Dumb question time

Thread: Dumb question time

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar

Dumb question time

How can I set the time to System Time (other than using the sliding bar on the map)? In Australia if I want to fly at 1000 or 1400 I am fine but if I wish to fly in England or parts of the USA I am still in darkness. Is there some way to permanently set the sim to System Time or are you stuck with flying in real time.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

I think hitting the live button syncs it all up but I can't check it cuz startup is just dragging for some reason.

LouP

Dumb answer: you can control 'the sun' i.e. time, with the slider here at the yellow arrow, Pat. ;-) What don't you like about that ? Much more convenient then just system time, don't you think ? (which AFAIK is not availble in MSFS). You can do the same with the 'Flight Conditions' menu. IMHO being able to change the time and weather conditions 'on the fly' is one of the great wonders of MSFS. You'll never have to fly in the dark if you don't want to no matter where you want to fly from.

Last edited by Javis; March 25th, 2021 at 21:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Dumb answer: you can control 'the sun' i.e. time, with the slider here at the yellow arrow, Pat. ;-) What don't you like about that ? Much more convenient then just system time, don't you think ? (which AFAIK is not availble in MSFS). You can do the same with the 'Flight Conditions' menu. IMHO being able to change the time and weather conditions 'on the fly' is one of the great wonders of MSFS. You'll never have to fly in the dark if you don't want to no matter where you want to fly from.

Unfortunately I think it might be an aussie thing? or possibly a mixture of steam / aussie / video card / ram / whether a goat has vomited on your lawn issue.

This slider is greyed out on my machine and after I set it in the weather section removed entirely.

So I followed the information found on avsim and turned off live weather , multiplayer etc. It is still greyed out. So I disconnected the internet ( from the computer not from the world... I am just not that powerful! ) and it is still greyed out. I reset the rolling cache as that was seen to have an issue - this was a mistake as I basically lost an hour to it deleting itself.

So exactly like Pat I can only modify the time once and that is at flight generation time. In sim the weather icon that appears at the top when you mouse over that super annoying downwards arrow is not there aaaaannndd the options for what you show in this odd area, with the radio slider buttons, are also greyed out. Pretty much in my case I have to be super happy with the time I want and super happy with the weather or I cant change it. Not super annoying from an end user but from a devs point of view yeh very very annoying when trying to test nightlighting.

So not a dumb question. The more it gets asked the more likely someone might have a fix for this annoying issue. If I fix it I swear I will come in here and post it in bold purple text with large !!! around it because I know we arent the only ones that have this issue and in May google are changing there search algorithms to be more UX focussed so big bold text is likely to score well !!

Well how about that.... All what you're saying here is new to me, Pilto... I'd check the lawn first of course but yeah, it's typically an awesome sight to move thru 24 hours in time in a few seconds during flight and no matter if you're flying above the Patagonian Pampas or above Paris. I am not exactly an expert on hardware but it could be the video card that makes that possible in the first place. Never thought about that really, the time slider worked fine right from the start (my vid card is RTX 2080 Ti).

But you being not able to move the time slider, you're still able to atleast *set* a time for your flight, right ?

Well how about that.... All what you're saying here is new to me, Pilto... I'd check the lawn first of course but yeah, it's typically an awesome sight to move thru 24 hours in time in a few seconds during flight and no matter if you're flying above the Patagonian Pampas or above Paris. I am not exactly an expert on hardware but it could be the video card that makes that possible in the first place. Never thought about that really, the time slider worked fine right from the start (my vid card is RTX 2080 Ti).

But you being not able to move the time slider, you're still able to atleast *set* a time for your flight, right ?

Yes but ONLY from the weather setup section of the free flight area.

So you work out where you want to go. Then you click the weather conditions then you unclick the live icon ( even though you have specified in the options of the sim to not use live ) then you get to set the time. But you had better do that after you have set your weather. If you set the time then set the weather it resets the live option and undoes the time. Any deviation and it will set to whatever the time it thinks you should have. Oddly or perhaps not but if you save a flight at night... and then close the sim and then re-open the sim, load the flight and ... its day.

I wonder if it might be the developer menu... though I may have hit my head when I slipped on the goat vomit on the front lawn.

