Time to Upgrade the Rig (aka OVERKILL)

Thread: Time to Upgrade the Rig (aka OVERKILL)

Time to Upgrade the Rig (aka OVERKILL)

All,

In 2016 I bought (what was then) a killer Flight Sim rig from Jetline Systems. I have loved it. With the release of P3D v5 and MSFS 2020 however, it is clearly past it's prime. With prices of completely new rigs being more than I am currently willing to pay, I worked with Greg and Ken at Jetline, and they will be upgrading my existing rig for several thousand dollars less than a new one. The major upgrades include new motherboard, faster processor, faster RAM, and NVidia's new 3090 video card. Here are the specs:

Operating System:
    Windows 10 Professional
    Chassis: Phanteks P400A Mid-Tower Chassis
    Black
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z490 PRO
    AX
    Processor: Intel Core i9 10850K (5.2 GHz Boost Clock) Ten CoreCPU
    Cooling:
    *Customer Provided* Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooling System
    Memory:
    32GB Ripjaws DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHz
    Graphics Processor:
    24GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090, GDDR6XSystem
    Power:
    *Customer Provided* 850 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply
    Sound Card: 7.1 High Definition Integrated Audio
    Storage
    Drive 1: *Customer Provided* 1TB Samsung EVO 850 Solid State Drive (SSD)
    Storage Drive 2
    : *Customer Provided* Secondary SSD Drive
    Optical Drive: *Customer Provided*
    20x DVD/CD Burner Drive
    Media Drive: None
    Selected
    Networking: Integrated High Speed Network Ready (10/100/1000)
    Networking:
    802.11ac Integrated Wireless Networking WiFi

It's a good window for them to do the upgrade as I will likely be off on business for the next month or two. Looking forward to reinstalling MSFS 2020 and P3D V4.5+ (too few add on have yet been upgraded for V5 to make it viable for me). I'm looking forward to seeing the performance increases, since the old rig was like a slideshow in MSFS, and was not a lot better in P3D v5. As you can see, there is VERY LITTLE that will be left over from the old rig when I get it back!

Kent

Probably the only way to get hold of a 3090!
    Currently we have to 'pre-order' and 'pre-pay' (in full!) for a place in line when the next delivery arrives.
    Last time round the shipment consisted of 30 cards!!!!!!!
    Gone in a flash.
    Bloody crypto miners.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

According to the guys at Jetline, they have to do all sorts of nutty "drug deals" (that aren't necessarily commercially viable over the long term...and primarily related to the new generation of NVidia cards) to ensure a supply of the right components. I wish everyone could interface with Jetline, because they are true cheerleaders for the hobby, and manage to balance that with a business model. LOVE 'EM. NVidia needs their a**es kicked for hyping a product line they clearly can't support.

Kent

Cryptocurrency miners and scalpers have certainly changed the graphics card market and not for the better.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Just for the sake of it I might get moving on building that Ryzen box I've been contemplating.

BTW, that's not overkill!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    All,

In 2016 I bought (what was then) a killer Flight Sim rig from Jetline Systems. I have loved it. With the release of P3D v5 and MSFS 2020 however, it is clearly past it's prime. With prices of completely new rigs being more than I am currently willing to pay, I worked with Greg and Ken at Jetline, and they will be upgrading my existing rig for several thousand dollars less than a new one. The major upgrades include new motherboard, faster processor, faster RAM, and NVidia's new 3090 video card. Here are the specs:

Operating System:
    Windows 10 Professional
    Chassis: Phanteks P400A Mid-Tower Chassis
    Black
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z490 PRO
    AX
    Processor: Intel Core i9 10850K (5.2 GHz Boost Clock) Ten CoreCPU
    Cooling:
    *Customer Provided* Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooling System
    Memory:
    32GB Ripjaws DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHz
    Graphics Processor:
    24GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090, GDDR6XSystem
    Power:
    *Customer Provided* 850 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply
    Sound Card: 7.1 High Definition Integrated Audio
    Storage
    Drive 1: *Customer Provided* 1TB Samsung EVO 850 Solid State Drive (SSD)
    Storage Drive 2
    : *Customer Provided* Secondary SSD Drive
    Optical Drive: *Customer Provided*
    20x DVD/CD Burner Drive
    Media Drive: None
    Selected
    Networking: Integrated High Speed Network Ready (10/100/1000)
    Networking:
    802.11ac Integrated Wireless Networking WiFi

It's a good window for them to do the upgrade as I will likely be off on business for the next month or two. Looking forward to reinstalling MSFS 2020 and P3D V4.5+ (too few add on have yet been upgraded for V5 to make it viable for me). I'm looking forward to seeing the performance increases, since the old rig was like a slideshow in MSFS, and was not a lot better in P3D v5. As you can see, there is VERY LITTLE that will be left over from the old rig when I get it back!

Kent

I like it. It'll surely be an upgrade depending on your previous setup. Good luck with a 3090, I've been on a hunt for that now for over 3 months. Also, there's no such thing as overkill for MSFS. You can have the NASA sized computational power and still may not get the most out of this sim.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Just for the sake of it I might get moving on building that Ryzen box I've been contemplating.

BTW, that's not overkill!
    You MUST be a hardware junkie. Don't you like already have a Cray?
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Members who have read this thread: 0