Pompeii airfield Italy 44

Thread: Pompeii airfield Italy 44

May not quite what you wanted Papi, but the 340th was the unit that inspired Catch 22, and i could'nt resist the story of this airfield, hope you like

Built as temporary airfield late 1943, became home to the 340th Bombardment Group's B25J Mitchells in January 44.
    Mount Vesuvius erupted March 44 covering the airfield in 1-2ft of volcanic ash, damaging most of the units aircraft, luckilly with no casualtie's save a few cuts and bruises. The airfield became unusable and the unit relocated to Paestum near Salerno
    The accommodation was probably tented but i took a few liberty's, and i haven't got a good tent object library to play with

Im using two freeware addons with this scenery, FS2004 Italy SRTM scenery mesh by Werner F. Vogt,
    and Italian coastline by luisio both found on Flightsim.com. But you should be fine without these

RAF Chittagong Burma FS9.zip by myself for the Vehicles
    Djedeida.Tunisia for FS9.zip by myself for the control tower

You will need to download and install FS2004 Vintage Military Buildings SS scenery objects by Sidney Schwartz. look for
    vintmlss.zip in the FS2004 Scenery Objects section at Flightsim.com

jyai_b25_fs9_1.zip from Flightsim.com for the Ai

I knocked up a quick and dirty 340BG paint, i dont really do repainting and if anyone wants to do a better one,
    feel free. Add the entrie below to the B25J CFG to show in sim.

[fltsim.xx]
    title =B25J Mitchell 340BG
    sim=JYAI_B25_AI
    model =B25_1
    panel =
    sound =
    texture =340BG
    panel_alias =
    sound_alias =
    kb_checklists =
    kb_reference =
    atc_id =B25
    atc_id_color =
    atc_parking_types =MIL_COMBAT
    atc_parking_codes =
    atc_airline=AIR FORCE
    atc_flight_number=255
    ui_manufacturer = North American AI
    ui_type = B25J
    ui_variation =340BG
    description =For AI Use only
    visual_damage = 0
    prop_anim_ratio=0.99

Good evening Ian,

certainly I did understand something wrong.
    I tried to download and install all.
    But where is the scenery?
    also the scenery files ?Please might you help me to see the B-25's at the pompeji airfield?
    Yours Papi

Papi,

As it is already too late and I will have an early start tomorrow, I haven't installed the scenery yet.
    But have you checked the "Airport-ID" X390 in Italy?

The sceney files area all just .blg files which will call for the "third party" scenery which are described in Ian's original post.

Cheers,
    Huub

Pompeii airfield Italy FS9.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Scenery

Description: Pompeii airfield, Italy, home of 340th bomb group B-25s, early 1944.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Pompeii airfield Italy FS9.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Pompeii airfield Italy 44 X390

Good morning Huub,

please what is X390 airfield?
    I do not have such one in my Flightsim
    Yours
    Papi

Pompeii airfield Italy FS9.zip

Good morning Ian,

thank you a lot for the scenery.
    Wunderbar
    It reflects quiet well the 1944 time airfield
    And it forces me to make navigation as in the good old time with out navaids but looking on the card
    LOL
    Thank you again, I am very pleased
    Yours
    Papi

Papi,

The .bgl files all refer to "X390", I expect that Ian has used this as identification of the airfield.

Cheers,
    Huub

Hi, not sure what the problem is, this shouldn't be any different to the other scenery's of mine. You should see Pompeii in your "Go to airport" Italy drop down list. X390 is a made up airport I.D. The X is from me, 390 is construction number, the 390th temporary airfield constructed by the US Twelfth airforce in the Mediterranean theater

Hallo Ian, hello Huub,

all is allright now.
    Thank you for this fine scenery
    I did the Pombeji flight from the breefing Time flights and the
    "X390" airfield is very hard to find.
    I would not have been a pilot comming home at a late hour
    Yours
    Papi

Your welcome, they are hard to see, if you look at WW2 arial photo's of these airfields, esp Italy, i wouldn't like to fly into them in bad weather.
    Im also not really happy with FS9 dirt texture's, ive try'd a few but im not happy with any, i can get them looking better in FSX, but im not interested in WW2 scenery in that sim anymore

Gee, I don't know Ian, but when I try to install the scenery I get a total game freeze. I have to then use the Task Manager to get out of the sim. What could be the issue?
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Thats a strange one Stoney, there's nothing in there that should cause trouble. 1 remove the traffic file and install, and see what happens, or
    2, you could try cutting/pasting bgl's into Addon scenery/scenery folder, but remember what you move'd as you may have to remove them again

No worries Ian. I just re-installed today and it was fine! Really neat scenery!
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Thanks Ian,

As you can see it works.... Although the texture on your B25 looks slightly different (the one you see on this screenshot is in the package) and the soil isn't exactly rocky/dirt.... But don't worry it is definitely good enough for me.
    The B25 in the front is the RCS B-25 with a texture by JanKees (It was originally for FSX, but I converted it from .dds format to dtx3 format).

Cheers,
    Huub

I have made some simple alternative textures for the AI B51-J at Pompeii Airfield. Based on a picture from a real aircraft from 340BG in this period, I have also chosen a different model, the one without the gun pods.

When you want the you can get them below.

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks Huub, works for me .

Members who have read this thread: 1