"The server is too busy......."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "The server is too busy......."

"The server is too busy......."

There are times when I go to sign onto the SOH site, and the message is displayed that says "the server is too busy; try later", or something to that effect.. But lately, the frequency of this happening has increased considerably. Any info? NC

I see it, too! Must be a busy day or maybe some site maintenance?
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

I've been seeing that more frequently in the last few weeks as well Chief.

I saw it again yesterday morning.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Happened 5 minutes ago!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-01-23 at 12.03.49 PM.png 
Views:	344 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	81065
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

It happens from time to time.
    I just logged in right now without any problem.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Yes it does happen every so often, but lately the frequency has increased greatly. NC

Yep. Just happened to me five minutes ago, 6:05 pm Pacific Time on Sunday - only 8 members and 335 guests on line.

Does anyone have an idea what is going on?
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

We have staff members who would usually be able to look into this area MIA for some weeks.
    RL issues are impacting these people AFAIK.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Ii's funny you guys have all started whingeing about this now. We in Western Europe have had the dreaded message for years - usually in the early morning our time.
    It was always attributed to site maintenance, updates, etc., done at a time which inconvenienced the majority of users least.
    It appears that the timing of this might have changed, for whatever reason.
    Certainly I'm having no trouble this morning ! Posting at this hour used to be a no-no.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Ii's funny you guys have all started whingeing about this now. We in Western Europe have had the dreaded message for years - usually in the early morning our time.
    It was always attributed to site maintenance, updates, etc., done at a time which inconvenienced the majority of users least.
    It appears that the timing of this might have changed, for whatever reason.
    Certainly I'm having no trouble this morning ! Posting at this hour used to be a no-no.
    Same here. It used to be quite impossible to access this website in the early hours, but I didn't face this issue for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty View Post
    Ii's funny you guys have all started whingeing about this now.
    Not really accurate. When I couldn't access this forum, I posted on the SOH Flight Center site. If you go there you'll see posts on this issue going back several years.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

It has happened to me three times today; most recently about a hour ago. NC

Multiple times over the last few days I have been getting emails about high server loads. The culprit is mysql which is normal and 2 other process that I do not normally see as high.

I am looking into it.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    Multiple times over the last few days I have been getting emails about high server loads. The culprit is mysql which is normal and 2 other process that I do not normally see as high.

I am looking into it.
    Appreciate your looking into it Dave. Thanks. Pete

cross your fingers

I believe it was the same old problem of too many bots indexing the site. Over 400 in just a couple of IP Address ranges. I blocked them and have been monitoring it. So far it looks good.

I also learned a few things about the server load message. I have to contemplate how I address it.

We got through the night pretty good but this morning I am still seeing some spikes in server loads.

Just piling on....I get these messages almost every day lately. (USA, Central states)

Arizona here. I keep seeing it too. Thanks Dave, I know it's hard to keep up with.
    Sue

South Yorkshire, UK, seven times today from approx 6.30am up to about 5 minutes ago.

and yesterday and today, the download speed from the library is down to about a quarter of that on a typical day before this week - - that is, about 40KB/sec today compared to 160KB/sec normally.

Quote Originally Posted by rohan View Post
    and yesterday and today, the download speed from the library is down to about a quarter of that on a typical day before this week - - that is, about 40KB/sec today compared to 160KB/sec normally.

Yep, I noticed that, also, yesterday!

Yes that is by design to see if the total number of people downloading is causing the issue. Unfortunately there is no tool to tell me how many people are downloading.

When NC posted this thread the loads were spiking every hour. When I blocked the known problem IP Addresses the loads spiked every 2 hours.

The next change was to the download speeds which were trimmed across the board slightly. That did not really help we still had the same frequency. I then got draconian with the download speeds across the board just to see if that helped. That caused the spike frequency to go to every 3 hours.

The next thing I did was run a maintenance tool in the that repairs and optimizes the forum database tables. I have had to run that tool a couple times to clear out posting issues. That change 6 hours until the next spike.

I have some more testing to do this morning. After that we will adjust again. We are missing something that is the issue. I am not sure if all of these changes are fixing the issue or if they are just giving room for the issue to live on unnoticed.

Either way the move to the new server is coming and we have preparations to do related to that project.

I found another possible culprit which could have been additive to the problem. The AV Scanner was using 30% of the system memory. I booted it out the door to see if that helps the issue. I just did that so now the clock starts again to see how things are running.

I will increase the server speeds if this turns out good.

All good, so far!

Members who have read this thread: 0