DFW C.V late production 1917 & 1918 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DFW C.V late production 1917 & 1918

CK
    Beautiful planes and nice flyers but I am
    having a bit of trouble with both versions. When they load they do a lot of dancing on the runway. Don't know if it is just me or if others are having the same problem.

voyager

The tail should vibrate (dance) a little when the engine starts but that's all. Dancing when still indicates the contact points and/or height above ground are set too low in the aircraft.cfg file. It doesn't do that on my rig.

Anyone else having this issue?
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Hi Captain Kurt,
    Same with me.
    The problem seems to be in the Moments of Inertia section.
    Try empty_weight_pitch_MOI =3978.27000

Hope this helps,
    B24Guy

Hi B24Guy

That might stop the dance but unfortunately also affects the flying characteristics negatively.

I'm going to take the flight files back to the drawing board starting tomorrow when I am awake and see if I can work out any bugs.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Library Staff
    Hi Chaps,

My DFWs are behaving on the ground the same as Kurt's. Perhaps some aerodromes make the dancing more pronounced?

Kurt, you're right about the BHHW gauges. There's probably only one gauge which requires the DLL file. I notice the Westfront team hasn't included the DLL in all the recent aircraft packages and we haven't had any complaints.

Martin has converted and made many authentic German, French and British gauges with probably more to come. They are definitely worth looking at.

KD

Okay I think these files should stop any tap dances. Please someone try them and report back if it is now fixed.

If so I will update the downloads. If not back to the drawing board.

DFW CV fight files.zip
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

soon as I can get it loaded

Ck

On my setup it still dances. Takeoff is a bit bumpy. Smooth flying in the air. Can always blame it on a rough starting engine!

voyager

Takeoff will be bumpy no matter what. When it is sitting still does it dance, or just when starting the engine?
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

CK

when it loads before starting engine

I've just tried loading on a range of airfields across Belgium and northern France with no problems.

Hi CK,
    Still dances for me.
    If I get the empty_weight_pitch_MOI at about 3500 it stops.
    Any lower and it shimmies.

Regards,
    B24Guy

Geez, you would think we were talking about different aircraft altogether.

Adding to the pitch MOI works in Free Flight although it makes the flight characteristics more twitchy. But try making a quick mission with accompanying wing men test and you'll see all the planes jumping completely off the ground. it does that with my attempt above too.

The usual culprit for causing a plane to jump about is simply the static height and static pitch being set to low. I finessed that with the above files.

The issues are evidently much more complex and interconnected for a quick fix like either the MOI or the ground stance change to work unfortunately. Things like the CG position, datum position, the contact points, scrape points, static cg height, and static pitch all interact. In that mix there must be some error(s) that are causing the problem.

Rather than trying to continue to diagnose and multiple testing to try to figure what the problem(s) are, I created a whole new cfg and air file. These seem to be stable, including using the test mission. She files nose high but that can be trimmed out. In my rig she is rock stable on the ground.

Give these a try, Guys. Let me know if they are working, so I can update the download files.

DFW new airfiles.zip
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

SOH-CM-2024
    Hello, Everyone-

First, I would like to thank Capt.Kurt for these beauties! In general, I think that the German two-seaters are very 'elegant' machines, whether they are L.V.G., Albatros, Rumpler, Halberstadt, or Roland- much more style points than their opposite numbers... And I didn't realize the reputation these had for being able to take care of themselves! Kurt did a great job with these!
    Regarding their behaviour, I didn't have any issues flying them in CFS2- maybe a little tail-hopping at the start of the takeoff roll, but that was all. The interesting stuff began as I proceeded to port them over(I typically move them into FS8 first, then FS9)... more hopping, dancing around as they sat, a little shimmy in the air at speed. Using weights and dimensions I found, I recalculated the MOI values, and then gradually increased the pitch and yaw MOI values until they were steady.The dancing on the runway was solved in the contact points section- I increased the max/static ratio to 2.5, and lowered the damping ratio to 0.8 for the tail skid, and 0.4 for the wheels(I was looking at other config files when I noticed this). All better!
    It's all good, Kurt! Thanks much again!

Mike

Hi Captain Kurt,
    The new files work for me.
    I did move the eyepoint to -6.1 from -7.4

Thanks,
    B24Guy

Kurt,

I've been looking at the DFWs all afternoon and I've just noticed a small difference between the late models and the mid production version. The mid production machine sits on the ground whereas the later machines are very slightly elevated. All of them sit still on loading but take off needs much more care in the late production aircraft. The mid production machine is much more stable on take off and landing.
    Do they have the same aircraft and air files?

Mike

They do not, yet. With this latest update, they will.

B24Guy,

LOL good catch. I've been totally focused on getting it stable. I've spent all the time flying outside the cockpit so I could see how it was behaving that I never once stepped into the VC cockpit.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Version V.2 has been posted

Version V.2 with fixed flight files has been posted. The original download links are still good.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Icon22 Reply...

Kurt,

I love how you chronicled the development of this. Nice work!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Members who have read this thread: 0