Confusion Over Cargo Weight Of DC-4s. C-54s, and Carvairs - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Confusion Over Cargo Weight Of DC-4s. C-54s, and Carvairs

Okkkayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Made another testing flight abroad R5D!!!

Had it climb after take off and flew it using different methods which was to reduce propeller control levels to 70 percent and reduce the mixture levels to 70 percent.

That improved the climb speed from 130 kt to 140 kt, improved the climb rate from 200 fpm to 400 fpm, and improved the cruising speed from 154 kt KIAS to 166 kt KIAS.

But that falls short of 180 kt KIAS cruising speed and 800 fpm climb rate.

Mmmmmmmm what else should I do to get to 180 kt KIAS cruising speed and 800 fpm climb rate??

Regards,

Aharon

Hi Aharon,

Why are you talking about percentages? I have this plane as well and it flies by the number.
    I always use the manual and follow the given procedures:

Take-off: 50"manifold / full prop / mixture auto rich (85%)

when possible reduced to 40" / 2550 RPM and climbing at 500 fpm

Climb: 35" / 2350 RPM / mixture auto rich

Cruise: 30" / 2250 RPM / mixture auto lean

Good luck,

Marijn

Hi Aaron, I do not know if you did it already but just in case...

When you are flying this sort of aircraft, it is important to get them in the correct attitude (angle of attack, AoA) to get the less drag and the best speed.

Basically, when you get to the desired altitude, do NOT reduce the engine settings, let the aircraft accelerate on its own, then, once the maximum speed is attained (or the target cruise speed is well exceeded), reduce the engine settings to cruise.

The aircraft then will decelerate on its own and keep the best attitude and speed for those settings.

This is so because as you climb you have a higher AoA than at cruise and you fly slower, which creates some drag. By accelerating you reduced the AOA and the drag induced by this will reduce and then as you reduce your settings it will slowly increase to the correct values on its own.

In another words, at cruise settings you may not have enough power to counteract the drag caused by the AoA, so go past that point and then reduce so when everything stabilizes you are in the optimal (ish) position.

The explanation is a bit more complex than that, but if you haven't give it a try and tell us.

Saludos
    Born to Fly

Hi Aharon,

The above method and flying to 500 ft ABOVE your assigned altitude, set RPM and manifold pressure to cruise and decent to your assigned altitude will give the same result and a correct AOA.
    (but all of this is also described in the manual of course).

brgds,

Marijn

Thanks all for kind explanations Much appreciated

Regards,

Aharon

Members who have read this thread: 1