A 1930's French prototype fighter a Bernard 74 for Fs9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A 1930's French prototype fighter a Bernard 74 for Fs9

Hi Folks,
    Chris has been at it again, something to different to fly, this time a 1930's French prototype fighter a Bernard 74 monoplane. Good looking aircraft, fun to fly, uploaded and ready.

Cheers

Shessi

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=205&id=27733
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B74 Fs9 1.jpg  

It is an aircraft I had never heard of. It looks like a bit like Dewoitine 510 with a radial engine.

Cheers,
    Huub

wow, very beautiful
    English is not my native language, I ask your indulgence.
    Correct me, if you will.

Bernard 74 Fs9

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Military - Props

Description: A new build By Chris Lampard of a French 1930's prototype fighter a Bernard 74 for Fs9.

Shessi

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Bernard 74 Fs9
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Icon14 Bernard 74

Chris Lampard & Shessi, congratulations, this is a fantastic model - the pilot even looks like a real Frenchman!

Rocker arm covers on the cowling, and wheel pants... I like it!

SOH-CM-2024
    Another wonderful gift! Thank you!

-Mike

Glad you like it guys, yes I like this as well, Chris does build very good models doesn't he!

Doing this ac I learnt a lot about the French aviation industry, post WWI and up to WWII, and it was huge. So many French manufacturers building quite advanced ac, if it wasn't for WWII they would have been at the forefront of aviation from the early years, but obviously soon caught up and built/build superb ac.

S,
    Je t’en prie.

Cheers

Shessi

Excellent!

Thank you!

Doing this ac I learnt a lot about the French aviation industry, post WWI and up to WWII, and it was huge. So many French manufacturers building quite advanced ac, if it wasn't for WWII they would have been at the forefront of aviation from the early years, but obviously soon caught up and built/build superb ac.
    Shessi,

I think in the early 30ties the French were ahead of most countries. With the Dewoitine D.500 the French already had a relative heavy armed all metal monoplane. While the Germans still had the Heinkel He-51 as main fighter and the British were still flying Gauntlets and even the Gladiator still had to be designed....
    The French lost their leading position most likely because the Maginot line consumed all resources. And also the idea that the Maginot line was the ultimate defence line, made it less urgent to keep developing in peoples mind.

Once they started to invest in the conventional army again the production capacity was too low and the French had to turn to other suppliers for aircraft like the US for the Bostons and Curtiss H-75 fighters. (And to the Dutch for the infamous Koolhoven F.58)

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Shessi,

I think in the early 30ties the French were ahead of most countries. With the Dewoitine D.500 the French already had a relative heavy armed all metal monoplane. While the Germans still had the Heinkel He-51 as main fighter and the British were still flying Gauntlets and even the Gladiator still had to be designed....
    The French lost their leading position most likely because the Maginot line consumed all resources. And also the idea that the Maginot line was the ultimate defence line, made it less urgent to keep developing in peoples mind.

Once they started to invest in the conventional army again the production capacity was too low and the French had to turn to other suppliers for aircraft like the US for the Bostons and Curtiss H-75 fighters. (And to the Dutch for the infamous Koolhoven F.58)

Cheers,
    Huub
    Very interesting ... There was also a confused political conjuncture and with two opposing sides (in France) ... Overall, I think that the French generals of the thirties were missing out on a war. Not all, but a lot ... And then ... This Treaty of Versailles of 1919, too rigid and too ignorant of the German people who had suffered as much, no more, no less, than the French people, during WWI ...

The stock market crisis of 1929 had accelerated things, and we know the rest ...

War is an absolute horror.

cheers,

Frederic

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOBO View Post
    Very interesting ... There was also a confused political conjuncture and with two opposing sides (in France) ... Overall, I think that the French generals of the thirties were missing out on a war. Not all, but a lot ... And then ... This Treaty of Versailles of 1919, too rigid and too ignorant of the German people who had suffered as much, no more, no less, than the French people, during WWI ...

The stock market crisis of 1929 had accelerated things, and we know the rest ...

War is an absolute horror.

cheers,

Frederic
    Hi,
    how can you say such things? No destruction in Germany, no exactions on the civilian population, no occupied territories, when you say such things, you have to know a little about history and not convey misconceptions! The German troops behaved very badly in France and Belgium during WWI, not as much as during the WWII but enough for it to be abominable!

JMC

Gentlemen. I think this not the place nor the time to discuss the aftermath of the Great War. Personally I think we all know more than average about history here. But history is based on facts and does not tell us how to feel about those facts.

