Curtiss H-16 Large America Flying Boat - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curtiss H-16 Large America Flying Boat

Hello Aleatorylamp,

It sounds to me that there is something that got changed in your "Container" (the MDL file format) rather than the SCASM code. Since I haven't ever done anything with a format other than Aircraft Animator either 64K or 133K, I can't speculate as to what exactly happened.
    I know what I would try if I were in your place, but I hesitate to suggest you go that route because with these different MDL formats that I have not worked with, I have no idea if things would really work. You keep having to switch to different MDL formats which is something I have never needed to do more than once.

I would show you examples of what I do when the Flap Angle is something like 60 degrees, but obviously I don't have access to any of my SCX files at this point.

- Ivan.

P.S. You might want to look at what the difference is between a Winglet and a Fence.

Hello Ivan,
    Thank you for your reply and suggestions!
    Strange... I suppose it must be a case of a different type of .mdl file that my SCASM 2.01 creates.
    Well, I´ll just have to have the model with non-re-SCASMable .mdl files, although I will include a SCASMable backup copy in the model directory.

I looked up the wing fence, and in the case of the Curtiss Flying Boat, it seems to have served to
    help direct the air flow for the ailerons, preventing it from spilling sideways in a slip.
    Thus, in the .air file, the winglet effect will have nothing to do with this.

Right now I´m getting a bit more ambitious with my gun barrels, and I´m going to see if I can make them rounder. Let´s see if my SCASM will be able to do that to the .mdl file!

Update:
    It worked!
    Now gun barrels and muzzles are all rounder, including the sideguns, and it definitely looks better on the model, as can be seen in the screenshots. The .mdl file is now 72462 bytes.

Cheers for now,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails round muzzles 1.jpg   round muzzles 2.jpg  
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; March 4th, 2021 at 02:28.

Curtiss H-16 uploaded

Hello folks,
    I have just uploaded the Curtiss H-16 Large America Flying boat. Here´s the link:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=19&id=27787

The aircraft will be available as soon as it has been approved by the warbirds library.
    I hope you enjoy the airplane, and do let me know if there´s anything amiss.

Now I´ll see if I can produce the British equivalent, the Felixstowe F2A, which was practically
    identical except for the 345 Hp Rolls Royce Eagle VIII engines.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot2.jpg   Screenshot3.jpg   Screenshot4.jpg  
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; March 4th, 2021 at 13:42.
    "Why make it simple if you can also make it complicated?"

CFS1 Curtiss H-16 Large America Flying Boat 1918

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 1 Aircraft Add-Ons

Description: The Curtiss H-16 "Large America" flying boat was introduced in 1917 and represented the final step in the evolution of the Curtiss Model H flying boat design.
    With longer-span than the H-12, and improved, reinforced hull by Lt. Cmd. Cyril Porte, the H-16's were powered by 400 Hp Liberty 12A engines, achieving a top speed of 95 mph at sea level.
    The Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Company in Hammondsport,and the Naval Aircraft Factory in Philadelphia built a total of 334 H16 units.
    They were armed with upto 7 Lewis MG´s, and could carry 2x230lb depth charges or 4x100lb bombs.
    Includes SCASM corrected virtual cockpit, Dp files (4 bombs), CFS1-type .air file, simple custom panel for mainly default gauges. By Stephan Scholz

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit CFS1 Curtiss H-16 Large America Flying Boat 1918
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

CFS1 Felixstowe F2A Large America Flying Boat 1918

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 1 Add-Ons

Description: The Felixstowe F2A was the English built version of the Curtiss H-16 "Large America" flying boat, introduced in 1917 and which represented the final step in the evolution of the Curtiss Model H flying boat design.

With longer-span than the Felixstowe F2, and the improved, reinforced hull by Lt. Cmd. Cyril Porte, the F2A's were powered by 350 Hp Rolls Royce Eagle VIII engines, achieving a top speed of 92 mph at sea level.

100 F2A units were built at the Naval Air Station in Felixstowe. They were armed with upto 7 Lewis MG´s, and could carry 2x230lb depth charges or 4x100lb bombs.

Includes SCASM corrected virtual cockpit, Dp files (for 4 bombs), CFS1-type .air file, and simple custom panel for mainly default gauges. By Stephan Scholz

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit CFS1 Felixstowe F2A Large America Flying Boat 1918
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Felixstowe F2A uploaded

Hello Folks,

And now for the English version, the Felixstowe F2a!
    Here´s the link, as soon as it is approved by the library:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=18&id=27792

As the H-16, the F"A has the SCASM-corrected virtual cockpit chase view, and also,
    5 of the 7 MG´s have been added via SCASM.
    As it has a different .air file, the model file had to be different as well, and I didn´t want
    the two different texture sets to have identical names, so I have opted for separate uploads.

I hope nothing is amiss, and that you will enjoy the model.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

P.S. A curious thing I noticed while running the 2 SCASM processes:
    As soon as I had added two of the 5 MG structures, the existing .mdl file
    couldn´t be updated, and SCASM had to create a new one.
    Interestingly enough, if the new model is done in Aircraft Animator 133K format,
    it won´t work in the sim, but there is no problem with the FSDS short format 133K,
    which works fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Felixstowe F2A screenshot2.jpg  

Library Staff
    Great work Stephan - thanks very much for these beauties!

Kevin

Hi Kdriver!

I´m glad you like them. Thanks!
    Now I´ll take away crew and weapons and hollow out the gunner wells
    and the cockpit prepare them for the CFS2 Gmax conversion magic that
    Martin Klein specializes!

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Hi Rami,
    Thanks for re-directing the screens of the upload index to this thread!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Great thanks Stephan for those two lovely ducks, I'll work on a vc for both CFS2 versions with a great pleasure

Cheers
    Martin

Hi Martin,
    Thanks a lot for your offer.
    For our purposes one model will be enough, as they are virtually the same.
    I´ll send it as soon as it´s donw.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Members who have read this thread: 2