Assigning "Screenshots" to a controller?

Thread: Assigning "Screenshots" to a controller?

Assigning "Screenshots" to a controller?

I have tried to find information on assigning "Screenshots" to a controller. I really dislike having to use a keyboard, period, when flight simming. When at all possible, I assign functions to my controllers, and if necessary, to my mouse. Has anyone achieved this? Yes, I know how the keyboard is used to do screenshots, and I want to avoid it if possible. I am running MSFS through Steam, and according to what I have read, "F12" supposedly does screenshots, but it doesn't work for me.

Hopefully you folks have a answer? Thanks! NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I have tried to find information on assigning "Screenshots" to a controller. I really dislike having to use a keyboard, period, when flight simming. When at all possible, I assign functions to my controllers, and if necessary, to my mouse. Has anyone achieved this? Yes, I know how the keyboard is used to do screenshots, and I want to avoid it if possible. I am running MSFS through Steam, and according to what I have read, "F12" supposedly does screenshots, but it doesn't work for me.

Hopefully you folks have a answer? Thanks! NC
    Chief, define " but it doesn't work for me "...

Do you hit F12, open your fav paintprog, click "paste as new picture" (or something similar) and nothing will turn up ?.... Do you get this little thumbnail of your new screenie turning up for a second in the right-bottom corner of your screen after you clicked F12 ?..

I have been using PSP for umpteen years and it never failed to show the new screenie i just made by clicking F12 (or 'Print Screen'). I guess it must be no problem to assign the F12 key (or 'Print Screen') to your controller.

As you use MSFS in Steam and you want to see all your stored F12 screenshots, open Steam menu/View/Screenshots/Show on HD/ and make a shortcut of that folder for your desktop. That way you always have quick access to your MSFS screenies.

F12 is not a screenshot command in MSFS, and going by the available commands in the menus, I don't believe there is one. But depending on your controller's software, you may be able to have Windows interpret a certain control input as the keyboard command needed to get one. Just have one button that reports to Windows as Alt+F1 (if you're using GeForce Experience), and then make sure the same button is unmapped in the controller menu in the sim.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    ...... then make sure the same button is unmapped in the controller menu in the sim.
    THAT is what I need to learn how to do; assign the series of keys needed for a screenshot - translated to one button press on my controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    F12 is not a screenshot command in MSFS,
    It certainly is if you buy MSFS via Steam... (it's the default screenshot command for any game you buy via Steam.. very easy, very comfortable)

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    It certainly is if you buy MSFS via Steam... (it's the default screenshot command for any game you buy via Steam.. very easy, very comfortable)
    Yep, 'cept it isn't working for me! NC

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    I just use the old

Prt Scrn
    Sys Rq

on keyboard

I use a free utility called Greenshot for snapping screenshots. It allows me to predefine the save location, file name structure, and type (straight to JPG so no reformatting from BMP like a lot of other options). It also allows you to assign a hotkey of your choice to various types of shots. I have it mapped as Shift + Print Screen.

For my T.16000 joystick, I use Thrustmaster's TARGET software which allows you to create profiles which map each joystick button to a key press. Instead of assigned FS controls to buttons, I assign the buttons to the default key. I simply set one of my buttons to the Shift + Print Screen and every time it gets pressed I get a screenshot saved away. It's important for me to be able to snap them on the fly because we're usually doing maneuvers or something like that.

The profiles are a bit complicated to set up but I really like the flexibility they offer so I've used them for years.

Not sure what controller you're using but perhaps there is a generic macro script for it which could translate a button press to a key press?

I am hoping that FSUIPC7 is capable of doing this, but when I press the Print Screen button, FSUIP7 does not detect it. Any help here? Pete

Members who have read this thread: 0