Gross stupidity.

Thread: Gross stupidity.

Gross stupidity.

"Formula 1 champion Lewis Hamilton has been knighted in a New Year Honours list which salutes hundreds of people for their work in the Covid pandemic.

Hamilton, who took his seventh title in November, is on the list with actress Sheila Hancock, who is made a dame.
    Ex-footballer Jimmy Greaves and musician Craig David become MBEs.
    But it is the response to coronavirus which dominates, and an MBE for charity volunteer Anne Baker, 106, makes her the oldest ever recipient of an honour.
    Mrs Baker, from Salisbury, who has been involved with fundraising for the NSPCC since the 1950s, said it was a "great surprise and great honour" to be recognised.
    Ruth Saunders, aged 104, becomes an MBE for services to charity during Covid after walking a marathon to raise money for Thames Valley Air Ambulance this year.

The same honour goes to airline pilot Emma Henderson, from Moray, who set up a first class lounge experience in more than 80 hospitals across the UK for NHS staff.
    There is an MBE for Mark Owen, from Clwyd, after he re-joined North Wales Police to support volunteer officers with tasks including delivering prescriptions and food parcels, and a British Empire Medal (BEM) for Catherine Fitzsimmons from Greater Manchester, a former palliative care nurse who came out of retirement.

There is a BEM too for Carl Konadu, 28, who helped young people in London prepare for job applications during the pandemic through 2-3 Degrees, a not-for-profit group he co-founded.
    The recognition for hundreds of people involved in the Covid response continues the trend set in the delayed Birthday Honours in October."

Previous recipients of type of 'Honour' include (in no special order) Frank Williams, Jackie Stewart, Stirling Moss and Jack Brabham, to name a few that come to mind.
    Generally speaking the reasoning behind the award read something along the lines 'of outstanding achievement for British motoring industry' or similar.
    In this case what Muppet came up with 'Sir Lewis Hamilton' as a deserving 'Knight'.

1-He doesn't reside in 'Britain'.
    2-He drives for a German Company that has most of its vehicles built in the US (or worse).
    3-His net worth is probably higher than the British GDP.
    4-His sole motivation for driving in an elitist form of 'Motorsport' is money.
    5-Compared to the unsung and underpaid front line medical and supporting personnel attempting to stem the tide of COVID 19 he just doesn't deserve it.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

The people who are knighted can't be blamed as they have to be nominated. So there must be some people who really think he deserved it........
    After that there is even a committee which has assessed the nomination.....

It's the same with the huge amount of money some F1 drivers get. You can't blame them for accepting it. But you could wonder why it is offered to them in the first place.

I understand Daimler had a bright moment and refused to pay Lewis Hamilton the salary he thinks he deserves. George Russell already proved that the car is at least half of Lewis Hamilton's talent.

Cheers,
    Huub

Best guess is F1 contributes £6bn to £8bn to the UK economy and employes directly or indirectly 40,000 people. I think that recognising success for that is worth it. It doesn't matter where he lives (plenty of actors live in the US but it doesn't stop them accepting gongs) or why he does it (though I suspect he'd be a racer whatever he was paid) but the contribution his success makes to the UK: he's bveen worth it for cheering up thousands of us in a miserable lock down on Sundays throughout the year.

Hi John,

Most current F-1 teams are located in the UK, some out of tradition, but mainly because they have been developed from originally British teams, which perhaps also had something to do with the availability of former WWII airfields (plenty of test and race space). I don't think this was an effort from Lewis Hamilton, nor do I think he contributed anything to these fact. When my memory is correct even Ferrari F1 was based in England in the period when John Barnard was with them, although officially they stayed in Maranello of course.

Perhaps you are right and is his main contribution he made (some) people cheers during an odd year.

Cheers,
    Huub

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    When my memory is correct even Ferrari F1 was based in England in the period when John Barnard was with them, although officially they stayed in Maranello of course.
    Barnard wanted to stay in the UK when he was the Ferrari designer, he even founded his own company there called GTO (Guildford Technical Office, but of course a nice nod to Ferrari). The team was still based in Maranello of course. Things didn't work out very well and Barnard didn't stay very long with the team, but he did return a few years later, when Schumacher joined the team.

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post

2-He drives for a German Company that has most of its vehicles built in the US (or worse).

4-His sole motivation for driving in an elitist form of 'Motorsport' is money.
    The entire British royal family is German...

And I don't think you will become a seven the world champion if you are in it just for the money.. But you've made it obvious in the past that you don't like the guy .
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    The entire British royal family is German...

And I don't think you will become a seven the world champion if you are in it just for the money.. But you've made it obvious in the past that you don't like the guy .

That is epic!!! In fact, most European royal families are of German descent, or have German relatives.

Thanks for putting a smile on my face in these horrible times!

Priller

PS: I don't like Hamilton either, but my favourite, Vettel, isn't performing anymore... But I love Ferrari!
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Priller,

I think your former King Leopold I had the same very German sounding family name (Saksen-Coburg-Gotha) as the Windsors originally had.

Our Dutch Royal family comes from another region, but in same country.

But to go back to the original subject, I was reading that Ineos is asked to pay the part of the money required to hire hamilton, which Daimler doesn't want to pay........ My advise to Mercedes is just hire George Russell for twice his current salary and you still have a bargain.....

Cheers,
    Huub

Any current F1 driver would get in that seat for free just to have a chance of winning the title.

I just had a mental picture of Kimi blitzing the field while telling Toto "I know what I'm doing.....just leave me alone!"
    Never happen but it would get me back as a spectator.

Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    But you've made it obvious in the past that you don't like the guy .

For my two pennyworth he was a brilliant driver. Then he started on the BLM crap and EVERYONE in F1 never had the guts to tell him that sort of thing breaks one of the cardinal rules of motorsport.

I cannot think what his white mother feels about the whole business.

Just in time Alonso is coming back. Might be 9/10ths the driver but 100% more man. Spanish Lives Matter!

I'm sure when he retires a lot more smiles will be seen in and around the grid.

What good does it doeth a man if he gains money and power but loses his integrity....

Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Yes indeed!

Members who have read this thread: 0