Spitfire!!!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spitfire!!!!

Here's a cool paint scheme I would love to see depicted, that being a 277 Air Sea Rescue Squadron Mk.II, as seen here applied to the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight's BoB-vet Spitfire Mk.II (one of the great many paint schemes it has sported over the years), representing specifically P8509, "The Old Lady". The best British paint scheme, in my opinion, is the Temperate Sea Scheme, which is perfectly illustrated here, featuring Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey over Sky. This particular paint scheme also had a large black stripe/band running down the center of the bottom of the fuselage. The large yellow ASR fuselage codes also greatly appeal to me more than anything else - something different than the "normal" paint schemes we see time and time again.

Photo by Peter Green (Warbirdapps).

Following two photos by Richard Crockett.

Well John, unfortunately, the MkII is not being modeled. There will be a paintkit so people can apply the schemes they want. We will be producing a variety of liveries for both the Mk1A and the MkVB.

And on the bright side, other than the prop on some Mk IIs, externally they were little changed, so still a good candidate for a Mk.1A repaint...

A video manual anyone?

As part of our foray into MSFS, we are going to trial a video manual. We think it may be the quickest way to get important information to customers and get them flying as quickly as possible. We would be interested in constructive comments and whether you think a video manual would be a good idea.

This first one introduces the cokpit and its features and controls and also a guide on starting the Merlin.

https://youtu.be/jBLQphHSHME 

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    As part of our foray into MSFS, we are going to trial a video manual. We think it may be the quickest way to get important information to customers and get them flying as quickly as possible. We would be interested in constructive comments and whether you think a video manual would be a good idea.

This first one introduces the cokpit and its features and controls and also a guide on starting the Merlin.

https://youtu.be/jBLQphHSHME 

Nicely done. Video length is well matched to the subject content. Information is well presented with good closeup visuals allowing one to see what is being discussed, gauge movement and associated sounds. There were a couple of situations where even closer visuals would have been helpful. I also did not notice the change expected in testing the magnetos, from RPM drop to recovery. Maybe its me but the engine start seemed a bit too smooth and quick.

For you to present concise and informed videos is a solid idea. A chance for perspective customers to see the study level quality aircraft you are bringing to the MSFS world as well to get ahead of all the video reviews that will pop-up on YouTube.

Will you have a configuration manager to handle load outs and hot starts..?

Again well done.

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated. Yes we are teaching the sim to deal with mag checks. Hopefully it will learn soon!

Not sure on a config panel yet.

Hi bazz,

Finally got a 15 minute block of time to check out the Spitfire overview video. Loved it! It'd be of interest to any aviation fan, I'd think, as I sure learned a lot about how they were operated.

I really like the video format, because the narrator explaining the functions as you're looking at them is like the difference between an instructor showing them to you and just looking at a manual.

I do wonder if it wouldn't be good to break out specific procedures, such as startup, into shorter, step-by-step videos, or at least put a marker in the video for people who want to jump to the startup process. For instance, I watched the entire video, but when I get the plane, I'll likely pull it back up on my iPad and jump straight to the startup tutorial. For the step-by-step procedures, shorter stuff that just outlines them would be handy.

I do love the depth and background of the first 3/4 of the video, though, and I absolutely would love to see that level of detail continue. It's only the procedural stuff I'd like to be able to access in "bite-size" chunks, in case I'm trying to remind myself how a process works.

Nicely done! Is that you narrating?

Glad you liked it. It's early days but I think your suggestion of smaller chunks is a good one. Yes that's me doing my best to be an instructor! Not sure how I'm going to go with the flying lesson so bring a parachute.

Incidentally, for those who'd be interested, we are changing the type of oxy mask and goggles to the Type B (Battle of Britain) for the Mk1A with the side entry oxygen pipe and those really awkward goggles and sunshade. Designed in 1938, they were better suited to a bi-plane than a Spitfire. Poor blokes must have been so uncomfortable in that lot.

side entry oxygen pipe and those really awkward goggles
    Flying only in VR nowadays I know all about side entry cables and steamed-up goggles
    Hopefully somebody on the test team is a VR fiend and will ensure it all works well in 3D-o-vision...
    Cheers
    Keith

VR is not high on the list of priorities at the moment. We need it to be stable in the sim. And frankly, there is too much else needs fixing in the sim. The amount of workarounds we are having to do to get things to work properly is getting more each day...

The gauge debate

As we edge closer to release, we are getting a lot of differing comment over the cockpit finish. In particular, a lot of people are surprised to see new-looking gauges etc.

I would just like to point out some logic here.

If an aircraft in the Battle of Britain, was say, a month or two old, then why would it have aged gauges? Why would the instrument markings be brownish stained or faded? Why would the cockpit be incredibly scratched EVERYWHERE?

Some of these aircraft were delivered fresh from the factory with the paint barely dry and were lucky to get through one day of battle before being destroyed, sadly, along with their pilot.

Anybody who still doubts whether I am correct or not should take a look at this original film of a Spitfire "Daily Inspection"from 1940. It is of a 19 Squadron Mk1. Pay special attention to the close-ups of the ground chappie adjusting thew gauges. Any signs of wear, scratches, paint-fade?

https://youtu.be/bqpOeJW8ODQ

Brownish stains and decay only appears on aircraft that have had many years of service and are not restored. Instruments, in particular, spend their lives behind glass, with a bezel sealed by a rubber O ring. It takes a long time for an instrument to decay.