Thanks,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Gentlemen. I think this not the place nor the time to discuss the aftermath of the Great War. Personally I think we all know more than average about history here. But history is based on facts and does not tell us how to feel about those facts.

Thanks,
    Huub
    Huub, basically I agree ... Especially since our friend from Marseille thought I was talking about the German armies. No. I was talking about a whole people.

And I'm not going to get into this kind of competition. Abuses have been committed by all armies, at different times, and making a people feel guilty "ad vitam aeternam" is dangerous. War is first of all orders, military staffs gives orders, not people. If only Napoleon III had not declared war on Prussia ... Yes, the facts, but we have to go back much further in time. Until the wars of religion. But this is another story. And which has many surprises in store if you really seek ...

Regards,

Frederic

Blog Entries
    Chris and Shessi, thank you for the Bernard, it's a beautiful and fun to fly little sportster.
    Set the sim for warm sunny weather, a grass airfield with the Bernard's motor ticking over,...

In my opinion, French aircraft designers have always displayed a unique mixture of
    art, science, and a passion for aviation in their aircraft designs. It's contagious.

A very pretty looking plane. I look forward to flying it tomorrow. For this kite I shall have to make sure I find a first class hedge in which to park it!

Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOBO View Post
    Especially since our friend from Marseille thought I was talking about the German armies. No. I was talking about a whole people.

Frederic
    I was also talking about people.The historical facts are proven. Several departments were occupied during the 1st world war (except Moselle and Alsace which come under the war of 1870): Pas de Calais (62), Nord (59), Somme (80), Aisne (02) etc. with 50% of the population which could not be evacuated, withdrawn to the south of the combat zone. I know that this is not the place for this type of discussion here, but objectively, as French, I cannot help reacting to untruths, moreover issued by a French. My dear compatriot could do a web search with the keywords "occupation France 1914-1918"
    As far as I know, there were no destructions in Germany during this war, and the population did not have to suffer from abuse from Allied troops such as those suffered by part of the population of the cited departments. I'm old enough to have known family members who have experienced this in "Pas de Calais". I won't discuss it any further.
    Beyond that, I am quite happy to see that I am not the only one interested in French aviation of the 1930s and this Bernard is a very good achievement.

JMC

Frederic and Jean-Marie,

As I said before this is not the time nor the place to discuss the aftermath of the Great War. As grief or pain simply can't be compared, I personally think your discussion is quite useless and definitely not suitable to do in writing and in a language which is not your native one. Wait until Covid-19 has become history, take the TGV to Marseille or Paris and discuss this over a good glass or red wine. And when the place and time is right I might join as well.

For now try to focus on the lovely Bernard which was given to you by Chris and Shessi!

Thanks,
    Huub

Back to the topic at hand, and to repeat myself from a different thread, it is quality aircraft like this that makes me happy to keep renewing my membership. Thanks Chris and Shessi!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gastonj View Post
    I was also talking about people.The historical facts are proven. Several departments were occupied during the 1st world war (except Moselle and Alsace which come under the war of 1870): Pas de Calais (62), Nord (59), Somme (80), Aisne (02) etc. with 50% of the population which could not be evacuated, withdrawn to the south of the combat zone. I know that this is not the place for this type of discussion here, but objectively, as French, I cannot help reacting to untruths, moreover issued by a French. My dear compatriot could do a web search with the keywords "occupation France 1914-1918"
    As far as I know, there were no destructions in Germany during this war, and the population did not have to suffer from abuse from Allied troops such as those suffered by part of the population of the cited departments. I'm old enough to have known family members who have experienced this in "Pas de Calais". I won't discuss it any further.
    Beyond that, I am quite happy to see that I am not the only one interested in French aviation of the 1930s and this Bernard is a very good achievement.

JMC
    Good evening, "compatriot" gastonj. Please, I have not denied the facts you are reporting. And I know them. Reread well. Because everyone can read me too.

Regards,

Frederic Bourmaut

Nice conclusion of your discussion Frederic, the next post about the aftermath of the great war will be removed.

Cheers,
    Huub

Phew!...Merci, mes amis...

Beautiful pic there Huub, Mont-Saint-Michel (or St Michaels Mount ), looks superb, oh the freedom and serenity....

This had become one of my favourite Fs9 ac to fly.

Cheers

Shessi

Shessi, thanks for your very nice model. Here with a Bernard 207 T.

Bernard

There is also the Bernard HV-120 for the Schneider Cup .

Members who have read this thread: 0