Waco YMF-5 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Waco YMF-5

Jan, these are all wonderful. Your work is greatly appreciated!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Yes, swinging and swaying all over the place like a drunken duck but Take-Off tip from Avsim flyer will help:

No wind!

1. Tail wheel locked (assign key for it there is no click spot in waco)

Tailwheel lock seems to work for me.

Lever to the left of the pilot's seat - pull it back to lock forward to unlock. No tooltip on it though.

They've released an update for it today.
    You'll need to go to the content manager to download it.

Patch notes

Version 1.1.0 Released January 19, 2021

WYMF-5 FS2020 version 1.1

January 19, 2021

-Improved ground handling by reducing torque effect.
    -Recalibrated fuel consumption gauge.
    -Recalibrated EGT and CHT needles.
    -Fixed tail wheel lock.
    -Fixed oil temp gauge.
    -Fixed HDG bug.
    -Fixed pilot head animation.
    -Fixed flickering of windows in external view.
    -Fixed compass interior lighting for easier read.
    -Fixed DME's speed calibration.
    -minor bug fixes.

I'm guessing the date discrepancy is that's the date they submitted it to Microsoft and it only got added today.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    They've released an update for it today.
    You'll need to go to the content manager to download it.

Patch notes

Version 1.1.0 Released January 19, 2021

WYMF-5 FS2020 version 1.1

January 19, 2021

-Improved ground handling by reducing torque effect.
    -Recalibrated fuel consumption gauge.
    -Recalibrated EGT and CHT needles.
    -Fixed tail wheel lock.
    -Fixed oil temp gauge.
    -Fixed HDG bug.
    -Fixed pilot head animation.
    -Fixed flickering of windows in external view.
    -Fixed compass interior lighting for easier read.
    -Fixed DME's speed calibration.
    -minor bug fixes.

I'm guessing the date discrepancy is that's the date they submitted it to Microsoft and it only got added today.
    Thanks for the heads up

It's definitely better than it was but still need a lot of rudder on takeoff to keep it straight.

Although the tail wheel lock is animated and works it doesn't respond to the the default keyboard shortcut (Shift+G) or assigning it through FSUIPC so you have to use the mouse to set it.
    I didn't try setting my controller directly in the sim as I prefer to use FSUIPC if possible but I assume as the keyboard doesn't work neither would that.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

It's definitely better than it was but still need a lot of rudder on takeoff to keep it straight.

Although the tail wheel lock is animated and works it doesn't respond to the the default keyboard shortcut (Shift+G) or assigning it through FSUIPC so you have to use the mouse to set it.
    I didn't try setting my controller directly in the sim as I prefer to use FSUIPC if possible but I assume as the keyboard doesn't work neither would that.

yeah Same happened with me. but much easyer to control on take offs and landings now

I found that the KB command (that I reprogrammed to my Thrustmaster JS) actually still does lock / unlock the tail wheel - but there is no animation of the lock lever when you use it.
    The tail wheel lock lever is animated but only with a mouse click, and manipulating it does lock / unlock the tail wheel.
    Maybe in the next patch they will tie the animation of the lock lever to the KB/JS button press? Not a deal breaker if they don't - it would just clean things up
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by firerx View Post
    yeah Same happened with me. but much easyer to control on take offs and landings now
    I found Carenado's rudder effect correction to be almost nil - probably because it is unchanged. The torque effect being reduced just for the sake of controllability concerns me from a point of accuracy in aerodynamic modeling.
    If the torque on that spinning prop was accurate, but the way MSFS modeled their rudder axis / yaw moment is flawed then it's a workaround - not a correction.

I still use the tail wheel lock on TO and landings and feed in about20% right rudder to counter the 40kts indicated left departure on the take off roll. at least now when the tailwheel comes up you can almost hold the centerline.

It's better - but I think this problem belongs in MSFS's lap - not Carenado's.

MSFS has modeled the rudder effect strangely.
    Rudder deflection ANIMATION is proportional and accurate - but the effect that the rudder deflection has on yaw axis is the problem. You have almost no effect on yaw up to a point (around 35% of your rudder input)- it's as if you only had a pie plate hinged to the vertical fin back there...
    but move that rudder just 1% more and the effect is as if suddenly you have a big ol' rudder on the back of your plane and it is fully deflected.
    Then when you go to correct the sudden yaw with counter input - same thing - you have almost no counter effect until suddenly - you do. And then its a goldarn rodeo
    Last edited by heywooood; January 27th, 2021 at 18:17.
    enter..the Sandman

I don’t have MSFS yet so can someone tell me what the gauge format and panel config structure is for this model?

I am asking because the P3D version of this aircraft shared an identical fuel flow gauge and radio DME gauge with Alabeo’s Cessna 172RG Cutlass, and in the P3D world, these gauges were not compatible with P3D version 4+ due to the 64-bit architecture. Alabeo also claimed that it was not possible for them to update the gauges to make them compatible with P3Dv4.

If the gauges for this addon are in XML or DLL format, and compiled for a 64-bit architecture, I could potentially purchase this model to scavenge the gauges so I have working instruments in the P3D versions of both this Waco and the 172RG.

Reference: https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5...-dll-in-p3dv4/

Thanks for any input people can provide.

