Nose Wheel animation vs Rudder

Thread: Nose Wheel animation vs Rudder

Nose Wheel animation vs Rudder

I have an airplane that has a stuck nose wheel. Is the animation for the rudder connected to the animation for the nose wheel or are they separate entities? Also, can a nose wheel correction be made in MCX or must it be done using the original source code?
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I have an airplane that has a stuck nose wheel. Is the animation for the rudder connected to the animation for the nose wheel or are they separate entities? Also, can a nose wheel correction be made in MCX or must it be done using the original source code?
    Are you saying that when taxing, applying rudder to taxi, the rudder is moving (external view), but the nose wheel is not? What airplane, what flightsim program?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    Are you saying that when taxing, applying rudder to taxi, the rudder is moving (external view), but the nose wheel is not? What airplane, what flightsim program?
    That's correct Mike and the airplane is a Cessna Citation XLS in FSX

Current System Specs:

Lightbulb

That's correct Mike and the airplane is a Cessna Citation XLS in FSX
    Hi,

Look at the aircraft.cfg, contact point - steer angle (8th param). I suppose the animation for that is done in the model.

" //0 Class
    //1 Longitudinal Position (feet)
    //2 Lateral Position (feet)
    //3 Vertical Position (feet)
    //4 Impact Damage Threshold (Feet Per Minute)
    //5 Brake Map (0=None, 1=Left, 2=Right)
    //6 Wheel Radius (feet)
    //7 Steer Angle (degrees)
    //8 Static Compression (feet) (0 if rigid)
    //9 Max/Static Compression Ratio
    //10 Damping Ratio (0=Undamped, 1=Critically Damped)
    //11 Extension Time (seconds)
    //12 Retraction Time (seconds)
    //13 Sound Type
    "
    JMC

Sounds like the "Famous" skidding nose wheel while turning trick!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

SOH-CM-2023
    I've had that issue in FSX with the model. I did an FSX conversion with MCX for myself. It's coded properly for FS9 (c_wheel) in MCX with Tom Gibson's XML file, set it to c_wheel_fs9 and it will animate properly.
    You can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Gladden View Post
    I've had that issue in FSX with the model. I did an FSX conversion with MCX for myself. It's coded properly for FS9 (c_wheel) in MCX with Tom Gibson's XML file, set it to c_wheel_fs9 and it will animate properly.
    Thanks Brian,

No joy here. Gotta leave the PC for awhile, I'll have another go later.

Current System Specs:

The nose wheel animation would probably be an animation that is part of "c_gear" .....usually named it's "c_wheel".

If you open the model in MCX and look at the Animation Editor, I would try looking for "c_wheel".
    If it is a custom animation, you can play the animations using the slider and check/uncheck each one on and off until you find out which one(s) apply. You can then go into the Heirarchy Editor to see all the pieces that are part of the assigned animation.

Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Quote Originally Posted by awstub View Post
    The nose wheel animation would probably be an animation that is part of "c_gear" .....usually named it's "c_wheel".

If you open the model in MCX and look at the Animation Editor, I would try looking for "c_wheel".
    If it is a custom animation, you can play the animations using the slider and check/uncheck each one on and off until you find out which one(s) apply. You can then go into the Heirarchy Editor to see all the pieces that are part of the assigned animation.
    Success, sort of!
    I was able to get the nose wheel to animate, however it turns too far left and right (90deg). so more work to be done to correct that if possible.

Current System Specs:

Ed, look at post #4 above and then check the value of column 8 (//7 because it starts at //0) in the contact points section of the aircraft.cfg file. It should be either 180 or a value like 35 to 45. 180 would mean the nose wheel was a free-castoring type while a value of 35-45 is the angle of steer either side of centre for a steerable nose-wheel.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Tako_Kichi View Post
    Ed, look at post #4 above and then check the value of column 8 (//7 because it starts at //0) in the contact points section of the aircraft.cfg file. It should be either 180 or a value like 35 to 45. 180 would mean the nose wheel was a free-castoring type while a value of 35-45 is the angle of steer either side of centre for a steerable nose-wheel.
    Yea, I checked that Larry. It's set to 45.00. I think it has to do with the information in the hierarchy settings or the code I changed in MCX.

Current System Specs:

7:40 AM XtoMDL Warning warning : Part information for rudder_key indicates that it is deprecated!

There are two "Model_Parts" sections to the nose wheel. The full assembly, and the assy that includes the piston, scissors, wheel and tire. It is that section that I applied the change to. The full assy is coded to "Rudder_Key" which kicks out the error seen above whenever I save the mdl file. There are only two options for that. . . ."Rudder_Key" which MCX says is incorrect or "Rudder_Percent_Key" which doesn't work. I changed that to c_gear, which works but allows the nose wheel to deflect 90 degrees left or right. So I'm sticking with this, at least the nose wheel will turn.
    Last edited by falcon409; March 6th, 2021 at 06:09. Reason: incorrect information_"change to c_gear"

Current System Specs:

SOH-CM-2023
    Make sure that the class number is correct in contact points, if it thinks its a skid it makes it solid....found that the other day....memory fade again!
    Keith

All good now. The steer angle was set too high. I've looked at so many other settings from other aircraft I failed to check the Citation (I thought I had). It did require a lower setting than any other airplane I've ever adjusted (20.00), but it works.

Current System Specs:

SOH-CM-2023
    All good now. The steer angle was set too high. I've looked at so many other settings from other aircraft I failed to check the Citation (I thought I had). It did require a lower setting than any other airplane I've ever adjusted (20.00), but it works.
    20 is about right. I used to work for a charter operation that had two Excel's. Not much side to side on the real bird. Had to be careful when moving one with the tug
    You can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Gladden View Post
    20 is about right. I used to work for a charter operation that had two Excel's. Not much side to side on the real bird. Had to be careful when moving one with the tug
    Thanks Brian, with this newfound skill I may go back and visit a few others that had the same/similar problem. . .see how much damage I can do to those, lol

Current System Specs:

Members who have read this thread: 0