinners! and other stickies related to installing other expansions.

Thanks Mongoose for the good advice. I was planning on getting my working game out of the "Program Files (x86)" and like you, leaving the patched original copy there as a clean backup.

Speaking of CTDs and the like, does this game seem to benefit from a 4gig Patch or a Large Address Aware app? Perhaps Microsoft was aware of computers in the near future (I'm talking when the game was first released 2002) would have more memory than what was "standard" at the time? Maybe they added the script to use available memory as it was necessary? I know many older games didn't and the ability of having access to the amount of memory we use today as "standard" can really help when games reach beyond what they were originally designed to do.......especially when heavily modded files are added. Two older games that I know need help is Sid Meier's Railroads and UbiSoft's Silent Hunter 4.

Just wondering?

Blog Entries
    Here ya go buddy : https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...7555-4Gb-patch Hope this helps. Regards,Scott

Blog Entries
    Just a little incentive ...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shot04-07-21-13-00-40.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	82305

It's very possible Microsoft could see what was needed and either already had the flag "set" to open the game wider than the 2gig limit most games thought was appropriate for the time. Or, they had it in one of their patches. If no one has been complaining about weird stuff occurring during game play, especially when large quantities of assets (planes, ships, terrain etc.) are being rendered.....using a 4gig Patch or LAA won't be much help. Sounds like Microsoft had a better handle on things than most other companies back in the day.

Blog Entries
    It does come in handy in some cases.

Members who have read this thread: 5