MAW - Green Water

Thread: MAW - Green Water

Members +
    United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

MAW - Green Water

Hi All,

I'm using CFS3 with MAW, Ankhors Shaders and the New Environment MAW Package. When flying over water the textures appear green, rather than the expected blue (see attached screenshots taken off the coast of Malta).
    Does anyone know what the issue could be? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    Garbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shot01-12-21-16-03-37.jpg   Shot01-12-21-16-03-31.jpg  

Members +
    Here are 2 more screenshots which better depict the issue of green water. The water in the Mediterranean shouldn't be this colour!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shot01-12-21-19-09-25.jpg   Shot01-12-21-19-09-30.jpg  

It looks like the opacity level is set too low.

In the Shaders30 folder the seawater.fx file starts with a text section that looks like:

#define BaseOpacity 0.99
    #define WaveBump 5.0
    #define WaveScale 5.0
    #define FoamAmount 0.32
    #define AddFoam

Manually setting the Base Opacity to a somewhat lower value than this (0.50) will let you see the textures on the bottom of the sea rather than the color of the water animation textures.

This is not something that gets accidentally changed, so perhaps something else is amiss with your set up.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Members +
    Hi MajorMagee,

When I took a look at my seawater.fx file the BaseOpacity was set to 0.99 already, and changing the value to anything else appeared to do nothing. After attempting that, I tried removing the shaders to see if they were the cause of the problem, only to find my water was still green (see attached screenshot). Any ideas as to what it could be?

Thanks,
    Garbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shot01-13-21-15-45-45.jpg  

I tried a few things last night like changing the alpha layer in the cfs3h2o.dds file, and various water related settings in the ConfigOverrides.xml, and could not reproduce the effect. I know this has come up for some people in the past, but I don't recall what it took to resolve it.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Members +
    Hi,

A few weeks (and a lot of tinkering with CFS3 files) later, and I'm still unable to fix the issue.
    The issue occurs only in MAW and PTO, with ETO water working completely fine. I saw the post you bumped, and tried doing all sorts of modifications to the configoverrides.xml file, including replacing it with the one from my ETO installation.
    If anyone has any other ideas or has managed to reproduce the effect, please post here!

Thanks,
    Garbs

SOH-CM-2020
    Hi Garbs, are you in the MAW 1943 version or the original MAW? I only ask because of the fine Spitfire you are sporting. Have you added Gecko's cfsh2os file?

Members +
    Hi Daiwilletti,

I'm using the original MAW, with some of the aircraft from 1943 added.
    By "gecko's cfsh2o" files do you mean the ones included with the shaders, or the separate improved ones designed for ETO. Well, as a matter of fact- I've tried all with no results.
    The screenshot with the Beaufighter was taken with the water files that came with MAW, and without any shaders.

No, not the water animation file that come with the shaders. Cfsh20.dds looks like the outline of the ocean / continent, and controls the color of the water. It should be in the effects/fxtextures folder.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I would recommend removing my New Environment package and restoring any files it replaced with the stock version, or one from Ankor's shaders if applicable. My new environment was done before Ankor's shaders and certain aspects of it may not be compatible. Also, I'm not sure if you are or not, but don't use my New Water colors mod in MAW either, as the file is location specific and will give strange results if used on any other map besides Europe.

Members +
    Hello,
    Thanks for both of your replies. I'll try and reset all of the effects from the package, and if that doesn't work I may just have to reinstall MAW. I restored the default water files before taking the screenshot with the Beaufighter.
    Gecko- I did not try using your improved water colours, I was just confused by what "gecko's cfsh20.dds" referred to, although I am aware what the actual water files are.
    Thanks

Members +
    Hi everyone,
    So I reinstalled MAW without the new environment package, and the water colours were a normal, lovely shade of blue!
    It seems that the problem could have been caused by the package, so I'll try reinstalling PTO without the package too. Attached are 2 screenshots showing the water working, one with and one without shaders.
    Thanks everyone for your input!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shot02-05-21-10-33-46.jpg   Shot02-05-21-10-49-49.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0