KBT L-188 Lockheed Electra for P3DV5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KBT L-188 Lockheed Electra for P3DV5

KBT L-188 Lockheed Electra for P3DV5

This conversion is complete and close to release.

We have been unable to contact KBT directly (KBT here does not accept private messages) but we hope that agreement and permission can be provided by KBT for this conversion and package to be published if they see this post.

The model is completely 64 bit compliant with functional VC (a few limitations) with a revised set of instruments, sound gauges and other gauge rewrites and includes modifications to the interior model to incorporate these changes.

The intention is not for profit and the intent all along was to breath new life into this great model by KBT and preserve it for modern simulators. There will not be a MSFS 2020 version as the members of the group who have worked on this do not use and probably will not use MSFS 2020.

For information The VC .

Note all power instruments now function correctly and starting via overhead switches etc are now operative. New and additional guages to provide accurate replication of the Allison 501 D13 turboprop. Some modifications to align it with the original Electra cockpit layout have been made. 64 bit compliant. And yes the Weather Radar works!
    Performance as per the book (L-188C) Manual. Three pop ups only - the AP, GPS FMC and Avionics - for ease of use in sim but VC components function of these instruments function properly,

The model as per KBT originally in P3DV5.
    The model should be considered to be the Lockheed L-188C variant and no other. Based on fuel, weights and general performance.

Some minor issues with lights due to P3DV5 dynamic lighting and EA.

Fingers and toes crossed Bendy!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Fingers and toes crossed Bendy!
    Mine too. LOVE the Electra.

Kent

Test run of the Cargo Version - in Amerer Air colours. Progress a bit of tidying up at the moment and resolving a few irritating minor issues but no show stoppers. She is flying by the book now (compared to the cockpit videos of the Amerer Air Freight runs across Europe see Youtube) good prop stop now on shutdown and ground idle is now operating correctly and Cabin Pressure gauge has been added in and working. Nothing heard from KBT yet! No more galloping along on the ground with beta and ground idle switches working correctly most of the annunciator warnings or indicators are now operative correctly as well - more I test it the more I like the Electra. Added in a more modern FMC-GPS (Popup only but switchable via the AP panel switches) which works fine as well.

Glasgow to Leige cruise at F210 24DME Glasgow. Looks a bit dirty but that is EA in P3DV5.
    Last edited by BendyFlyer; March 23rd, 2021 at 15:35. Reason: extra information

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Test run of the Cargo Version - in Amerer Air colours. Progress a bit of tidying up at the moment and resolving a few irritating minor issues but no show stoppers. She is flying by the book now (compared to the cockpit videos of the Amerer Air Freight runs across Europe see Youtube) good prop stop now on shutdown and ground idle is now operating correctly and Cabin Pressure gauge has been added in and working. Nothing heard from KBT yet! No more galloping along on the ground with beta and ground idle switches working correctly most of the annunciator warnings or indicators are now operative correctly as well - more I test it the more I like the Electra. Added in a more modern FMC-GPS (Popup only but switchable via the AP panel switches) which works fine as well.

Glasgow to Leige cruise at F210 24DME Glasgow. Looks a bit dirty but that is EA in P3DV5.

This is all good news Bendyflyer and I am looking forward to completion of the L188

For those interested a better shot of the new VC. The textures have been redone to match the way they really were based on existing colour photos.

Blog Entries
    I have this model in P3DV4 format with PBR materials. I recently purchased P3DV5 for a possible contract project and I'm aware of the new materials required to make PBR function properly, but I wouldn't have the slightest clue what is needed. Guess it's time to bring out the SDK and read up on it

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

If you want to see how it comes up lighting wise using FSL Spotlight - see my thread on FSL Spotlight - FSL Spotlights (sim-outhouse.com)

Testing......testing.......testing.
    Flies well, lots of switches work but there are several anomalies, oddly between repaints.
    The light 'leaking' is the only really annoying bug, and it varies in intensity. All in all an update well worth having.
    Thanks Mike.

Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

And just too emphasize the bleeding.
    FTR it only happens on the one side of the airframe..........

And just too emphasize the bleeding.
    FTR it only happens on the one side of the airframe..........

Hmmm - we are working on the beacon issue not sure why it does this on some models and not on others - happens with some payware models as well and they have not come up with a fix ( I have two hangared for this reason cannot get rid of the green cockpit tinge).

The fix here is to switch off the beacon. The strobes and recognitions lights are functional. So put them on but no beacon. You should see the beacons outside as per normal then and no green hues. It seems LMs new light or shaders interprets a red as a green or something and the array spreads it all over the place - looking for alternate effects to see if that will cure the problem as the switching is correct but the bleed issue comes from the effect it calls up!. I might add this light problem has driven the team nuts, especially getting the main lights (taxy and landing) to show where they start not just illuminate. So far it has defied the guru with the model files as well!

