A Naive Question.

Thread: A Naive Question.

A Naive Question.

This might be a case of personal preferences but I'd be interested to know which vendor of MSFS is better, MS or Steam?
    I dislike dealing with MS directly but Steam has a few negative points IMHO.
    Answers will be highly appreciated.
    TIA
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I bought the Premium Deluxe version direct from MS and have had no problems. The Steam version installs the Steam client (if you don't have it already) which then links to to the MS version anyway. Quite a few people have had problems downloading updates with the Steam client not linking properly to the MS servers at times.

Thanks Tiger, you've moved me in the direction I was thinking of and I can purchase the same as you from MS Australia.

Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I bought it directly from MS and have zero issues 7+ months in.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    This might be a case of personal preferences but I'd be interested to know which vendor of MSFS is better, MS or Steam?
    I dislike dealing with MS directly but Steam has a few negative points IMHO.
    Answers will be highly appreciated.
    TIA
    Completely stable and reliable from MS. Always use Add-ons Linker, easy to remove and replace stuff.

G

Purchased mine via the MS Store since I don't have a Steam account. Installed in the default location, and I'm glad I did that too. Turns out that some updates don't reload your entire hangar if you install to a custom location. It's not that big a deal to go back to the Content Manager to get them, but it's nice to save that step.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Purchased mine via the MS Store since I don't have a Steam account. Installed in the default location, and I'm glad I did that too. Turns out that some updates don't reload your entire hangar if you install to a custom location. It's not that big a deal to go back to the Content Manager to get them, but it's nice to save that step.
    Tom, I've seen you state that before but its not necessarily true for everyone.
    I bought my copy through the MS store too and installed it to a custom location and have never had to redownload anything after an update.
    I have no idea why you have that happen and I don't, it may be a system specific thing.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

You are correct that it doesn't happen to everyone, but it is a distinct possibility. I supposed I should have stated that more clearly. I do know that every time there's a sim update (not a world update), the number of "I only have two planes in my hangar" threads that get locked is hilarious, so it does happen often enough to warrant a mention.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Thank's to all for your very helpful advice, most appreciated.
    I'll go with the MS store, while I have almost all my Race Sims via Steam I think is wise to stick with the majority.

Members who have read this thread: 0