The gauges appear to be built directly into the model, no separate gauge files unfortunately.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

The gauges appear to be built directly into the model, no separate gauge files unfortunately.
    thank you. My understanding is that there is no panel cfg or gauge directory like in the old sims? How different.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTK View Post
    thank you. My understanding is that there is no panel cfg or gauge directory like in the old sims? How different.
    There is a panel.cfg (and panel.xml) and gauge directories and gauges. They are quite different, being HTML based natively. But they definitely won't work in P3D in any version. They are 3D model based built into the aircraft model and run with HTML/CSS/JS code as well as WASM I believe.

Waco YMF-5 flying

I needed some rudder but this aircraft is a lot of fun to fly. It is rapidly becoming a favorite. I have never flown a Waco but I have flown in real life some taildraggers and I always needed some rudder.

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    I found that the KB command (that I reprogrammed to my Thrustmaster JS) actually still does lock / unlock the tail wheel - but there is no animation of the lock lever when you use it.
    The tail wheel lock lever is animated but only with a mouse click, and manipulating it does lock / unlock the tail wheel.
    Maybe in the next patch they will tie the animation of the lock lever to the KB/JS button press? Not a deal breaker if they don't - it would just clean things up
    Hi
    Updated but unable to find tail wheel lock lever...much less any kind of animation. Find a lever near/above a black wheel related to pitch trim left cockpit side. Every time I try to use that lever pitch trim works. Please help.
    Thanks

I can post a picture in a few minutes maybe - but the tailwheel lock lever has no 'tool tip'
    just hover the mouse pointer over the center of the lock lever - not the knob, but where the cable attaches to it - at that point you can left click to grab it and pull it back to lock the TW
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by Radioman123 View Post
    I needed some rudder but this aircraft is a lot of fun to fly. It is rapidly becoming a favorite. I have never flown a Waco but I have flown in real life some taildraggers and I always needed some rudder.
    The problem here though (and I believe 100% it is an ASOBO MSFS issue) is that you should need LEFT rudder to counter the airplane wanting to drift RIGHT based on P factor and torque. But the tail draggers all want to veer hard LEFT at 40kts indicated.
    Then when you want to correct that sudden move with right rudder - the faulty rudder modeling is exposed and you get a sudden right rudder effect with only 1/2 of your rudder input applied. Meaning that the first 1-50% of your deflection does almost nothing (depending on your JS calibration effort) but the next 1% of your input results in the aircraft behaving as if suddenly FULL right rudder is being applied. When looking at the rudder animation it looks correct and proportional to your JS inputs - but what the airplane DOES is not.

only a crosswind of some degree of gustiness would cause this odd behavior - but that isn't what we see with this consistency at all. You can set zero winds and this odd left turn will still occur every time at 40kts
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    I can post a picture in a few minutes maybe - but the tailwheel lock lever has no 'tool tip'
    just hover the mouse pointer over the center of the lock lever - not the knob, but where the cable attaches to it - at that point you can left click to grab it and pull it back to lock the TW
    Thanks. If you mean this lever I have to send the bird to maintenance. Nothing happens and I tried all surrounding area. Only pitch trim...unable to get tailweel lock.
    Regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Microsoft Flight Simulator Screenshot 2021.01.30 - 16.22.18.51.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    Thanks. If you mean this lever I have to send the bird to maintenance. Nothing happens and I tried all surrounding area. Only pitch trim...unable to get tailweel lock.
    Regards
    yeah -that is the correct lever and click spot. and you have the updated file from Carenado installed?
    you might need to reinstall - I would delete the Carenado YMF-5 aircraft folder and reinstall the Waco. There can be no other reason for it not to work.
    Check with ASOBO MSFS for the correct process to delete an aircraft folder first
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by Beaufighter View Post
    Regards

If it's not working, it sounds like you haven't updated to the latest rev. Go to your content menu and On the left, you'll see a menu with a choice "Updated" or something like that. Select it and update your install.

If you bought it through the Marketplace, check to see if there is anything showing under the "Update Available" section. Even though it comes through the MP, updates don't get pushed. I try to remember to check there once a week to see if any of my other packages have updates.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Gentlemen, thanks a lot...some itens to update, scenery and plane in "Content Manager". Plane is now ok. Always learning...
    Be safe

Forgot to mention in previous post.
    Read in SOH a post about the update, thought it will be automatic as sim updates, checked in Market Place/Owned/installed and there she was with an UPDATED tag. Assumed it was...it was not, that note is misleading. Going to update everything else.
    Again, thank you

I agree - it is confusing initially
    enter..the Sandman

Waco YMF-5

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Looks like Carenado snuck one in on us - or at least me. I haven't heard anything about this release, and it isn't even on their website. The screenshots in the Marketplace look sweet, and at only half the price of the rest of their stuff, I might just be persuaded to get this one.
    Did you ever get one, Tom?

After watching a few YouTube reviews about the Waco, I decided to fork over some $ to Carenado.

It's the only add-on anything that I have paid for, so far. Really looking forward to a C-47/DC-3 release some day.

At any rate, I was afraid that on any day Carenado might up the price on this little bargain basement priced bad-boy.

After several days in that wonderful open-air cockpit, I can tell you that I do NOT regret it.

A real-steal, IMHO!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    If you bought it through the Marketplace, check to see if there is anything showing under the "Update Available" section. Even though it comes through the MP, updates don't get pushed. I try to remember to check there once a week to see if any of my other packages have updates.

Good advice! I try to do the same thing about once a week.

The ASOBO/MS team as well as the present flock of 3rd party developers are a pretty aggressive bunch and seem to be pushing out updates quite frequently!

Gotta stay up to date!

Members who have read this thread: 2