Waco YMF-5 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Waco YMF-5

Man some of those shots are insane! Makes me want to get it right now.

I heard there was a weird bug with the HDG bug...where as you turn it also turns? Has anyone tried an ILS with this (I know kinda weird) as the HSI appears to support it. I'm curious if like the Seminole, the GS balls don't show up.
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

I wish I knew how to modify the air file/config to get some of this yaw/torque/P-factor over-instability dialed out but they way they have this thing set up (like some other FS2020 models), I can't find or figure out how to accomplish this. It tried to veer left then right and it is highly prone to over-correction from the rudder inputs. Watching that cockpit video, I see there's very little rudder dancing going on and the aircraft is super stable at power. Carenado certainly got this wrong. Otherwise, it flies pretty nicely.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

meantime you can use the tailwheel lock on takeoff and landing and only unlock it to taxi. Keep the tail wheel on the ground as long as possible on TO and always three-point the landing just above stall speed. You only need the rudder for a second or two with this method and it has full authority when you do
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    meantime you can use the tailwheel lock on takeoff and landing and only unlock it to taxi. Keep the tail wheel on the ground as long as possible on TO and always three-point the landing just above stall speed. You only need the rudder for a second or two with this method and it has full authority when you do
    Yeah, it is effective until the tailwheel comes off, then the excessive torque & p-factor becomes an issue (it is way overcooked). I took note that the pilot in that video pushed the elevator full down to get the nose level as quickly as possible, then the Waco flew off with no rotation. He gave only very minor rudder correction and it stayed perfectly centerline. The three point landings though are a breeze.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I suppose - that prop is a tree trunk though so I imagine it would have some effect on pilot serenity at full throttle on the ground
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    I took note that the pilot in that video pushed the elevator full down to get the nose level as quickly as possible, then the Waco flew off with no rotation.
    that is typical for most biplane taildraggers - get the tail flying to get level and smooth the airflow over the wings as quickly as possible, so they can lift the airplane
    enter..the Sandman

I first flew in a Waco in Sept of 1989 at First Flight at Kill Devil Hills, NC. There is almost always a nasty crosswind coming over the field from the Atlantic there. The pilot pushed the nose level almost right after adding near full power, he only adding in a hair of rudder for the wind correction. I remember seeing his inputs on the pedals, very minimal.

What I am seeing on my end with this model is hypersensitivity of the rudder input curve. I have my sensitivity backed off to -95 on each side and am still getting too much from the rudder moments. It's basically a dance to correct the moments to one direction yet the opposite input (slight) causes a very progressive yaw to the opposite side which is difficult if not impossible to dampen out without a hard opposite kick. If FS2020 had controller fine tuning like DCS for each aircraft model, users would easily be able to tame an issue like this based on their hardware. All of the other tail draggers in FS2020 behave very well in this regard.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

still a few odds and ends to sort (what's happened to the tailwheel??), but I'm making progress..

jk0675

jk0671
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    That's a beauty! WOW!
    Second that.

the textures are roughly the same as the FSX version, but of course a few things changed, like the tailwheel and the canopy. Still, looking good I think. Now I need to get rid of the automatic registrations, so annoying, but no luck so far. I thought I had them with the panel.cfg, but no..
    jk0709

jk0707

jk0693
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

The rudder responses in MSFS are governed by the flightmodel.cfg entry that handles "elasticity", tinkering with that can ease the rudder handling as it governs the control surface response to increasing air pressure with velocity. It's not meant to be used that way but it does help things.

The flight model in MSFS leaves very little room for adjustments against airspeed - the rudder is effectively "on" or "off" pretty much, which is why all aircraft are so twitchy on take off and in flight. I'm hoping that will change soon.

Regarding a Stearman, all I can say is "watch this space"...
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    Watching!!!

Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    Did someone call me? (pun intended, sorry)

Seriously speaking... which space? Carenado's? This forum?

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    the textures are roughly the same as the FSX version, but of course a few things changed, like the tailwheel and the canopy. Still, looking good I think. Now I need to get rid of the automatic registrations, so annoying, but no luck so far. I thought I had them with the panel.cfg, but no..
    Try putting a _ where the ID would go (that's an underscore). I think then it will not put one in.
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbatc View Post
    Try putting a _ where the ID would go (that's an underscore). I think then it will not put one in.
    no, it then refers to the default registration. I tried a space as well, no luck.. I now have a period, but it's still annoying. I can't (yet) change the font size either, otherwise I would make it minute..
    Why does this have to be so complex?
    Look, I now have a black square on the wings and rudder, the period.

jk0721

jk0718

jk0713

I also notice some new things on the cowling..

aaah, small victory!
    There was annoying quasi waco logo on the tail:
    jk0741

but I found where it was hiding, and look, gone!
    jk0749
    but hang on, what's with the windscreen?

jk0748
    and where are those pesky clasps on the cowling hiding?

jk0743

the dot on the wings stays I fear, but if you bury the stick in your belly on takeoff it stays reasonably controllable, and you make nice three point takeoffs I find.

To be continued

I just uploaded these four paints:
    jk0776 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk0753 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk0748 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

jk0707 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

nice Jankee, I like the US Mail one

Can't find you liveries, Jankee

Quote Originally Posted by firerx View Post
    nice Jankee, I like the US Mail one

Can't find you liveries, Jankee
    firer,

you can wait until they are approved here in the library, or go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    firer,

you can wait until they are approved here in the library, or go to flightsim.to
    Thank Jankees

variations on a theme:
    jk0819

jk0805

jk0829

jk0791

loving these paints, JanKees - thank you!

I have noticed two small items on each that you probably are already aware of
    When the prop is spinning - on the prop center of both paints the center section of the Observer paint is two tone red over white when viewed at an angle from the front quarter (not shown here) - and the prop center on the the Alaskan is overall white when viewed from the same angle.
    Also on the Alaskan the black portion of the leading edge of the upper starboard wing is missing on the underside.
    For clarity - these paints were collected from Flightsim.to just this morning

however - when viewed from the side in profile angle the proper wood grain color is visible even though as you see, there is white showing on either side of the prop center..

I want to express the highest regard for your work over the years that I have been a flight simmer - I have always considered your paints to be at the top of the list when it comes down to it.
    thank you again for enhancing the experience now in MSFS too !

enter..the Sandman

Mmmmh, it may have been a bit too fast on the Alaskan one then.
    As for the props, I'm not sure what happens there. I have a busy week ahead, but hopefully next weekend I can find time to look at it, please be patient?

of course, no worries at all! the post was only meant to inform -

thank you for taking the time to reply Jan
    enter..the Sandman

Members who have read this thread: 2