Waco YMF-5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waco YMF-5

Waco YMF-5

Looks like Carenado snuck one in on us - or at least me. I haven't heard anything about this release, and it isn't even on their website. The screenshots in the Marketplace look sweet, and at only half the price of the rest of their stuff, I might just be persuaded to get this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2021.01.14 - 22.28.22.03.jpg  
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

thanks for the HU - had to have it in this sim because it was one of my regulars in FSX. WOW does it look good in MSFS
    It also helps to be on the inside track for Carenado as all systems appear to function properly - including elevator trim.
    Seems the soundtrack is also improved over previous FSX release - just throttle back to around 30% as you descend to pattern altitude and listen to that heavy wooden prop saw through the air...

enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Picked it it and love it. A bargain for the price! I was going to comment on the sound too; really nice radial sound. Flies great too!

Now that's what I'm talkin about!! Will be buying for sure.

August

Blog Entries
    This should make a great sight-seeing ride. I had it in P3D V4. Never could get the textures to work in V5, however. A bit of open cockpit luxury.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cawaco3.jpg  

Anyone else finding it a bit squirrely on the rudder pedals during takeoff? Wasn't really having a lot of trouble the first time I flew her, but went up again in VR and ended up off the runway a few times.

There is a tailwheel lock just above the trimwheel. The clickspot is only for the trimwheel so you have to use the keyboard command or map it to your JS
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    There is a tailwheel lock just above the trimwheel. The clickspot is only for the trimwheel so you have to use the keyboard command or map it to your JS
    Oh, awesome! I'll try that next time I fly. Thank you!

The lock lever is there but it is not animated - however the tailwheel DOES lock.
    ’shift-G’ is the default KB command but the only way to tell if the tailwheel is locked or free is by taxiing.
    enter..the Sandman

The lock lever is there but it is not animated - however the tailwheel DOES lock.
    ’shift-G’ is the default KB command but the only way to tell if the tailwheel is locked or free is by taxiing.
    I have NOT squawked Carenado on this error yet but somebody should I guess
    enter..the Sandman

Have no doubts, this is a masterpiece, tricky on that tailweel lock. but attention to detail is really super. Sounds too, are superb, listen to that star/stop engines sequence...really one of the best I´ve ever bought. Wish all future offers have a similar quality and price. Congratulations Carenado...

If only Carenado could be convinced to produce a PT-17/N2S Stearman.

Beautiful! Read some take off issues elsewhere. Do you have these?

Yes, swinging and swaying all over the place like a drunken duck but Take-Off tip from Avsim flyer will help:

No wind!

1. Tail wheel locked (assign key for it there is no click spot in waco)

2. Controls all way aft (to your belly)

3. Gradually apply power, slowly dance on rudder

4. At around 50 mph eas up stick to neutral (at this speed rudder become more or less efficient), gently apply rudder to compensate gyroscopic precession and tail lift.

5. As tail lift slowly bring stick aft and you are airborne!

May also help to set trim nose-up all the way. ( then stick neutral)

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    If only Carenado could be convinced to produce a PT-17/N2S Stearman.

Great shots, John !

Agreed on the Carenado Stearman.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Yes, swinging and swaying all over the place like a drunken duck but Take-Off tip from Avsim flyer will help:

No wind!

1. Tail wheel locked (assign key for it there is no click spot in waco)

2. Controls all way aft (to your belly)

3. Gradually apply power, slowly dance on rudder

4. At around 50 mph eas up stick to neutral (at this speed rudder become more or less efficient), gently apply rudder to compensate gyroscopic precession and tail lift.

5. As tail lift slowly bring stick aft and you are airborne!

May also help to set trim nose-up all the way. ( then stick neutral)
    Thanks Javis, helps a lot. If this is like it was in real life take offs will be very dangerous. Crashed a lot of times but getting the hand of it. Anyway think this swinging and swaying is too much. And after several go arounds never sure about tail wheel lock or not. Brakes are too sensitive. Even almost stopped you'll flip over... but is a beauty.

Blog Entries
    GAS is supposedly bringing their Stearmans to MSFS. My preference will be to wait for GAS over Carenado. I consider Carenado in it for the money, and GAS for the art. Just my opinion.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    Thanks Javis, helps a lot. If this is like it was in real life take offs will be very dangerous.
    Here's a real life take-off filmed from within the aircraft. No swinging nore swaying what soever :

https://youtu.be/mw7qX28jZjc?t=229

( presenting those ladies a helmet before flight would've been a nice gesture... ;-)

Tail wheel lock made the difference between crashing into the trees beside the runway or getting successfully into the air, but yeah, still a lot of swinging and swaying even with my rudder pedals adjusted way down in sensitivity. Needs some work in ground handling; hopefully enough people will report the issue to support that they'll address that in an update.

Still, once you get it into the air, it's awesome, and it's a little less deadly on landing.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails waco-ranger creek.jpg   waco-baker.jpg  

the book indicates a shallow final approach at 80kts indicated or less..so far this is the only plane I land with the tailwheel locked (which means you have to really focus on alignment just before touchdown) , landing just at stall speed in 3 point attitude - immediate back pressure on the stick to hold that tailwheel down
    and until the rollout speed drops below 40kts then brake to taxi speed and release the tailwheel. If you brake too soon or too hard the tail comes up and you're back in the rodeo and off in the cornfield before you know it.

spent the day doing TnG's - its like carrier ops in DCS..you have to work at a method until all the thinking about it is gone.

is it accurate to the real world Waco? dunno - but I like the challenge of it the way it is.
    enter..the Sandman

I tried a repaint, but I'm not sure it is at all possible...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Here's a real life take-off filmed from within the aircraft. No swinging nore swaying what soever :

https://youtu.be/mw7qX28jZjc?t=229

( presenting those ladies a helmet before flight would've been a nice gesture... ;-)
    Indeed. Carenado, there's something to correct...
    Pilot with no helmet as well and one of the ladies just loved to see the views in her smartphone...

Members who have read this thread: 2