Question about Reinstalling FSX

Thread: Question about Reinstalling FSX

Question about Reinstalling FSX

FSX is giving me problems and I have no idea what the source of those might be. I have major pauses and stutters in the Sim just sitting at a parking spot where I am unable to do anything until the Sim fixes itself. It also has this weird thing it does now when I close out the Sim. If I decide to go back into FSX at some point (5 mins later, 30 mins or an hour later) I get a message that FSX is already running. When I check, it's actualy been moved to "Background Process" "Suspended". So rather than actually shutting down as it has always done in the past. . .it now has this new trick it likes to play, lol.

I have decided to do a clean install on my "D" drive, which is larger and has very little on it since I did away with P3D and X-Plane. Can I leave the installation that's on the "E" drive intact and do a fresh install on the "D" drive or will it recognize the current installation and make me uninstall that one first. My thought was that by doing that I could simply move the airplanes, gauges, etc. over and then uninstall the old version once I have what I need. Suggestions?

On a side note, in looking through Task Manager I have 56 Background Processes running and 86 Windows Processes running (most of those are the ones labeled "Service Host"). Seems like a ridiculous amount of stuff running in the background. I have no idea what most of it is or does so I have refrained from just arbitrarily shutting those off.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Hi Ed,

You might want to refrain from reinstalling, but start looking at those processes carefully. They are a bit on the high side.

I can't look at your pc so it is a bit difficult to do a good diagnose, but look at the processes and services. Looking at the task manager (advanced view) will also tell you what is eating CPU, GPU and memory.

It might be helpful to post some screenshots of the a.m. things.

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Greetings.

The voting for Dereham in Norfolk is;

Background; 67

Windows processes; 93.

I just wish I knew more about these numbers and why!

Sorry I can't help any more.

Regards, Graham.

Falcon, do you have a virus protection software running in the background??

That might be causing the stutters and interrupts if its continually scanning any HD activity.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Falcon, doing a clean install on a second drive should not cause any problems what so ever. Once that install is complete you can simply copy and paste whatever files you need from the old sim to the new. i.e. airplanes etc. Currently I have P3Dv3 running on "B" drive, FSX running on "E" drive and Steam running on "H" drive.

If FSX was running well, then suddenly it develops problems, I'd look at what has been recently installed or updated. Also, anti-virus/anti-malware programs can interfere with FSX. Most anti-virus/anti-malware programs allow the user to select files, folders, or drives to ignore.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Members who have read this thread: 0