Happens with a number of Payware mods as you mention Mike, first one that I came across was the (ancient) RAZBAM A7 series.
    Admittedly just a port but interesting, while the native AH Cessna C-140 seems to have a few problems with light leakage from the beacon.
    As you say, turning the beacon off works fine on the Electra and IMHO she flies better than the original.
    The effect with different repaints in the L188 is odd, as are the glazing striations as indicated above.
    Not going to make me ground her........

Happens with a number of Payware mods as you mention Mike, first one that I came across was the (ancient) RAZBAM A7 series.
    Admittedly just a port but interesting, while the native AH Cessna C-140 seems to have a few problems with light leakage from the beacon.
    As you say, turning the beacon off works fine on the Electra and IMHO she flies better than the original.
    The effect with different repaints in the L188 is odd, as are the glazing striations as indicated above.
    Not going to make me ground her........
    Yep I get it with two AH models the HS748 and the BAC 111 - attempts to get a fix to no avail alas but a clever contact elsewhere has done some clever work with the Rick Piper HS748 and it might just work in P3D yet! I only wanted the RAAF versions of those two old gas guzzlers anyway!

Thanks for the feedback - we think so. It is about as good as we can get it given the limitations of its original model design age and this is now the third port-over, its gone from MS2004 to FSX and now to P3DV5. I also seems to work fine in P3DV4.5 too I believe so that is a bonus. Not sure if and when we will hear from the KBT people alas!

Wombat resolved the glazing issue - it is caused by a missing texture file called GREFRECT, it was removed because in P3D the night internal windscreen reflections become over done. Have not come up with an alternative yet either. The green bleed - this is a right pain. Some of AH's or JF's models have the same issue. Generally it is related to the beacons or navlights effects (which ones) and how they are allocated by the model token points. Switching off the lights gets rid of the green bleed but it then leaves you without the lights. This in turn also appears related to the way the shaders and effects operate in P3D due to EA and Dynamic Lighting being different with these effects. Curiosly what should be red now becomes a green colour! Not a solution I know but still a WIP alas.

If you go to the original KBT textures in the shared or main texture folders you will see a GREFRECT dds file. If you put that into the general texture folders it will get rid of the odd glazing effect - during the day but at night not so good. Personal taste I guess. But there is a solution if you have the FSSpotlights INI installed. Go to the FS Spotlights control panel and turn down the brightness level to about 10-15% and the reflections dissappear at night and the glazing is good during the day! FS Spotlights solves so many cockpit illumination and lighting problems in all models it is simply and amazing bit of kit!.

Just my 2¢, in P3D V4.5 I'm not seeing any green lights 'cept for the starboard nav light.

Blog Entries
    It's the navlight effects. The radius of the brightness is too large, hence why it's reflecting on all other parts of the aircraft. I'm not sure what lines in the FX files need to be edited to reduced the radius

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

VC Cockpit shaking

I've noticed a shaking motion in the VC view on startup (which I thought maybe was supposed to) and upon shutdown, continue to shake.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I've noticed a shaking motion in the VC view on startup (which I thought maybe was supposed to) and upon shutdown, continue to shake.
    How does the aircraft look in an outside view? Is the aircraft shaking then?
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    How does the aircraft look in an outside view? Is the aircraft shaking then?
    Nope. Just in the VC view.

This looks really nice, thanks for all the work. It's been a great while since I've cranked up v5, but this will urge me to do so. I believe it's the green nav light that casts that lovely color all over the side of the aircraft. It disappears when turning off nav lights. I see it on occasion with AI models, and on some user aircraft as well.

The shaking issue has been there since the beginning of this model by KBT. It was present in the 2004 then the FSX version as well. It is not consistent in its appearance - that is sometimes it does it and then sometimes it does not and it is only visible from inside the VC and not evident externally and only when engines are stopped. What the coding issue is that causes this remains a mystery (for the time being).

Indeed a mystery this shaking. Gave the Electra a really good run yesterday, stop start all over the place and a longish flight of 3 hours to full stop. Only a bit of shaking after first start then shutdown and it did not reappear, stable as normal- go figure! Might be a little bit of old code lurking there somewheres!

Scorch's Air Tanker Mods work fine with the updated Electra as well! Good Stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Scorch's Air Tanker Mods work fine with the updated Electra as well! Good Stuff!

Awesome!

In terms of the VC jittering, is it by chance a control gauge tied to engine vibration perhaps? I happened to run into this being an issue with the ICARO AW139 I'm working on currently. The built in jittering from engine vibration gauge conflicts with TrackIR, so I had to try and track down a way to disable it to stop the nausea inducing jitter it caused with TrackIR enabled. Turns out it was this control gauge in one of the modules in the panel.cfg causing it. I had to go into each xml file to track down which gauge was controlling that effect. But the VC only movements like you mention is what led me to the xml effect controller gauges. Maybe this is the same for the Electra somewhere in there.

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

Members who have read this thread: 7