Webcam head tracking.

Thread: Webcam head tracking.

Webcam head tracking.

I stumbled on this video recently, and was wondering if anyone is using their webcam for head tracking in MSFS? I don't have a webcam, but would definitely consider one if this type of program works as an effective alternative to Track IR.

Cheers,
    Dave

I can tell you one I don't recommend, unless you live alone, the 5-star-rated Motioncap on SimMarket. I missed the giveaway and decided to spend the $18 on it. But I should have looked at all of the screenshots... To make it work, you have to frame your head/cap with a big piece of cardboard:

A lesson in looking at all of the screenshots before buying something... Sigh.

I've used one of the utilities that ties in via your iPhone camera ("Head Tracker," it's free) and it works pretty well. But I'd rather use my webcam as it's a pain to set up the phone on a tripod, etc. when playing.

So would love to hear of any positive experiences -- that don't make you wear a piece of cardboard around your face.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    I can tell you one I don't recommend, unless you live alone, the 5-star-rated Motioncap on SimMarket. I missed the giveaway and decided to spend the $18 on it. But I should have looked at all of the screenshots... To make it work, you have to frame your head/cap with a big piece of cardboard:

I've used one of the utilities that ties in via your iPhone camera ("Head Tracker," it's free) and it works pretty well. But I'd rather use my webcam as it's a pain to set up the phone on a tripod, etc. when playing.

So would love to hear of any positive experiences -- that don't make you wear a piece of cardboard around your face.
    Oh man, my Wife would laugh her head off if she saw me wearing that.
    Cheers,
    Dave

I live alone, but no.... Just NO!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Hey Dave,

I bought FaceTrackNoIR and configured it to work with my 60 fps no-name Amazon webcam and it works surprisingly well -- seems as good as my TrackIR ever was.

it's a bit of a pain to configure -- you have to reverse a couple of axes (X and Pitch), and mess with the sensitivity curves (and I'd suggest turning off Roll), but for $8 it works really well.

And you don't need a hat, IR emitters, or a huge piece of cardboard on your face.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021-02-18 (1).jpg  

I use AITrack combined with Opentrack. Works quite well. Would highly recommend it. Takes a bit of time to set up the sensitivity on all of the axes but it is much better than using the mouse or a hat switch.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Does it have a way to pause so that you can use the mouse on a knob or switch?
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post

Looks like a Dalmatian trying to give birth to a baseball cap, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Does it have a way to pause so that you can use the mouse on a knob or switch?
    Yes, you can set a hotkey to turn FaceTrackNoIR's tracking on/off, and it does get passed through when you're in the sim. You can also program a joystick button to toggle it if you have one available.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaBob View Post
    Looks like a Dalmatian trying to give birth to a baseball cap, LOL.
    That's very funny!

Members who have read this thread: 0