Getting reflectance to work... or not!!

Thread: Getting reflectance to work... or not!!

Getting reflectance to work... or not!!

I've been tinkering with PBR for maybe two years now and, having finally got P3Dv5.1, HF 1 to work on my ancient rig, I foolishly thought getting reflectance to work would be a cinch. No! The metallic texture has metal in the red channel, ambient occlusion in the green and smoothness in the alpha. But adding reflectance with MCX does nothing, whatever I do to the blue channel. WTF am I doing wrong??

The latest conversion is the Aircraft Factory P-51H which I've been playing with for about 4 months. I have PBR skins for a few ANG paints as well as having re-positioned Warbirdsim pylons and rocket stubs and added Warbirdsim drop-tanks, rockets and bombs. Also, being a huge fan of 'what-if' I've done an RAF Griffon conversion with bits carved off the RealAir Spit XIV and some 20mm cannon, and slung an arrestor hook on the back, again from the Warbirdsim Sea Horse. All models look much better in v5.1 with HF1 than v4.5, but there's no difference with reflectance added at all.

The only 197th FS (the Copperheads) 'H' The copper paint looks good.

615 Sqdn. R Aux. AF

..and finally in the Navy

Anybody any suggestions? (Apart from forget it, they look OK!)

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Hi Dave,

I'm probably talking about stuff you already do, but when I have used MCX I set the material to be 'PBR material', check that 'smoothness source' is metallic alpha, and then I add the metallic texture.

I see there is a 'metallic has reflectance' option, I assume you've tried that already?

When experimenting it would appear that the metallic alpha if black is not reflective, but if white is insanely reflective. I've not set the reflectance options before, only metallic diffuse and alpha.

Oh and forget it they look okay LOL

Thanks David. I did your B-58 for v4.5 a while back but it needs work for v5.1. Also it doesn't seem to like MCX 1.40. Keeps corrupting the pod animations/visibility.

Here's what I've got so far...

Last year's try - some issues with aluminium colour.

Latest try. The nacelles need work.

There's a lot of work in converting every paint but I'm abandoning reflectance for now...!

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    Thanks David. I did your B-58 for v4.5 a while back but it needs work for v5.1. Also it doesn't seem to like MCX 1.40. Keeps corrupting the pod animations/visibility.

Here's what I've got so far...

Last year's try - some issues with aluminium colour.

Latest try. The nacelles need work.

There's a lot of work in converting every paint but I'm abandoning reflectance for now...!

DaveQ
    Hi Dave

I found that too but once I got the latest MCX that visibility bug was fixed!

Yep! That's done it! Can now work on the Hustler without it corrupting. Thanks for the tip.

DaveQ

Blog Entries
    Nice to see you back, Dave!

The ‘58 looks amazing.

D

Members who have read this thread: 0