RAF Brüggen: Converting to FSX - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RAF Brüggen: Converting to FSX

Diesel Engine Sound

The Landrover Defender for the Safari1 in AVSIM has a diesel engine sound. I also downloaded the Volvo truck with the UN repaint that I am going to work on to make it military instead of UN if I can. More here later. "Here's another fine mess you've gotten us into, Stanley (Laurel and Hardy). LOL!!!

How is the UN-Truck?
    Best regards, Manfred.

Thanks, I'll look for that engine sound file.

Thanks, I'll look for that engine sound file.

UN Truck

The UN Volvo looks nice but it will need a repaint to military. I am working on the "Defender" to make it look kind of like the photos I was able to find of RAF Defenders. It won't be exact because I am NOT a GMAX artist, just working on it in MDCx and Sketchup but it may be ok. It has racks on top and the crash grill that I removed BUT when I did I lost all of the grill so I have to recreate it in Sketchup and then convert and add it in MDCx, I have done this with aircraft but it is a tedious process. Anyone here good with GMAX want to tackle it post and I will let you do it. I'll repaint the UN Volvo, I'm good at that. Here is a photo of the RAF Defender I found:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009-C27-52.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	370.4 KB 
ID:	82089

Name:	008-C27-53.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	399.1 KB 
ID:	82090

After looking at the textures, IMO if it can't be done in MDCx or GMAX, it's a problem because all the textures in the folders are square bmps not anything like any aircraft with body (fuselage) shape to them. I'm not quitting yet though. I don't want to hijack this thread for the vehicles so I am opening a new thread for RAF Bruggen Vehicles under that title.

UN Truck

Quote Originally Posted by Manschy View Post
    How is the UN-Truck?
    I just opened up the texture for the UN truck and all the files are $$A files and can't be opened up with Photoshop or Paintshop Pro so I don't know how to repaint it. I looked up what an $$A file was on the web and it can only be opened with the software that created it according to them. I am going to go over to FSDevelopers and see if they have any input over there.

BTW, the original sound files were also $$A but fortunately I found a folder in a different download of a vehicle and was able to use that for those diesel sounds. I am going to look for another download of the UN truck and see if it has real textures not these $$A files. Well, no luck there. Both sites with the UN truck have those stupid $$A texture files. If the creator emails me back I am going to ask him for the texture files in bmp or dds if he has them so that they can be modified.

There went something wrong with your download I assume...

I downloaded it from this site and all textures seem to be okay:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downlo...olvo-un-truck/
    Best regards, Manfred.

I Dunno

There went something wrong with your download I assume...

I downloaded it from this site and all textures seem to be okay:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downlo...olvo-un-truck/
    Twice I downloaded it. Twice I unpacked it: once with 7Zip and once with Windows 7 Unzip and both times I get those stupid $$A texture files. why don't you go ahead and repaint it because I don't understand the problem. The Defender unpacked just fine with extended bmp textures. I have never had this happen before. I was talking with edakridge and he suggested that I try and open the $$A with DXTBMP and it works so I am going to just SAVEAS extended bmps in that and then I can go ahead and repaint. Anyone know where I can get text on British Military Vehicle Postwar markings beside WAR COLORS which is more money than I can afford. There are all kinds of free U.S. Army information.
    Last edited by tgycgijoes; March 19th, 2021 at 12:44.

Well, Here It Is

Once I figured out that DXTBMP could open up the silly $$A files...I actually didn't need to open up them anyway because all the repainting was done in MDCx by changing the colors in the Texture Editor to an actual color match for British Army Green. Here is the result. When Dirk answers my email I will share the model. Next I am going to tackle the Landrover. His website is no longer there so I hope that he still is on his email. Unlike the Defender I found no attached effects for lights which I will have to add after I hear back. Otherwise we'll just drive around in the daytime and hope it "passes annual inspection" LOL!

Name:	96h4lr295ybxz3f6g.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	82094

Name:	35ol4us5tyfsc0k6g.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	82095

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Once I figured out that DXTBMP could open up the silly $$A files...I actually didn't need to open up them anyway because all the repainting was done in MDCx by changing the colors in the Texture Editor to an actual color match for British Army Green. Here is the result. When Dirk answers my email I will share the model. Next I am going to tackle the Landrover. His website is no longer there so I hope that he still is on his email. Unlike the Defender I found no attached effects for lights which I will have to add after I hear back. Otherwise we'll just drive around in the daytime and hope it "passes annual inspection" LOL!

Name:	96h4lr295ybxz3f6g.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	82094

Name:	35ol4us5tyfsc0k6g.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	82095
    Nice Volvo!

Manfred, I love the scenery.

Will the train be animated ?
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Hopefully we will have updates on this great project soon.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Thank you, MZee.
    Due to the amount of effort the FSX version will come soon but with some restrictions (seasons, some less animations). And the train will not be animated unfortunately...
    Best regards, Manfred.

Hi everybody,

sorry to say, but due to my limited spare time and the season, all my projects are stopped for unforeseeable time. Will report back to you when proceeding...
    Best regards, Manfred.

We understand. Life can get in your way sometimes. Please keep us informed of any developments.

Hi everybody,

I have to apologize to let you wait for over 2 years again.
    It is still a work in progress because I still have not enough time and the appropriate skills to create the needed seasonal ground textures for the scenery so far.

So today, I did decide to release a restricted version of RAF Brüggen to retrieve this circumstance.
    It is a fully working scenery with all working animations and vegetation seasons except for winter and hard winter ground polygon appearance.

I hope you will enjoy it and would be delighted to hear your feedback at this site, no matter if you are satisfied or reporting issues.

You can download the scenery here:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...fsx_restricted
    Best regards, Manfred.

Thank you Manschy!

Can't open the file, Manschy. Says file invalid.
    Greenhouse357

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhouse357 View Post
    Thank you Manschy!

Can't open the file, Manschy. Says file invalid.
    Same here! Download went fine but go to unzip and I get the same "Does not appear to be a valid file" error.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Just downloading to have a look at - strange, because before uploading, I made a test and it worked fine...Let me see...
    Best regards, Manfred.

Unzipping works without problems here.

Just to ask, what Zip-Tool do you use? The package was zipped by 7Zip and renamed to a ZIP file which is unpacking well normally.
    So just a thought, rename the downloaded zip back into .7z and try to unpack it again.
    Best regards, Manfred.

Currently 18 hits for this package. It would be good to know how it is working for the other users...
    Best regards, Manfred.

Ok, installed 7zip again (new computer) and it didn't work. Installed winrar again and it did unpack.
    Greenhouse357

I just installed the package (using 7zip, no problems) and it looks great.
    Thanks,
    Jan

. . . . .So just a thought, rename the downloaded zip back into .7z and try to unpack it again.
    I use the latest Winzip. . .and yes, renaming does allow it to unzip normally.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Glad to hear this. Hope you like it.
    Best regards, Manfred.

Members who have read this thread: 6