First pictures of the PMDG DC-6 for MSFS!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: First pictures of the PMDG DC-6 for MSFS!

First pictures of the PMDG DC-6 for MSFS!

Looks great! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	applause.gif 
Views:	649 
Size:	607 Bytes 
ID:	82275

Greetings
    Tim
    Greetings
    Tim

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

Nice! Looking forward to this
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Looks beautiful in MSFS!
    Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

For only 99.99...

Does look nice. I'd buy it for 50 bucks or less. None of this P3D pricing BS...
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbatc View Post
    For only 99.99...

Agree 100%. By doing so, volume would make up for the price decrease.

Don BP

Quote Originally Posted by Bushpounder View Post
    Agree 100%. By doing so, volume would make up for the price decrease.

Don BP
    Agree with both of you. Looks beautiful, but the pricing is ridiculous! There's a version of the the whole sim that costs less... Just sayin"...

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

For only 99.99...

Where do you get this price? The p3d and xp models were 69.90...

And hey, it's their work, they can ask what they think it is worth. I can't afford a Maserati or Ferrari either (though it hasn't stopped me from driving them occasionally).
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Where do you get this price? The p3d and xp models were 69.90...

And hey, it's their work, they can ask what they think it is worth. I can't afford a Maserati or Ferrari either (though it hasn't stopped me from driving them occasionally).
    It's a made up price in my head. The point is PMDG used P3D as an excuse to hike up their prices since P3D technically wasn't an "entertainment" title. MSFS is so the prices should be a lot lower but it's likely that they won't.

But you are absolutely correct... I won't buy it if it's too much.
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

If they make a version with modern avionics, I might must have to consider this.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

It's a made up price in my head. The point is PMDG used P3D as an excuse to hike up their prices since P3D technically wasn't an "entertainment" title. MSFS is so the prices should be a lot lower but it's likely that they won't.

Seems an slightly odd way of looking at it. its the same amount if not ( usually is ) more work and surely that should be paid for. This is not really aimed at ryanbatc just he happens to have brought it up this time. It could have been me... but then I would be talking to myself?

Heres a run down from a consumers point of view .
    MSFS is an entertainment product and ostensibly *should* have more users running it than P3d/fsx. SO you would think that prices would be less due to a larger market, however ( I am not commenting on the price points and decision made by other devs btw only on the thinking that it is easier/entertainment licence= cheaper/larger market point ).

From a devs point of view there is
    1. More work involved as if you follow Asobos guidelines to the letter there will be at least 4 LODS for both the interior and the exterior. Amongst a host of other things.
    2. The coding is a lot more difficult to achieve the same result that you could get in P3D.
    3. The support is often greater. Despite writing and linking to a guide on how to install the carboard spitfire we recently put out I have received a few ( 3 ) emails on how to install it.

Or to use a metaphor which of the following is going to cost more

A plumber who comes to your house to put in a tap and you have removed the walls, got rid of everything in his way and have sourced everything he needs
    or
    The plumber who needs to remove all your stuff from the bathroom, rip down some of the walls and source the taps etc him/herself.

If a plumber has 20 contracts lined up should he then lower his price point due to a larger demand? Would you expect him to ? I'm pretty sure he wouldnt.

TL;DR : why should a dev who has had to spend more money/time research and development be "required" to sell it for less than it is worth due to a shift in the licencing or some other perceived change?

Again not aimed at you really ryanbatc just happened to be that you were the one that brought it up so please dont take it the wrong way genuinely interested in the thinking behind this standpoint.

Happy holidays BTW.

< wrong emoji but you know.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    ​I like the P3D version and fly it regularly. I am just wondering if there will be a discount for owners of the P3D version.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Blog Entries
    Ya know, I really hate these guys for what they did to the X-Plane community with this very airplane, But I'd buy it.. Yes, Its gorgeous, but more importantly, the quality of their aircraft is well known to be outstanding and it shows, even in the simple shots shown above.. 80 - 100 bucks?? Yes, I'd buy it, and no, I'm not rich, but thats why i'd buy it.. I'm gonna get a lot more use out of a quality product I enjoy, than I would a cheap quickly done model with little thought put into it..
    Pam

I think I might know who is doing the flight model lol, ;-)

LouP

Well there is that other "space" game where the add on ships can cost $5000. As long as there are buyers....
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LouP View Post
    I think I might know who is doing the flight model lol, ;-)

LouP

Afraid its not me ::LOL:: I Think Berndt Stolle is doing it, but thats just a guess at this point.. Might be Roy Holmes..