We wish to portray the Mk1A as it would have appeared during the Battle of Britain.

Anyone who wants a Spitfire to look like like it is 70 years old with the relative ageing, is welcome to repaint the model the way they wish. We will be releasing authentic finishes.

I agree completely, Baz!

Take for example the recently-released Milviz Corsair - I saw one Youtube review where the person presenting the video was delighted by the cockpit looking "80 years old". Which, as you put, raises the question, why would you ever want the cockpit/plane looking 80 years old? Whether it be during WWII or now, none of the planes then or today, flying, would look that aged or neglected. The only ones you'd see looking like that would be those surviving today, since WWII, never restored and having suffered decades of exposure to the elements and/or people climbing on them for a great many years.

Absolutely right, this trend for everything to be worn/damaged is just over use of texturing techniques rather than any real situation in the majority of cases.
    Last edited by jetstreamsky; April 4th, 2021 at 19:02.

As far as I know, ground crews took the greatest pride in the machines in their care. I am pretty sure they would not allow "their" pilot to take off in anything less than the best they could turn around. Sure, in the worst days of the Battle, little time was available for cosmetics but even allowing for that, apart from general wear and tear around the airframe where people step or scratch with harnesses etc., there just wouldn't be the deterioration that is often depicted in flightsim warbirds. Later in the war, maybe but not a few months into it.

I'm reading the superb book They Gave Me A Seafire right now and he goes into a fair amount of detail in various chapters about how many fitters they had maintaining each plane. Yep, unless they were flying multiple sorties a day in the African desert, I would not expect them to be dirty or worn.

It's an Internet thing, a need to try to prove worthy knowledge, sadly not always backed by actual... worthy knowledge. See also: People complaining the simulated Spit Mk IX doesn't cut out with negative Gs.

That's for the video link! That was fun to watch. Hopefully someone will re-scan that someday at a higher resolution, but I'm glad it exists at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    As far as I know, ground crews took the greatest pride in the machines in their care. I am pretty sure they would not allow "their" pilot to take off in anything less than the best they could turn around. Sure, in the worst days of the Battle, little time was available for cosmetics but even allowing for that, apart from general wear and tear around the airframe where people step or scratch with harnesses etc., there just wouldn't be the deterioration that is often depicted in flightsim warbirds. Later in the war, maybe but not a few months into it.
    I have to agree with you there. As you may know, I like my aircraft worn, but I also know that quite often, ground crews took extreme pride in the aircraft they maintained, and in some cases even got medals for extremely good maintenance. So especially early on in the war, when they couldn't make the aircraft fast enough, I'd imagine them to be looking real good.
    At the same time, later in the war, at remote bases and advanced airfields, under bad weather conditions, some older aircraft could become extremely worn.
    I'm currently painting corsairs, and you won't believe the amount of wear and tear on some of them:

and the same will be true for Spitfires and Mustangs

But in the summer of 1940? these look very nice I think
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Yes Jan, Corsairs, especially later in the Pacific campaign suffered enormously. Mainly due to being sandblasted by coral sand where they were stationed in the islands. Wing leading edges and props were not alone in having the paint quite literally removed down to the metal if not the primer. Must have been a nightmare for crews.

Summer 1940 was long and hot so no mud to speak of, just the odd paint chip from stones and of course the obligatory scuffing on the wingroots from the pilot's boots and the crew assisting him into his harness. The rest was oil and fuel stain mostly. Some paints reacted to damp and heat so there were patches where discoloration would occur. This usually shows up as large dirty patches in the camouflage in B/W photos but they were not degraded or dirty, just the way the light caught the surface.

On Final.

We've now finalised the textures, inside and out and buttoned up the flight model. She now tracks straight and true on takeoff roll with just a touch of rudder correction. After some work, we now have a working castoring tailwheel. Some other features include TR9 radio inside the opening radio/ballast hatch, correct BoB pattern goggles and oxy mask for the animated pilot and of course that beautiful Merlin engine behind removable covers.

There's a small selection of liveries and a new model of N3200 as restored with a pilot wearing a leather-covered bone dome and late oxygen set.

Currently we are finishing the sound-pack and manuals so not far away now. In the meantime, here's a few latest pics from the sim.

Here's N3200 as she is today with modern pilot complete with bone dome.

Working oxygen panel and night blind for the gear indicator lights.

There's battery starter cart

A chute ready for the pilot and a TR9 in the radio/ballast hatch.

See you soon!

Looks wonderful and looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    I agree completely, Baz!

Take for example the recently-released Milviz Corsair - I saw one Youtube review where the person presenting the video was delighted by the cockpit looking "80 years old". Which, as you put, raises the question, why would you ever want the cockpit/plane looking 80 years old? Whether it be during WWII or now, none of the planes then or today, flying, would look that aged or neglected. The only ones you'd see looking like that would be those surviving today, since WWII, never restored and having suffered decades of exposure to the elements and/or people climbing on them for a great many years.

Check out this treasure trove of colour WWII pictures. On the right hand side half way down is a 222 Sqn Spitfire Vb being serviced. 222 were visited by a photographer in 1942 and several superb pics are extant. Very useful for wear and tear info.https://www.flickr.com/photos/827078...57605269786717

Blog Entries
    I am looking forward to this release. it looks wonderful.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

The welds on the canopy release!! Seriously, the texturing on this is phenomenal! Beautiful job.

Members who have read this thread: 0