Sound Problem

Thread: Sound Problem

Library Staff

Sound Problem

Hi Folks,

I was in free flight a few days ago when the sound volume suddenly reduced by a large degree.

Turning the volume up didn't really cure the problem. For example, if I got the engine at the right level the guns were too loud.

I have an identical backup copy of CFS2 on another hard drive. The sound levels are normal there. The cfs2.cfg is identical.

If I play CFS2 sounds on each hard drive without staring the sim, there is no difference in the levels.

Any idea what may be causing the problem? A gauge perhaps?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Kevin,

Are you getting this with only one particular model or any model in the problem CFS2 install? If its only one model, you should try replacing the contents of its sound folder with something similar. If its any model you fly, delete the main CFS2\SOUND folder and replace it with the main CFS2\SOUND folder from another install.

But first, be absolutely sure to back up the contents of the RADIO, ACTION and VO folders from the 'to-be-deleted' SOUND folder in order to preserve these important files and swap them back into the affected install to maintain the proper nationality comms and movie play.

This could potentially be a data fragmentation problem. Over time, high hard disk activity, memory cache usage, etc. can cause excessive fragmentation of sound and texture files in the sim that leads to permanent corruption because the operating system and the sim program just can't locate and connect all of the scattered bits. If you haven't done it lately, you might also try running a defrag utility on the drive.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Library Staff
    Hi Bearcat,

Thanks for the reply. I'm getting this problem with the entire CFS2 install, including all theatres of war. I use only one CFS2 engine and use batch files to activate aircraft, missions, textures, etc for each theatre.

I'll try everything you've suggested and get back to you.

Cheers,
    Kevin

Members who have read this thread: 1