The Thomas Ruth Antonov AN 225
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Thomas Ruth Antonov AN 225

The Thomas Ruth Antonov AN 225

Fun model ....huge plane with originally really small graphics. I've done a few in the past...so this time decided to rework the graphics from 1024 res to something bigger/cleaner. There are some repaints around in 4096, however there's more to a paint than just the paint. This model has specs, bumps, and 'light', not just paint/alpha.

First step was to chase all the model openings to be mapped per-pixel....and only the doors were pretty right. Nothing much in the 'windows' or nose opening were done, and the biggest issue was the 4 times too big bumps that made the model/plane look small...like an Airfix kit.

So ... I redid all the linework as a single pixel at 4096 .... chasing the seams in the model map. 2 weeks later I'm just about done with the fuselage...and better part of 2 days got the rudder openings to make sense...dealing with a right...a reflected left....and a 90% shrunk inner.
    The main, and the bumps are currently 36 layers...so eventually I'll upload the kit for others to mess with...

I like working with models that have 'everything' on one bitmap ....so there's less chasing between pieces. This one's mostly OK, though I haven't even begun to look at the wings yet on separate bitmaps.

At the scale I'm painting you can read the phone number and email addy for 'International Cargo Transporter' [I have an urge to paint one green and put the number '2' on it .... "international Rescue" ...

Next step is mapping seams on the tailplane surfaces and working out what 'scale' they were mapped to the image at ....looks like they were scaled down too...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ant 225-3.jpg  

Here's the Kit in progress. I work in PSP 6 as I've used it for so long it's second nature.... and it can save-as in psd to keep PS users happy...

One of the first things I did was rig up some smoke effects to engine N1 and vapour trails to wingtips and rudders ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ant 225-4.jpg  

Thanks for your efforts and describing the process.
    This aircraft has a lot going for it internally and with the different animations.
    Upping the realism on the surface textures is just the enhancement she needs.

Getting the bumps to behave....got some lines on the tail ....lots more to do...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ant 225-5.jpg  

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

OK...so I finally got the hang of the fuse....the bitmap and its alpha....and the bumps and its alpha....and the spec....and its alpha....and the 'light'....and its alpha.
    Now all I need to do is the same again....with the wings.
    That means I've done 4 bitmaps.....only 6 more to go.....yay.....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ant 225-7.jpg  

Hopefully all goes well with the remaining textures.

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

Well....the wings are an absolute pain. The linework doesn't match - link up with anything...so cannot work as a guide. I've had to reverse-engineer every part/opening by defining their boundaries on the bitmaps.
    An example....there are 4 flap sections [trailing] per wing...each has a top and bottom...each of those has 4 boundaries. That's 32 lines that need to be mapped by trial and error.
    Then there's Airlerons .... another 16 lines ....and spoilerons ...another 4 per wing...before segmenting.
    By defining actual boundaries of each 'part' I can determine what's blank on the bitmaps....as well as make sense of what aligns with what.

Probably at least another day or 2 before I can even get to the linework. The original linework I did was rubbish...

Thanks for spending the time and effort for this project. Nice work..!

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Well....
    Yeah, I hate it when that happens. Hopefully you will not hit a total show stopper somewhere along the way. I've had that happen on more than once aircraft during my repaint career. It always shows up when I am about 99% finished with my repaint. DOH!

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

There's not a lot of detail around re the wing panel lines...but I've 'fudged it'. Once I'd worked out where the images actually were on the bitmap...and where all the moving surfaces started and ended....this is most of the bitmap/alpha sorted. Then it'll be bumping the lines and fading them a bit...and doing the specs....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ant 225-11.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	81520

I still have the rest of the bump maps for the wings to do.... but the rest of it is mostly right, not just as the real ITC animal...but am organising 'what ifs' as well so the kit can be used for 'anything'...

Name:	ant 225-13.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	81534

.....but am organizing 'what ifs' as well so the kit can be used for 'anything'...

I know at one time China was interested in producing the An-225, but I am not sure what happened to that deal. Regardless of what has transpired, I would think that China's aerospace industry is capable of producing their own in-house super heavy lift transports and need not rely on An's designs. Still, an An-225 in a China repaint would be nice.

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

Reworking some existing what-ifs....attempting to convince the wings they are metal....

Name:	ant 225-15.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	81550

Blog Entries
    Nice project, JAFO!!

In your texture rework, any plans for a real-world CCCP paint like this: https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/d...eg_14404_p.jpg

Whatever you come up with, should be great!

dl

Yes...that'll be easy to do....as I'll be releasing proper layered kits [in psd] to enable anything [almost]...

Getting 'happier' with the metal....probably need to stain/dirty it up to get it more 'right'....

Name:	ant 225-16.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	81563

Blog Entries
    Yes...that'll be easy to do....as I'll be releasing proper layered kits [in psd] to enable anything [almost]...
    Great news. Looking great.

Having a layered Paintkit means you can do these quite easily...

Name:	ant 225-17.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	81570

Having a layered Paintkit means you can do these quite easily...

Name:	ant 225-17.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	81570
    Wow, I wonder what the Aussie's would name that one. Looks like something out of Mad Max, except prettier.

Tommy
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    Logitech M510

cockpit..

I have to think you might have touched up the panel or VC. Even if you can't share it could you give us peek..?
    Or tell us what you are flying with....

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk72s View Post
    I have to think you might have touched up the panel or VC. Even if you can't share it could you give us peek..?
    Or tell us what you are flying with....
    Yes....One of the other things I like to do....create 2D panels from a screencap of the VC ...and improve clarity by making them bigger....2560x1440...here's the 2D panel...

Name:	ant 225-2D pit.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	81637

Don't try this at home....we bit big for aerobatics.....
    Realized the bottom is supposed to be metal ..... and the only way to chase spec is to point the bum at the sun....I kept punching up the shine and spec...but couldn't see the results till inverted.
    Probably have to chase panel sections to get it more 'real'.....

Name:	ant 225-22.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	81639

Model has different properties [looks like] for wings vs fuse...so getting metal to make sense in each requires different approaches....but I'm getting there...

Name:	ant 225-24.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	81724

Dunno why images are shrunk lately...since the site update...am doing them the same way...

Finally got both bits of plane looking like they belong....acres of metalwork on one of these things...

Name:	ant 225-25.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	81729

Members who have read this thread: 2