Gulfstream V FSX
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gulfstream V FSX

Gulfstream V FSX

Well, here is a new thread to offer an alternative to the Gulfstream in the thread that never will be it seems. I found two downloads of the G550 by Google and a panel with a VC as a separate offering. Here are two screenshots from the download. I will be checking this out and posting MY findings here. I am taking the word of the designer:

The original version of this aircraft was designed for FS2004, and was nowhere near accurate with it's flight dynamics (it would not fly higher than about FL180). This version includes flight dynamic data that is known in the real-world. Do your own research and you will find that this plane is one of the best, based on the real-world data available. I have not invented anything in this aircraft, but simply worked the math to make her fly like she's supposed to. This includes the drag rate, lift scale, and engine power. Otherwise I'm sure you will find this plane a breeze to fly. Hopefully, you enjoy long-distance flights. Read the data available when you load the aircraft, before loading it, and you will learn what is needed. If you have any questions or comments, please advise ...

Douglas E. Trapp
    FS Flight Dynamics Engineer
    Arlington, Texas
    August 10, 2009
    KC6ZOF@Yahoo.com

I hope to do a credible enhancement to the textures in Photoshop and create a new repaint for the exterior to the best of MY abilities. Any other improvements I will share after getting Doug's permission with you all here in the Library. And YES Pete I am going to do a NAVY repaint of it too.
    Gotta have something to fly in and out of Corpus Christi.

Richard

Looking pretty good isn't it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screen-15.jpg   screen-8.jpg  

Actually pretty nice exterior and the interior could use some texture updating but unfortunately being an FS9 model there's no VC (only a 2D panel from the CRJ-700) which is a showstopper for me.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

I Have A VC to add

I agree that this comes with a 2D but I have a VC that will be added to the final model which will NOT be a "showstopper". I agree that back in the day I would have never used a VC and now I never use a 2D except popups if the VC is difficult to manage like an overhead. Don't give up on it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I agree that this comes with a 2D but I have a VC that will be added to the final model which will NOT be a "showstopper". I agree that back in the day I would have never used a VC and now I never use a 2D except popups if the VC is difficult to manage like an overhead. Don't give up on it yet.
    So you plan to convert this model to Native FSX then?

Current System Specs:

The Simple Answer

I have a partner who I am working with now who did the cfg and the air file and they have been updated. From here I will be posting updates as they occur. Like the President's (any president) press secretary says: I'll get back to you on that LOL!

I have a partner who I am working with now who did the cfg and the air file and they have been updated. From here I will be posting updates as they occur. Like the President's (any president) press secretary says: I'll get back to you on that LOL!
    lol, Fair enough, I only bring that up because a VC can only be added in one of two ways (that I know of). . .the aircraft must be converted to Native FSX. . .or. . .You must have the original source code and in that way build your own VC.

Current System Specs:

Well, here is a new thread to offer an alternative to the Gulfstream in the thread that never will be it seems. I found two downloads of the G550 by Google and a panel with a VC as a separate offering. Here are two screenshots from the download. I will be checking this out and posting MY findings here. I am taking the word of the designer:

The original version of this aircraft was designed for FS2004, and was nowhere near accurate with it's flight dynamics (it would not fly higher than about FL180). This version includes flight dynamic data that is known in the real-world. Do your own research and you will find that this plane is one of the best, based on the real-world data available. I have not invented anything in this aircraft, but simply worked the math to make her fly like she's supposed to. This includes the drag rate, lift scale, and engine power. Otherwise I'm sure you will find this plane a breeze to fly. Hopefully, you enjoy long-distance flights. Read the data available when you load the aircraft, before loading it, and you will learn what is needed. If you have any questions or comments, please advise ...

Douglas E. Trapp
    FS Flight Dynamics Engineer
    Arlington, Texas
    August 10, 2009
    KC6ZOF@Yahoo.com

I hope to do a credible enhancement to the textures in Photoshop and create a new repaint for the exterior to the best of MY abilities. Any other improvements I will share after getting Doug's permission with you all here in the Library. And YES Pete I am going to do a NAVY repaint of it too.
    Gotta have something to fly in and out of Corpus Christi.

