XML file

Thread: XML file

XML file

OK so MSFS2020 seems too much of a Beta for me at the moment, so I decided to go for P3Dv5. A few questions before I move from FSXSE.

1) Is there a P3Dv6 on the horizon any time soon?

2) With the new funky way of addons which I am trying to get my head around, is there somewhere a blank XML template file I can download. There is a YT simmer who states there is one on his Discord account but for some reason I cannot access Discord.

Thanks in advance.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    OK so MSFS2020 seems too much of a Beta for me at the moment, so I decided to go for P3Dv5. A few questions before I move from FSXSE.

1) Is there a P3Dv6 on the horizon any time soon?

2) With the new funky way of addons which I am trying to get my head around, is there somewhere a blank XML template file I can download. There is a YT simmer who states there is one on his Discord account but for some reason I cannot access Discord.

Thanks in advance.
    Answer to #1: Not any time soon. And I'm not allowed to say how I know.

By question #2 do you mean the method of putting addons in the Documents folder? If so follow this example.

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
      <AddOn.Name>Flight1 C162 Skycatcher</AddOn.Name>
      <AddOn.Description>Flight1 C162 Skycatcher</AddOn.Description>
      <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Effects</Category>
        <Path>Effects</Path>
      </AddOn.Component>
      <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Fonts</Category>
        <Path>Fonts</Path>
      </AddOn.Component>
      <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Gauges</Category>
        <Path>Gauges</Path>
      </AddOn.Component>
      <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>SimObjects</Category>
        <Path>SimObjects\Airplanes</Path>
      </AddOn.Component>
      <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Sound</Category>
        <Path>Sound</Path>
      </AddOn.Component>
    </SimBase.Document>
    Novawing24 did a couple tutorials back in P3Dv4 days that are 100% applicable to v5 as well.

Using the Add-Ons Folder Part 1

Using the Add-Ons Folder Part 2

Hope this helps.

Naismith - fsafranek has basically answered it. You will need XML Notes 2007 to edit the xml files properly. It is actually a very neat way of putting things in and taking them out without messing up the sim's overall structure and contents. The other thing is that the LM program will give you an error readout at the close of a session telling you what did not work and or why which is very handy for a lot of addons as well. My only bugbear is developers who do not use this method and still insist on using the old fashioned method of installing straight into the sim. I remove these and recreate proper addon folders for them as per the xml add on method - all then work just fine.

I keep all my scenery on another drive and simply use the the internal LM P3D scenery library tool to add it in (much like in FSX). I have found that about 80% or more of good FSX scenery has worked just fine in P3DV5. The only scenery issues are the LM default world may throw up buildings that need to be removed later on using ADE or because the LM world is more accurate than the past there are some issues about precise location of certain objects in a scenery.

Yes there are a few bugs in V5 namely with the internal menu structure and the way it works vis a vis the sim, still too clunky for my liking, the Sim Director feature is the most pressing fix needed but then again for most it is not used or needed anyway. The True Sky could do with some tweaking as well but not critical a matter of taste really.

Apart from that my experience is it is trouble free, smooth as silk with great graphics, lighting and shading in fact really a trouble free and robust sim indeed now it is 64 bit but you really need to have the NVIDIA graphics card to get there wave motion effect working so yes, true sky, real waves, great atmospherics and no CTD - what more could you want really?

Thanks very much for the info. It's a bit of a mind stretcher to get used to
    Corsair 850W PSU
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Naismith - yep hard to get used to this P3DV5 - no tweaking required, it works! The xml addon method is actually very neat way of the sim reading and adding in stuff, aircraft or vehicles and scenery. I just use it for aircraft but some of the scenery I have does use the xml addon method - Global AI Ship Traffic is one such.

Hi Naismith,

Everything you wanted to know but didn't dare ask ... about Add-on.XML is on Lorby's (free) download site : https://www.lorby-si.com/downloads.html

Look at "Prepar3D Addon Organizer"

- documentation will already give you a sound understanding of this feature
    - the utility itself will manage them for you, and ensure syntax correctness.

Enjoy

Gérard

Thanks very much re Lorby - the fog begins to lift

Have to say I am intrigued by Frank's cryptic response to my mention of a v6
    Corsair 850W PSU
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Have to say I am intrigued by Frank's cryptic response to my mention of a v6
    I think we should first see a V5.2 ...

Gérard

.....and it's no wonder that VRS are in no hurry to produce TacPack for P3Dv5.x any time soon.....

Dave

Members who have read this thread: 0