Blog Entries
    Dumb answer:..You'll never have to fly in the dark if you don't want to no matter where you want to fly from.
    Says who? I can be in the dark at midday. Actually, I am usually in the dark about something in all three of my flights sims.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by pilto von pilto View Post
    Yes but ONLY from the weather setup section of the free flight area.

So you work out where you want to go. Then you click the weather conditions then you unclick the live icon ( even though you have specified in the options of the sim to not use live ) then you get to set the time. But you had better do that after you have set your weather. If you set the time then set the weather it resets the live option and undoes the time. Any deviation and it will set to whatever the time it thinks you should have. Oddly or perhaps not but if you save a flight at night... and then close the sim and then re-open the sim, load the flight and ... its day.
    I have a few whines in the cellar myself about MSFS but this really sounds like wine gone bad, pilto. You sure you don't need a new vid card ?...

I am certainly familiar with what you are saying here, not with MSFS but with some other, earlier sims i used to enjoy. Don't remember which exactly, flightsims, trainsims, trucksims, racesims, shipsims, citybuilders or what have you, but i do remember having had trouble with some of these regarding display stuff, not unlike you are describing. Usually i then had an epiphany after buying a new video card or even a whole new system.

I can reassure you i am not affiliated with any sort of hardware company and i don't want to get you in financial nore matrimonial problems but in the, more or less, 40 years i am kidding myself to be a pilot, traindriver, truckdriver, racing driver, boatmaster, farmer, mayor or dictator i believe stuff not working as it should comes with the trade and usually it's the sordic topic of coin that will heal the situation.

I wonder if it might be the developer menu... though I may have hit my head when I slipped on the goat vomit on the front lawn.
    What exactly do you feed your goats, Pilto ?.. You know there's a 'Goat Simulator' outthere, don't you ?..

Usually i have the dev menu open in MSFS but see no difference regarding display between this and the normal menu whatsoever.

I sure hope you will be able to master the sun (and the weather!) some day in MSFS ! It literally makes MSFS shine !

cheers,
    jan

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    Says who? I can be in the dark at midday. Actually, I am usually in the dark about something in all three of my flights sims.
    Well, i guess we all are, John, makes it all the more fun, doesn't it !

Specifically MSFS is really a dark horse amongst flight sims, isn't it. We can only hope MS/Asobo will be able to brighten it all up for us. It does have tremendous potention, doesn't it. If we'll ever see it in full glory will remain the question.

Btw, when it comes to the topic, re your system, are you in Pilto's camp or in *my* camp ?

I'm almost always kept in the dark and fed BS........
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Blog Entries
    ...Btw, when it comes to the topic, re your system, are you in Pilto's camp or in *my* camp ?
    I am not sure what the question is? What do you mean by "re your system"?

I do know that I wife won't eat goat, however. So, we don't have any in the yard.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

I do know that I wife won't eat goat, however. So, we don't have any in the yard.
    Hes' either talking about my system of getting the sim to start which includes 3 pats on the head and then an irish dancing jig all the while using the left hand to use the mouse when I click the play icon on steam while not looking at the computer screen. That system of starting seems to keep the sim running quickly.

but probably how venerably old my system is. and at first I thought Javis might be right but for one thing. I used to have the sliders. I used to be able to modify the weather/time on the fly. It's since britain,EU update major one that this has happened.

Heres some scientific testing.
    Baz has same system. Exact. Steam everything. ( we have to due to developments being handed to each other etc etc ) The 2 differences are his love of ORBx sceneries, and the rolling cache storage location. He has the slider. So I copied his settings page by page into my system. Still nothing. I am not re-installing this behemoth. I will just battle on. the only time it gets annoying is light testing at that moment in twilight as the pbr rendering is a little boofheady around that time with emissives versus non emissives.

Javis : new system is being worked up looking to do it a little oddly by using a x99 mobo + e5 2678 Xeon for bang for buck. Plus extra coin can go into the pockets of the video card cartel and possibly mr Zuckerberg with oculus support. I get super sick using VR but should probably still have it on hand. ( ok I really want to play Elite in vr - I will take anti seasick tablets for that game )

My current bottle neck i think is disk access speed of the rolling cache and cpu more than the Vid card at least that is what the in game FPs monitor is saying. I have a 1060 6gb. So the hope is to drop a faster more multi-threaded cpu on a mobo that ACTUALLY supports nvme hdds. There are youtube vids on where the x99+xeon is spanking systems double or even triple the price.