Richard

Looking pretty good isn't it?

Richard,

FWIW, have you seen/tried this version:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downlo...lfstream-g550/

Butch

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Richard,

FWIW, have you seen/tried this version:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downlo...lfstream-g550/

Butch
    The same one!

Current System Specs:

Yes

You're right Ed. I have three downloads that I am working with. Just finished creating myself a paintkit and doing research. I have downloaded 15 photos. work will continue tomorrow. I am watching Wheel Of Fortune. LOL! Paintshop is closed for the day.

Panel

Hi,
    Good luck on your project.
    I was wondering if you had looked at the G550 panel by G. Munro...? "FSXA Gulfstream G550 2D Panel"
    Its 2D but I think it could be adapted for a VC. Its complex but certainly bumps the realism up.
    Available on Simviation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G550 Cover Picture.jpg  

Thank You

I saw it and was really impressed, but dismissed it because it was 2D ONLY but I will download it and check it out again. After checking it out and reading the documentation, I think it is fantastic and as real as it gets for freeware and even for some payware projects. It is so complex though that my little knowledge of modifying VC's would never allow me to attempt to create a VC from this panel even though Mr. Munro in his docs says he would allow it. We will probably use the panel I have that HAS a VC though it is much less real than this it is still a good panel. If anyone wants to use this one I will have a link to Simviation in our documentation and how to add it. A lot of good aircraft in the past all in FS9 I flew were done from a 2D panel. We have just moved forward in FSX and P3D and now everyone I know uses VC's.
    Last edited by tgycgijoes; January 23rd, 2021 at 06:10.

I look forward to seeing where you can go with this.
    I downloaded the model, and added the G550 panel, do you have working flaps..?

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk72s View Post
    I look forward to seeing where you can go with this.
    I downloaded the model, and added the G550 panel, do you have working flaps..?
    All the animations of the aircraft work. It includes a main exit with stairs open with [SHFT]E as is the case in FSX. I am working on it and will post updates here as I can. The reversers on the engines are also animated as are flaps; elevator; ailerons; landing gear etc.
    Last edited by tgycgijoes; January 23rd, 2021 at 11:13.

Update

I spent most of the day on a texture for the C-37 I won't go into why just say the simple texture had something to be desired. I do finally have it under control and understand it.

Secondly though, in doing that I discovered that the model is NOT FSX native and maybe not even a port-over. It DOES work nicely in FSX(A) but at this time there is no VC. The panel that says it has a vc is missing the textures so its black when you open it. I installed G. Munro's 2D panel and it is really impressive, virtually a realistic G550 panel with all the functions. My one complaint is that to set the altimeter you have to use the mouse right and left clicks and mine rolls off the knob and clicks STD frequently while trying to set it. All the other buttons and switches work great. Like the docs say, it has a pretty good learning curve. I have added some details in the texture to make it a little more detailed in appearance and I have an email to the panel designer of the one with vc for the texture bmps so that I can offer a panel with a vc though it is not as elaborate as the 2D by Munro. You'll have to choose. I got the updated sound; cfg and air files today from Doug Trappe and added them to the folder. I saw that back in FS9, Mike Stone created a Gulfstream and Henry Tomkiewicz has it seems one hundred textures for the HTAI one. Well, that's it for today/tonight I'm tired of looking at this screen LOL! More updates to come when I have something new to share.

if interested i can help, i convert the model to native FSX, with clear authorization from all
    English is not my native language, I ask your indulgence.
    Correct me, if you will.

Bits & Pieces

Doing some digging and found that an old model by Rick Sasala has a VC and cabin.
    Reworked by Philippe Wallaert it gets one excited until you see the way the gauges show up in the VC.
    The 2D panel looks interesting.
    The file is at Simviation called "Gulfstream_IV.zip".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   vc.jpg  

Thanks

I think that I found this yesterday too and I'll check it out tomorrow. I searched on Flightsim.com; Avsim; Simviation and Flyaway...Most of what's on there sadly for Gulfstreams is all HTAI. The textures are fantastic but no VC's and only flyable if you add a 2D and then the windows are all dark. Phooey! I'll continue to muddle along with this and offer the best that I am able to do with it. The air file and aircraft cfg are spot on to reality and I want to do the rest of it up to Doug's hard work. So.......stay tuned here. I hope that I was not too ambitious and over confident about it.

