Dumb question.. installing 3rd party aircraft

Thread: Dumb question.. installing 3rd party aircraft

Dumb question.. installing 3rd party aircraft

Hi guys, I want to install the gruman goose thats in the library here. However the instructions dont say how and where to do it. I am still mainly a P3D sim pilot, so not as experienced with MSFS2020 installing new stuff.

Can anyone tell me the default to find the sim? Its an app and not an exe like normal.

what is the path to install the downloaded file.

Thanks
    Eric

Just drop the file into the Community folder on your system. Easy to install...if you know where to find the Community folder.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Drop the folder, not the file

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post
    Hi guys, I want to install the gruman goose thats in the library here. However the instructions dont say how and where to do it. I am still mainly a P3D sim pilot, so not as experienced with MSFS2020 installing new stuff.

Can anyone tell me the default to find the sim? Its an app and not an exe like normal.

what is the path to install the downloaded file.

Thanks
    Eric
    Hi Eric,

First of all, which version do you have? By that I mean, have you bought it through steam or the Microsft store? Did you buy the DVD set? Secondly have you installed the sim in the default location? Both question need to be answered before we can give you a good answer. But like the other members said, it should indeed be installed in the community folder. But the location of that folder differs with the version you have and whether you installed the sim in the default location.

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by paiken View Post
    Just drop the file into the Community folder on your system. Easy to install...if you know where to find the Community folder.
    Where is the community folder? I cant even find the application, they have it so well buried.

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Hi Eric,

First of all, which version do you have? By that I mean, have you bought it through steam or the Microsft store? Did you buy the DVD set? Secondly have you installed the sim in the default location? Both question need to be answered before we can give you a good answer. But like the other members said, it should indeed be installed in the community folder. But the location of that folder differs with the version you have and whether you installed the sim in the default location.

Cheers,

Priller
    I bought the deluxe (highest version) on the MSFT Store. Not steam.

The Microsoft Store will often put your files in completely nonsensical places. This is a Microsoft problem, not an Asobo problem. The surefire way of finding it is:

From the main menu

• Click the "Options" tab at the top of the screen, then select "General"
    • On the left hand side, select "Developers" and enable developer mode, then click "Apply & Save" at the bottom of your screen
    • You should now see a menu at the very top of your screen, similar to the old menu's in FSX/P3D and the like
    • Select "Tools", then click "Virtual File System". A window should appear. Select "Watched Bases" from the new window and it will list your install folder and community folder and packages folder
    • Take a screenshot or otherwise note where your Community folder is
    • Close the Virtual File System window, turn Developer mode off, click "Apply & Save"

Here's a nice writeup on how to find the Community folder:

https://flightsim.to/help/getting-st...der-of-my-game

Once you get to the point where you can see the "packages" folder, right-click that and choose Pin to Quick Access. That will give you access to it any time you want - no drilling required.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Here's a nice writeup on how to find the Community folder:

https://flightsim.to/help/getting-st...der-of-my-game
    This was very helpful. thanks to all.

My path (now written in a trusty text file!)

C:\Users\ejoin\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Fl ightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Co mmunity

How I get to mine:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mine.png  
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Members who have read this thread: 0