Just thought it would maybe be helpful to Mr.Pilto, the OP or others if you would state your experience with the MSFS "time slider on the fly" regarding *your* system, John. Working or greyed-out...

You can always try Microsoft Goat Simulator first.

Quote Originally Posted by pilto von pilto View Post
    Hes' either talking about my system of getting the sim to start which includes 3 pats on the head and then an irish dancing jig all the while using the left hand to use the mouse when I click the play icon on steam while not looking at the computer screen. That system of starting seems to keep the sim running quickly.
    but probably how venerably old my system is. and at first I thought Javis might be right but for one thing. I used to have the sliders. I used to be able to modify the weather/time on the fly. It's since britain,EU update major one that this has happened.
    Really ??.... Sjeeezzz.... A real bummer for you, Pilto. I guess you can do with one of these >

Heres some scientific testing.
    Baz has same system. Exact. Steam everything. ( we have to due to developments being handed to each other etc etc ) The 2 differences are his love of ORBx sceneries, and the rolling cache storage location. He has the slider. So I copied his settings page by page into my system. Still nothing. I am not re-installing this behemoth. I will just battle on. the only time it gets annoying is light testing at that moment in twilight as the pbr rendering is a little boofheady around that time with emissives versus non emissives.
    Aha,I see, sounds pretty irky. Well, i might come across that sooner or later myself, probably later than sooner...

Javis : new system is being worked up looking to do it a little oddly by using a x99 mobo + e5 2678 Xeon for bang for buck. Plus extra coin can go into the pockets of the video card cartel and possibly mr Zuckerberg with oculus support. I get super sick using VR but should probably still have it on hand. ( ok I really want to play Elite in vr - I will take anti seasick tablets for that game ) My current bottle neck i think is disk access speed of the rolling cache and cpu more than the Vid card at least that is what the in game FPs monitor is saying. I have a 1060 6gb. So the hope is to drop a faster more multi-threaded cpu on a mobo that ACTUALLY supports nvme hdds. There are youtube vids on where the x99+xeon is spanking systems double or even triple the price.
    Well, good luck with all that, Pilto, sounds good! ( i loved Elite waaaaay back when, i guess must've been the first edition )

Really ??.... Sjeeezzz.... A real bummer for you, Pilto. I guess you can do with one of these >

Aha,I see, sounds pretty irky. Well, i might come across that sooner or later myself, probably later than sooner...

Well, good luck with all that, Pilto, sounds good! ( i loved Elite waaaaay back when, i guess must've been the first edition )
    It's the 20 odd crashes you get whilst coding switches that are the need for Seriously I once counted them one day but lost it after it reached 37. See it turns out that the stock stuff has errors in it as well. So if you dare to not explicitly end an update_code tag or put a space after a variable ( that bug has been around since fs2004 though so we cant expect it to be fixed now ) it COMPOUNDS on the errors that the sim is already dealing with and that crashes it... a lot.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Asobo arent using the sim to develop and test on but some in house hybrid that is stable enough. That's just me and my tinfoil hat speaking though.

I loved elite back in the day on the amstrad and then the amiga. I got to deadly. Dont ask how far baz went he still holds it over me that he made it to archangel and thargoids used to fear him. It still doesnt impress the ladies at the pub though. The new one is more fidelity better graphics, etc but I just arent as invested in it as I used to be... Or I'm just old and would prefer a cup of tea and midsomer murders on the telly.

What happens when you are using the time slider in the 'Options' pulldown? (Developer Mode)
    They all start with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience .
    The trick is, to fill the bag with experience before you run out of luck . . .

Quote Originally Posted by J.Case View Post
    What happens when you are using the time slider in the 'Options' pulldown? (Developer Mode)

You sir are the hero we all need right now. it isnt as granular as the "real one " as it goes in 1 hour increments... however it works for what I need to do. Thank you for the headsup.

It never occured to me to look there. I shouldnt have to use the dev mode version as it should just work but I'll take it.

Members who have read this thread: 0