Murray Walker

Thread: Murray Walker

Murray Walker

News just through that 'The Voice of Formula 1' died over night (our time) age 97.
    Love him or loathe him, Murray Walker was, and will remain the most recognisable commentator in Formula 1 broadcasting.
    A man who absolutely loved his job and who covered the best years of F1, he was funny, irritating, reflective, parochial, hyper active, frustrating or just plain annoying, but overall, much loved.
    The James and Murray show was always entertaining, if somewhat biased, and could not exist in today's politically correct corporate 'Effwun' circus.
    I wasn't a great fan of 'Muddy Talker' but I must admit to fond memories of the man.
    Vale Mr. Walker.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

A sad day, one of my favourite race commentators of all time(F1, rally-cross, rally, motorcycles, Murray could do them all). The way he could almost predict a driver's demise (even accidentally) was uncanny. If he was praising a driver and raving about his prowess you could almost guarantee he would prang it within seconds!
    Larry

Murrayisms:

"Unless I am very much mistaken.... I AM very much mistaken!"

"Mansell is slowing down, taking it easy. Oh no he isn't IT'S A LAP RECORD."

"This is an interesting circuit, because it has inclines. And not just up, but down as well."

"The lead car is absolutely unique, except for the one behind it which is identical."

"The most important part of the car is the nut that holds the wheel."

"I know it's an old cliche, but you can cut the atmosphere with a cricket stump."

"Tambay's hopes, which were nil before, are absolutely zero now."

"And there's no damage to the car. Except to the car itself."

"That's the first time he had started from the front row in a Grand Prix, having done so in Canada earlier this year."

"How you can crash into a wall without it being there in the first place is beyond me!"

"Excuse me while I interrupt myself"

"And the first five places are filled by five different cars."

Unforgettable!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

In the late 70-ties- early 80-ties cable TV started to arrive in the Netherlands. As the interest in F-1 in the Netherlands was declining, you could not wat F-1 on Dutch television anymore, but we could only follow the races at the BBC. Iconic tune (The chain - Fleetwood Mac), with the iconic voice of Murray Walker. Even when half of what he said was nonsense still always great to listen to.

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 0