Texture glitch with Rob Richardson F9F-8T?

Thread: Texture glitch with Rob Richardson F9F-8T?

Texture glitch with Rob Richardson F9F-8T?

Hey all,

Recently downloaded and installed some repaints for the wonderful F9F-8T by Rob Richardson and after I installed them, they appear on the aircraft fine in the menu, but glitch out once I start the flight, see screenshots below. The repaint files are here in the library. What is going on? and how do I fix it?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   error4.jpg  

OK, that's weird. Normally I would say this is a case of the skin textures being in the wrong folder but I can't understand why it shows OK in the selection screen but then goes black when you fly. Post the zip file names of the problem paints and I'll see if the problem appears on my sim.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    OK, that's weird. Normally I would say this is a case of the skin textures being in the wrong folder but I can't understand why it shows OK in the selection screen but then goes black when you fly. Post the zip file names of the problem paints and I'll see if the problem appears on my sim.
    Thanks, here's the zip: CD_Cougar_Two-Seat_VT-26_FSX.zip. I went looking through the textures in the folder and found one that did not match with the stock paint on the jet. I removed it and now it seems to be working. The texture file was called eject seat.

That's one of my repaints. Never had this?

Cees

I downloaded Cees's VT-26 texture and it worked fine for me without having to remove the ejection seat file. Does your flight crew have yellow helmets? The ejection seat file is also in the "common" texture folder (with yellow helmets) and the sim will default to it if you've deleted the file from the VT-26 folder. Glad you got it working but still puzzled as to the cause.

Flying wing on an SR-71 will do that...it's called re-entry burn! lol

Quote Originally Posted by p14u2nv View Post
    Flying wing on an SR-71 will do that...it's called re-entry burn! lol
    Ow, it burns!!!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    I downloaded Cees's VT-26 texture and it worked fine for me without having to remove the ejection seat file. Does your flight crew have yellow helmets? The ejection seat file is also in the "common" texture folder (with yellow helmets) and the sim will default to it if you've deleted the file from the VT-26 folder. Glad you got it working but still puzzled as to the cause.
    My crew has a yellow and a blue helmet. And I cannot get it to work. I got the VT-25 one working just fine, but no luck with the VT-26. Any guesses?
    System Specs:
    Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    3.5 Ghz AMD 6300 processor
    2 Gb VRAM Nvidia 750TI
    8 Gb Ram DDR3
    1 TB hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by goshawk45 View Post
    My crew has a yellow and a blue helmet. And I cannot get it to work. I got the VT-25 one working just fine, but no luck with the VT-26. Any guesses?
    My video card had some issues with the textures. I resized Cougar fuselage.dds and Cougar Wings.dds with DXTBmp, and had no problems since.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Are any of your texture folders using a texture.cfg scheme? Apparently they must (there is a Texture.common folder). Perhaps a bad texture.cfg file with a bad fallback reference?

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    My video card had some issues with the textures. I resized Cougar fuselage.dds and Cougar Wings.dds with DXTBmp, and had no problems since.
    What did you resize them too? Here are some more shots. If I zoom in, the black goes away, when I zoom out it comes back.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 111.jpg   222.jpg  
    System Specs:
    Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    2 Gb VRAM Nvidia 750TI
    8 Gb Ram DDR3
    1 TB hard drive

[QUOTE=Mike71;1249008]Are any of your texture folders using a texture.cfg scheme? Apparently they must (there is a Texture.common folder). Perhaps a bad texture.cfg file with a bad fallback reference?[/QUOTE

Thanks Mike, both fallbacks look the same. Is there suppose to be a texture cfg in the common folder?
    System Specs:
    Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    2 Gb VRAM Nvidia 750TI
    8 Gb Ram DDR3
    1 TB hard drive

Quote Originally Posted by goshawk45 View Post
    What did you resize them too? Here are some more shots. If I zoom in, the black goes away, when I zoom out it comes back.
    Open the file with DXTBmp, the do a "Save as" a DDS texture. I can't remember the exact process I followed, but I noticed that the file size increased slightly and it solved the issue with my video card. As I mentioned, if you save the original files or folder you can always restore the two files.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Open the file with DXTBmp, the do a "Save as" a DDS texture. I can't remember the exact process I followed, but I noticed that the file size increased slightly and it solved the issue with my video card. As I mentioned, if you save the original files or folder you can always restore the two files.
    Thanks, but now it is working. I just redownloaded it from the library, and it appears that I had the first version (maybe even beta) of it. The one I downloaded from here works with those paints and even has a blue angel paint that my previous version did not have.
    System Specs:
    Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    2 Gb VRAM Nvidia 750TI
    8 Gb Ram DDR3
    1 TB hard drive

[QUOTE=------ Is there suppose to be a texture cfg in the common folder?[/QUOTE]Glad you figured it out.

No. That would be the same as falling back, or referencing to itself. Texture.cfgs are like aliasing a panel in another plane. It is a way of putting files used by every paint scheme in one place and avoiding duplication. You can actually change one of these files (pilots and the VC are typical) but you have to copy it into the specific texture folder where you want the change to take effect. That overrides the fallback to that specific bmp or dds referenced in the texture.cfg file.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    Glad you figured it out.

No. That would be the same as falling back, or referencing to itself. Texture.cfgs are like aliasing a panel in another plane. It is a way of putting files used by every paint scheme in one place and avoiding duplication. You can actually change one of these files (pilots and the VC are typical) but you have to copy it into the specific texture folder where you want the change to take effect. That overrides the fallback to that specific bmp or dds referenced in the texture.cfg file.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    System Specs:
    Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    2 Gb VRAM Nvidia 750TI
    8 Gb Ram DDR3
    1 TB hard drive

**update**

Figured something out. When I load the jet on my new NAS Chase Field Scenery, it is black. When I load it on any other airport the paint shows up normally. Did I do something wrong with the Chase Field scenery?
    System Specs:
    Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    2 Gb VRAM Nvidia 750TI
    8 Gb Ram DDR3
    1 TB hard drive

Members who have read this thread: 0