Greetings From a nOOb!

Thread: Greetings From a nOOb!

Greetings From a nOOb!

Youtube and my brother sucked me into DCS. The immersion looks fantastic.

My current computer is a 7 year old, upgraded to the stops potato, but I have another machine coming soon that should run DCS nicely.

I have the Thrustmaster 16000M HOTAS.

Looking forward to much fun when I get my new machine.

Welcome

Patrick

Welcome to DCS and Simouthouse. I have been off both the website and DCS for a while, but just getting back in to DCS again over the past few weeks. It is so immersive. I still enjoy even just doing the training missions, they are so in depth. Just flew the AV-8B for the first time afew weeks back, and man is that startup tutorial a mission!! . Just flew the Huey for the first time today, that's some great fun. APart from that lately I have just been mucking around in the F-16 and the Tomcat. Used to fly the wings off the A-10 and the Hornet, doing campaigns, missions, training etc. The great thing about DCS World is that it is so in depth, you can pick one module you are passsionate about and literally spend years learning all the systems, doing all the training, all the missions and the campaigns. You actually get the most benefit out of DCS just sticking to one aircraft for a while IMHO. There is just so much to learn and do.

Anyway, hope you continue enjoying it.

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Trying my best to dabble into this with my current potato with 8G RAM, and an I5 processor.........it's TOUGH.

Can't wait until I get my new machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeman View Post
    Trying my best to dabble into this with my current potato with 8G RAM, and an I5 processor.........it's TOUGH.

Can't wait until I get my new machine.
    You have probably tried, but you can turn a lot of settings right down in DCS and it still looks great, mainly because the primary focus in DCS is head down in the cockpit. Just ensure your cockpit textures are at maximum, and you can pretty much teurn everything else down or off. I use DCS almost exclusively in VR on the Oculus Rift S these days, so I need to dumb down the settings a bit to get good performance. I use the VR preset and then make sure the cockpit textures are then manually turned right up. I turn things like grass, smoke, trees level of detail right down or off. The settings are always changing, but you can find plenty of info on good settings for max performance online. Youtube and the DCS forums are probably a good place to start. If you just google DCS settings or something similar I'm sure you will find plenty of info. There are some shader, shadowing updates they had released, maybe a year ago, which tanked performance for a while, so it's good to check out what all the settings do and what effect they have on performance because there are a few in there which will kill it.

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Members who have read this thread: 0