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Afraid its not me ::LOL:: I Think Berndt Stolle is doing it, but thats just a guess at this point.. Might be Roy Holmes..
    My guess would be Alexander Metzger, who did the FSX/P3D flight dynamics, and who’s active in MSFS (Working Title CJ4, Aerosoft CRJ, AT Simulations Piaggio P.149. But that’s just speculation on my part.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

If this has a vintage cockpit or at least a modernized only cockpit, none of the glass cockpit shenanigans, Iīm very interested. I still donīt have the slightest clue how to work an FMC to get a modern 737 airborne, but I can easily fly the A2A Connie without a manual, because all of the controls and gauges make sense. Hope they figured out some system modelling.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Presumably it will be derived from the P3D DC-6 (itself I think based on the Red Bull DC-6, but older than the current config) and so have mostly period instruments, inop period radios, modern radios and a GPS tucked into the headlining. Alright, screwed to the overhead panel

How well the current MSFS engine and systems 'modelling' can be reworked by PMDG to be acceptable at their price point is the big question...I'll certainly wait and see whilst sticking with my Flight Replicas imports...

Cheers
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    Presumably it will be derived from the P3D DC-6 (itself I think based on the Red Bull DC-6, but older than the current config) and so have mostly period instruments, inop period radios, modern radios and a GPS tucked into the headlining. Alright, screwed to the overhead panel
    Not the Red Bull DC-6 but rather this one (note the family resemblance between the livery and the PMDG house scheme): https://leehamnews.com/2020/09/21/po...stined-to-usa/

It's a bit older and more worn than the Red Bull. And yes, I'd expect the same treatment, or maybe a step back, since MSFS doesn't currently support any third-party GPS units (the Flight 1 and the Reality XP worked with the FSX/P3D version).

The GPS units were a menu option, so it was always possible to fly it with just the (slightly) updated radio nav equipment.

I always liked the PMDG DC-6 for its mix of vintage and modern, so you could fly it effectively in modern airspace. Liked the autopilot, too, better than that fiddly one in the A2A Constellation.

But the bottom line is, you should be able to fly it old-school.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Blog Entries
    welll, I dont think you gotta worry about glass cockpit shenanigans.. The X-Pland 10 version

There's a real-world group restoring the last (?) L-1649 to flying condition by rebuilding it from the ground up. They're also including glass. Count me as a fan, since this is what's realistically needed in order to fly in the modern world. It also fits with my love of anything that looks vintage on the outside but is thoroughly modern inside, like the heretical practice of putting a fuel injected crate engine under the hood of a '65 'Vette. You get the beauty of the old with the reliability of the new!
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    There's a real-world group restoring the last (?) L-1649 to flying condition by rebuilding it from the ground up. They're also including glass. Count me as a fan, since this is what's realistically needed in order to fly in the modern world. It also fits with my love of anything that looks vintage on the outside but is thoroughly modern inside, like the heretical practice of putting a fuel injected crate engine under the hood of a '65 'Vette. You get the beauty of the old with the reliability of the new!
    So, you mean something like this :

Personally, I'd rather turn into a real life garden gnome in charge of the dungheap then to step inside the cockpit of my beloved Spitfire and be confronted with this...

Leave vintage cockpits with steam gauges. They belong together. If you want to fly a glass cockpit choose one of the plastic bathtubs with wings. They also belong together. And plenty to find in MSFS.

Sorry Tom, comments about vintage aircraft in combination with modern instruments will send shivers down my spine (check out Manfred's C-47 in FSX/P3D to know what that could lead to..).

And particularly since your comment is here in a topic about the PMDG DC-6 which features one of the finest and most beautiful steam-gauge cockpits ever. You don't want them to go mess about with that, i'm sure.

Still, all IMHO of course.

To me, that Spit is about as close to bliss as you can get - the perfect blend of new and old! As for the Starliner, I found the video of the work they're doing. Even the clip is that same mix. It's done in the style of a '50's promo film, but highlights the modern resto work. The flight deck looks to be set up like a modern airliner. There's a glimpse of it around the 3:10 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjXDWhYz9UU

I realize my desire for the old/new blending may be considered heresy, but I also believe that it could bring in an entirely new customer base. Get the people that are used to flying the hair dryers with their modern systems to set foot (virtually) in some old heavy iron, and maybe they'll get interested in learning how it was done before "glass" was invented.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I'm with Javis on this one ... that 'Spitfire' is a travesty...

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    welll, I dont think you gotta worry about glass cockpit shenanigans.. The X-Pland 10 version
    I like that! I mean modern radio is fine and makes sense, I can also live with a GPS stashed somewhere (Iīd like to be able to click it away though) for practical reasons. Steam gauges are so much clearer to read, you see everything you need in one glance and donīt have to decipher tons of information stuffed into one screen. I know that is traditionalistic and most likely not the public opinion, but thatīs how Iīm wired. I even regret that my car doesnīt use a throttle cable anymore (while in my job I love finding solutions for the cars of tomorrow). To each his own, itīd be perfect if both variants would be offered with addons, as it sometimes is the case, but as soon as deep system modeling is considered the amount of work this would require is of course insane.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Members who have read this thread: 1