Cockpit View Camera Type " FREELOOK "

Thread: Cockpit View Camera Type " FREELOOK "

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs

Angry Cockpit View Camera Type " FREELOOK "

Does anyone know how to regain control of the mouse once you have entered into this mode?

I was enjoying a trans-Atlantic flight: Gatwick to JFK

I was getting to close to top of descent when I started "fooling around" with the cockpit camera views.

When I was in this mode , the mouse becomes a "freelook" device and you can use it to scroll all over the place .... and my Track IR went a little bonkers but worked for the most part.

The trouble is : ... you can no longer "click" on anything !

I have a cheat sheet with the standard MSFS key commands but nothing on it addresses this problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lost control of mouse_LI.jpg  

I believe I've gotten out of this mode by middle clicking. It has only happened by accident so not sure if it's quite the same but sounds like it.

Hi

I have a scrollball but the principle should be the same; right-click with the panel for camera open and the pointer should appear in it and the fixed camera should be on. No need to click again.

Give it a shot.
    Torture numbers and they'll say anything.

Hubbabubba, Touche à tout.

Quote Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
    Does anyone know how to regain control of the mouse once you have entered into this mode?

I was enjoying a trans-Atlantic flight: Gatwick to JFK

I was getting to close to top of descent when I started "fooling around" with the cockpit camera views.

When I was in this mode , the mouse becomes a "freelook" device and you can use it to scroll all over the place .... and my Track IR went a little bonkers but worked for the most part.

The trouble is : ... you can no longer "click" on anything !

I have a cheat sheet with the standard MSFS key commands but nothing on it addresses this problem.
    So, I use this all the time on purpose. You can use it in either the cockpit or externally. To activate it, you click the scroll wheel on the mouse. To deactivate, click the right mouse button. No need to open any windows. And, yes, you can't interact with the cockpit in that mode, so you have to switch back and forth. I have too many windows in my room, so my TrackIR 4 doesn't like to work, so this is a good replacement.

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    Thanks for the replies fella's.
    I went over to AVSIM Forums and did a little search, one responder said to open the ATC window by using the keyboard command for that ... "Scroll Lock"... and when that window opens click on it and drag it around ... that's just the problem. The mouse is now un-useable. I have left clicked, center clicked & scroll wheeled clicked, and I have right clicked ... nothing !

The mouse pointer is "invisible" while in this FREELOOK mode.

... oh, I even turned the mouse over on it's back and there was a "red eye" looking at me ! Well, I gave it a "black eye" .... I tell you ...

I'll reread your instructions and give them a go.

Middle-click toggles between the having a cursor to click things and the no-cursor free look mode. I think right-clicking while in free look will also release it. You can also have the free look mode temporarily by holding the right mouse button.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

This is a screen capture of my "mouse" assignments for the cockpit camera:

You will note that you need to hold the right click button to stay in freelook mode.

The assignment just over lets you toggle between cursor/no cursor in freelook mode. But my "mouse" being in fact a trackball having no middle click button, I can only guess that Tom is right on this point.

The action performed through the camera top window is the same as the one performed with the mouse, except that you don't have to hold the right button.

But if you click on that right button, it does what I have already described.

Logitech still has their old Setpoint software that will allow you to customize function. Your trackball controller probably has a pair of smaller buttons that can be customized, including setting one to the "middle button" functions.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Nope, not this one;

HERE

I bought these for three reasons;

1) I had a beginning of tendenitis;
    2) Space on my desk is at a premium and trackball do not move; and
    3) They allow greater precision for graphic design (CAD).

I have two and, once I finally ceased to try to push and pull it around, I was hooked.

This was before getting MSFS 2020. I do have TrackIR 5 but I also bought a "gamer mouse". I just had other things to do but, eventually, I will try my new mouse with a dozen extra buttons.

I forgot about Kensingtons! Does that scroll ring work for zooming in and out or rotating knobs?
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    I forgot about Kensingtons! Does that scroll ring work for zooming in and out or rotating knobs?
    Yep, it does zoom. On a side note; a ball is a much more intuitive system to control the outside view panning. Most ATC room have them.

I will try my gamer mouse this week-end and see how it compares with a trackball.

I had similar and other problems with the free look and it turned out it was because I had been messing with the camera options. I don't know exactly what change I made that was causing my problems but I managed to fix it by going to Options, General, Camera and clicking Reset To Defaults at the bottom left of the screen.

This wont reset ALL your settings to default, just the camera ones.

Hope this helps.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Tried my gamer mouse this weekend. Still undecided about keeping it or returning to trakball.

But I discovered something a bit quirky; the middle-click and the right-click do return the pointer, but they both return to fixed camera too! So, unless someone has an epiphany, using the window to go on freelook leaves that pesky window open. Better use the right button (maintaining it depress) while using the freelook mode.

Members who have read this thread: 0