DFW C.V late production 1917 & 1918
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DFW C.V late production 1917 & 1918

DFW C.V late production 1917 & 1918

Here's the start of the next model I'm working on.

For those who don't recognize it, t's a DFW C.V of the WWI German Air Force. There are no 1917/1918 German recon aircraft models for CFS2 now. The DFW C.V was the most important and by far, the most numerous German recon/light bomber in the last 2 years of the war.

So why am I concentrating on 1918 models? When I started working on the Rickenbacker campaign I announced, I found that several needed planes just weren't available, not even suitable stand-ins. So rather than abandon the campaign, I've embarked on a mission to make the planes myself. OCD, I know. Eventually I will be able to get back to building the campaign.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DFW CV start.jpg  
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    OCD, I know. Eventually I will be able to get back to building the campaign.
    Its your thing...do what you wanna do...we're just happy spectators.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

CK, you won't hear me complain CK! Your beautiful models show up without any problems in FS2004, I only need to to do some tweaking to the flight dynamics.

Cheers,
    Huub

CK, there are some excellent profiles on the Wingnuts Wings website. I admire your courage taking on the exhaust system for the DFW CV. Bravo

Thank you Capt'n

Thank you Capt'n for building such a great plane. Well needed and extremely appreciated. Not that WWI is my favourite era of course....

Graham.

Impressive production rate there CK. I take it there's nothing on the telly then ?

wunderbarer Hauptman
    Our CFS2 skies will be soon fitted with lozenges, super

Good work, Captain My Captain
    Cheers
    Martin

Took most of the day, but the upper wings, the wing rigging, and the landing gear rigging are done, whew! The engine and exhaust system are next on the development list.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rigging.jpg  
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Oups, I had a look at Wingnut Wings website, not any lozenge for this plane, but beautifull camos

Cheers
    Martin

Martin,
    Some beautiful camos indeed, but it is likely that a lot of these had lozenged wings, paricularly the ones allocated to Marine units in 1918.

No lozenge camo for the WingNuts profiles anyway. They show painted surfaces. The Windsock Datafile says that some late war manufactured had lozenge fabric wings, and include one official factory photo. But I haven't yet found any unit level photos that show a lozenge camo wing.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

DFW C.V progress

Kind of quiet here today so I thought I'd post and update on the development progress of the DFW C.V model.

The main model is 99% complete. The small details are done and painted. Next is mapping the textures for the main model so it can be painted. After that, the fuselage interior and VC are to be developed (one and the same thing on this model). Going well so far.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1-21.jpg   121.2.jpg   1-21.3.jpg   1-21.1.jpg  
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Fascinating! I don't think it's possible to appreciate the effort that goes into one of these creations. My hat is off to all of the creative members that make this old sim so vital. Many thanks!

Love the engine details - truly a work of art. I long to see the finished project. THANK YOU for this and all your other wonders.
    Finn

Fantastic work, Captain, I'm impressed by the level of details,
    Good work
    Martin

Fantastic work Kurt. The exhaust system looks just like the real thing and the Parabellum is a work of art.

Beautiful work CK It is great to see a skilled new developer, and I really envy your courage!

Cheers,
    Huub

Kurt, Is the rear gun animated? Your pic shows it with the butt in the stirrup (great detail) so will it move into the firing position, along with the gunner?

probably a silly question.

Kurt, Is the rear gun animated? Your pic shows it with the butt in the stirrup (great detail) so will it move into the firing position, along with the gunner?

probably a silly question.

Sorry, sounds like it would be great, but that would be a bridge too far for my meager modeling skill.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

It is not too much complicate in Gmax, and I suppose it might be quite similar in FSDS, you have only to name the scarf ring gunx, where x is the number you give to the relevant one in the dp file, mount section, and name the MG barrelx the same way.

It works only in AI use, the ennemy (or friend) gun points in your plane direction, the dp file must be well set up for it to work, the only thing I'm not too much sure is if the axle must be set to the world or to the object for the barrel to point well.

As you can see, the result is more or less convincing cause the muzzle flashes start from the original barrel position.

All the best, and good work
    Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gunner.jpg   dangerous_DH4.jpg  

I forgot to precise the barrel must be linked to the gun, so the gunner

Martin

Hi Martin

I'm only beginning to work with FSDS and there is a ton of things I don't know about its capabilities. I don't know if there is a similar function like this. Other than the basic controls, and basic functions like gear retraction, there is no documentation about its animation functions. From poking around the animation name lists, there seems like there would be more than a few different actions. The titles aren't very descriptive and unfortunately nothing is written about what they do, how to activate them or link them together.

It will take some serious dedicated experimentation and lots of time to figure some of it out. Maybe someday.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Since Ravenna was concerned about tail protection with the Parabellum stowed.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1-24.jpg  
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

It looks like it is going to be another great addition to our CFS2 WW I World.
    Thanks for all the hard work.

Regards,
    B24Guy

Members who have read this thread: 0