SSW F-104G Maps and vACMI Issues - help needed

Thread: SSW F-104G Maps and vACMI Issues - help needed

SSW F-104G Maps and vACMI Issues - help needed

There I was, really enjoying a revisit to the Zipper and actually finding flying, handling, even landing it enjoyable. Realised I had no working radar so downloaded the vACMI files from the SSW web site. Not very clear what this does or what you do with it but behold, I have a nice radar image now on the screen. Then went and downloaded the Maps and Terrain and other ACMI ship, objects files.

No visible map/terrain though on the screen AND the next thing I know I get targeted and blown up - twice! - on the ground and in the air by SAM-2 missles coming up everywhere. Over Suffolk, England???!!

Can anyone tell me what on earth is going on, how I get rid of all the Falcon 4.0 stuff (dont' want weapons, targets etc) how I get the terrain map to work. And it's also now making a very different sound . .

Thanks!

Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Expat - if you haven't tried it yet you might take a look in the SimSkunkWorks/vACMI/battle_order folder within your P3D folder. There are a number of files there with the .bo extension that define where the SAM and AAA sites are. You could presumably edit the problematic ones out or do as I did and just delete the files.

That seemed to work well enough when flying the Tornado around Aviano air base.

As for the maps I seem to recall that the 104G didn't have a radar ground mapping mode or at least it wasn't supported in the SSW 104G. I believe the 104S does support the maps or at least a terrain mapping mode. I have gotten the maps to work in the Harrier but I haven't tried it yet in the 104's or the Tornado.

Chris

Hey Chris,
    Really appreciate the quick and clear guidance. I have the latest Harrier in the hangar and will try the maps with it. Also have the S Zipper somwhere and will do a comparison test with the G.
    Cheers!
    expat
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

SAM's sorted - thanks!

Where do people put their maps on their system? SSW says x drive > Programs > Lockheed Martin > P3Dv4 folder. I don't have the last folder down that path, just the P3D SDK's are there. I put the maps in path via Program Data > etc > etc that does lead to a P3DV4 folder. Ist that where others locate it? I don't get the ground return images one sees in the F104 SSW docs - idiot's guide to the radar. Guess the title isn't accurate, LOL!!
    Last edited by expat; March 6th, 2021 at 08:47.

Well, I am occasionally an idiot and I definitely do not have good feel for how the radar works. But... In my install all the radar height files and radar maps are located in the SimSkunkWorks/WebSimConnect folder. I think the maps are in SimSkunkWorks/WebSimConnect/www/RPMD and the height files are in SimSkunkWorks/WebSimConnect/www/ESRRD.

I'd look at your WebSimConnect folder and go from there! I don't really know how to read the ground return on the radar but I was getting a return while flying the 104S around the UK today.

Chris

Grateful Chris for your help. Will try it out and report back.
    Expat Out

Members who have read this thread: 1