10 Januari 1940 the Mechelen incident

Thread: 10 Januari 1940 the Mechelen incident

10 Januari 1940 the Mechelen incident

Around 10 AM two German majors from the Luftwaffe climbed in a Bf108 Taifun. The pilot was the fifty-two-year-old base commander of Loddenheide airfield, near Münster. He had offered to bring his two year younger colleague a major from the Fallschirmjaeger (Airborne troops) to Köln, as the pilot wanted to visit his wife. The pilot didn't know what information his passenger was carrying, otherwise he might had reconsidered his offer. The sun was shining over the snow covered field and there were no signs that this flight, from less than an hour, would end in the history books.

Most likely one of my most boring repaints, but the story behind it could be the start from a book by John de Carré or a James Bond movie.............

I have based my repaint on the pictures I was able to find. Most sources state that there are only 3 pictures. So these are most probably all.

Based on the pictures I think the aircraft model was painted "RLM63 Hellgrau" (light gray) overall. As the model still had the large "Messerschmitt Taifun" logos on both side of the fuselage, I don't think it was painted in an camouflage scheme. The real aircraft obviously had the usual registration at the bottom of the wings, but due to the limitation of the model and texture alay-out this can't be done.

For those who read will read the story behind the incident and wonder why nobody did anything with the information given by the Belgians. You must see this in the light from an incident which took place 2 months earlier. The Venlo incident where the German "Sicherheitsdienst" created a trap for the British Secret Service. But here were no aircraft involved, so when you are curious just Google.....

Cheers,
    Huub

Looks Good Huub!
    Greenhouse357

Thanks Bob. Although its age, the model is still really nice. The texture lay-out however makes it hardly possible to do repaints. The top and bottom of the wings use the same texture, it is the same for the stabilisers. And the tip of the tail shares the texture with then bottom of the cowling. There is also a strange distortion in the wings, as some parts repeat in the ailerons and flaps.

When Günter Krämer made the model he clearly had the Lufthansa D-EIBI in his mind and didn't really consider future repaints.

But as it is the only Bf108 Taifun around for FS2004, it is definitely worth a try.....

Cheers,
    Huub

Thank you Huub for posting this story, one which has 'gone under the radar', for me at least, until now. Do love a good tale, however big or small!

I shall be looking it up on the net.

Many thanks again, Graham.

Gosh Huub, what a story! A huge 'whatif' event.

Thanks again for posting.

Graham.

It is at Flightsim.com but they omitted the UMLAUT in his name so search for Guenter Kraemer to find the 108 in question.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

SOH-CM-2023
    Is this repaint available yet? Its a beauty to look at.

Sean

Hi Sean,

the repaint is available now: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...helen-incident

enjoy,
    Huub

SOH-CM-2023
    Thanks Huub! Looking forward to flying this plane!

Sean

Members who have read this thread: 1