Setting up for Great grandson

Thread: Setting up for Great grandson

Setting up for Great grandson

I have a 15 year old who wants be a pilot and go the the Air force academy. I am setting up my copy for him on a laptop with windows 10. Any suggestions as to what to install on top of the original. I have Silver Wings and Golden wings saved on a flash drive also if I can remember how to set them up!

I might add I am a regular over at CFS 2, so have some familiarity with these sims.

Quote Originally Posted by highpockets View Post
    I have a 15 year old who wants be a pilot and go the the Air force academy. I am setting up my copy for him on a laptop with windows 10. Any suggestions as to what to install on top of the original. I have Silver Wings and Golden wings saved on a flash drive also if I can remember how to set them up!
    It's been a while since I played FS9, but I seem to remember that Silver Wings is a lot easier to set up than Golden Wings. And somehow I think it will be more appealing to a 15 yo than Golden Wings. I would also recommend the HDE clouds that can be found here

Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Real Air 172 its an oldie but goodie

https://www.fs2000.org/2003/04/01/fs...cessna-172-sp/

Ttfn

Pete

My own preference is a combination of GW3 and Silver Wings with a lot of extras.
    Silver Wings is really a click and install enhancement with the odd minor bug, GW3 is a make over and if one follows the well laid out instructions it works well.
    Just about any FS9 aircraft installs and works, certain weather and environment additions make nice eye candy, so it's pretty much FS9 on steroids.
    But do follow the instructions and go with a bog standard clean FS9 base.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Might be unpopular with this, but here goes: it really depends on what you are trying to achieve for him;
    If he's successful in school / college/ University and is accepted for Air Force, they will train him "from Zero to Hero" ; any amount of time he has spent on msfs won't count for anything as " its not real" . The only thing it could be useful for is gaining an appreciation for ADF/ILS/ DME arc navigation procedures, and for that the basic C172 in sim is good enough.

Tying it to any possible type he might encounter during training depends on the fidelity of the particular model and an awful lot of real world operations and considerations are not written into msfs, or fudged, because MS didn't program it properly ; weights and performance, management of bleed air and cabin environment for example, the correct method for starting (I know some folks practice cold and dark but again " steps are shortened and sequences changed")

Ttfn

Pete

Thanks for all the inputs. He is a long way from being accepted to the academy. He has messed with my fs9 a few years ago and has showed interest in the new ms fight sim. I will see him in about days and see how much interest he shows. Thanks again to all.

Hopefully he will appreciate want you do for him. You need to be patient for virtual flying. Most youngsters seem to the lack the patience you get when you become a bit more mature like we are

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 0