G Munro Panel

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk72s View Post
    Doing some digging and found that an old model by Rick Sasala has a VC and cabin.
    Reworked by Philippe Wallaert it gets one excited until you see the way the gauges show up in the VC.
    The 2D panel looks interesting.
    The file is at Simviation called "Gulfstream_IV.zip".
    I checked it out too and it is probably the same one because I don't like the VC either. I am not criticizing them because I just got through reading was is supposed to be a simple VC tutorial trying to figure out how to turn Munro's 2D panel into a VC. After the last few hours of not knowing up from down; have to use FS Design Studio which I DO have but gave up on confused a couple months ago...I do not have the patience to even attempt that VC. Munro in his PDF if I read it correctly gives permission to do this if anyone wants to attempt it. I'll continue to do the repaint and Doug Trapp has already sent me the files to make this a really nice aircraft.

Model Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Donadon View Post
    if interested i can help, i convert the model to native FSX, with clear authorization from all
    Thank you for your kind offer but the one readme I found from Peter Brun of liderdesigns says that we cannot do anything with his model without his express permission and after spending some time this afternoon there was no luck contacting him so I am going to use the model as it is. It works perfectly in FSX. I have a contact that I am going to send a test package to to see if it works in P3D and what versions. I know it will not work in MSFS.

With that being said, I will probably be ready in a few days to give out a beta copy to test to the FDE designer and a couple simmer friends who test for me and get their feedback.

Final

I can't put together a complete package of this for too many reasons and frustrations to go into. I apologize for getting all your hopes up and I am disappointed too. What I will do is provide an accurate aircraft.cfg and air file updated to as close to real as FSX gets from Doug Trapp with his kind permission. Also I am including my C-37 VIP repaint which I just completed and am excited to share. You will need to download "g-550spdet from AVSIM. It includes a 2D panel. If you choose you can download G. Munro's very accurate 2D panel shown above available from Simviation. That is the one I am going to use. I have been told that this won't work in P3D because of the model and its not possible to have a VC because there is no int.mdl

I contacted one of the panel designers who said his had a VC because the texture files were missing. I just got a reply from him that he no longer has any interest in flight simulation and wouldn't be sending me anything. Sounds like another bitter designer who got a raw deal somewhere. The model can't be converted or modified because the designer said so in a readme. So I'm afraid that's it.

I did this completely by hand from a paintkit that I created. All the artwork (except for the flag free clipart and the national roundel from the USAF free downloads was done by me from photos. Colors were digitally sampled so that it as accurate as FSX can be. I DID have fun doing this though at times it was frustrating aligning. This is my gift to all of you for waiting for this to conclude. I will post a download link a little later today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gulfstream C-37 VIP.jpg  

Thanks for your efforts I can appreciate the work done...

PM sent.

Final Post For This Thread

Here is the download link to the update package for the Gulfstream 550 that is at AVSIM with my repaint texture and the new air and aircraft.cfg and sound files. If you have any problems, PM me and I will try and help. There is a README included with instructions.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vurmc2...pdate.zip/file

Ooops

Well, I was double checking the upgrade folder and realized that I inadvertently included the sample from Doug and not the proper aircraft.cfg so delete that one and use this one instead:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7fgz4f...craft.cfg/file

Sorry for the mistake.

For Gulfstream fans, here's my do-it-yourself mash up that's allmost enitrely freeware, it's an AI model G650 running in P3Dv4 with PBR and the default CRJ VC modded by someone else also feeware with a number of tweaks and gauges (eg F1 GTN750, FS Spotlights) I added. I don't care about the interior and don't really miss the usual animations.

Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Really Nice

I too noticed that a number of guys converted HTAI Gulfstream into flyable models but I did not see anyone to merge a VC with them. Nice Work!

Members who have read this thread: 9