a working aircraft carrier for MSFS - NEW
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a working aircraft carrier for MSFS - NEW

a working aircraft carrier for MSFS - NEW

does anyone have this? see linked video

does it move or is it stationary? it does NOT move...yet

is it hard on FPS? apparently it has a program to run in the background while running FS : not clear from this video

video review: Microsoft Flight Simulator | First FUNCTIONAL Aircraft Carrier | Hard Deck Simulations - Bing video

for sale at : simMarket: HARD DECK SIMULATIONS - FUNCTIONAL AIRCRAFT CARRIER MSFS
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

curious at the lack of interest here...brand new program and developer - probably in need of seed money to expand on this software. SOH community leans toward combat aviation - yet crickets on this topic. I'm perplexed
    enter..the Sandman

I would have responded to this much sooner, but was busy. I watched the video, and read the descriptions of limitations. I know this pales in comparison to, say for example, Simworks Studios oustanding USS Nimitz, but hey, it is a start! Kudos to this developer😃!

And YES, I did not hesitate to buy it immediately! GO NAVAIR, Fly NAVY! Navy Chief

Have you had any problems with FPS or connectivity?
    The program has to be open and running adjacent to MSFS as I
    understand it. I want to be sure they get along (at least until the next update) before I buy it.
    Thanks for posting on it Chief.
    Are you using Dino’s jet with it? Or have you found a legacy USN jet?
    enter..the Sandman

I haven't had FPS problems, although I did get a warning that my bandwidth was too low, and it put me offline. I don't know what difference that makes with being in the sim; maybe weather or live AI. Anyway, it all looks pretty good, considering it is a newbie to MSFS addons....especially a carrier!! Everything seems to be working as advertised. I don't know if it is somehow related to the addition of this program, but I am not able to select a different aircraft with the Developer mode. The cursor highlights one, but pushing the "load" button does nothing. No biggie for now. Just wanted to make different screenshots. I ended up starting a new flight to change aircraft. Yep, I used Dino's great addon aircraft, and Rob Richardson's Banshee. Landing is way more of a challenge with this sim. Either that, or I am simply more used to P3D. I DO like this a lot!! Navy Chief

I noticed a couple small things; i.e. they put a static truck (some type of fuel truck, I think) just fwd of the island, and Tilly the crane is missing, aft of the island.

Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.01 - 21.47.06.66 by retnavycpo, on Flickr

Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.01 - 21.56.55.13 by retnavycpo, on Flickr

Desktop Screenshot 2021.01.01 - 22.22.51.100 by retnavycpo, on Flickr

perfect! just the kind of information I was looking for Chief - thank you.

I imagine some of the difficulty coming aboard is that it doesn't sail yet - I had a hard time with the static carrier in Aerofly for that reason but I don't care.

MSFS is hollering for Navy carrier flight operations and this looks like a solid effort to get that rolling.

have you tried landing in a squall yet?
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    perfect! just the kind of information I was looking for Chief - thank you.

I imagine some of the difficulty coming aboard is that it doesn't sail yet - I had a hard time with the static carrier in Aerofly for that reason but I don't care.

MSFS is hollering for Navy carrier flight operations and this looks like a solid effort to get that rolling.

have you tried landing in a squall yet?
    Heck, I am just trying to land with clear skies! My main problem is I need to switch out joysticks because my Saitek X52 has decided not to "play nice", and I have been attempting to use a Saitek Yoke (which is foreign to me, as I only recently got it). Flying a Navy jet with a yoke is like driving a bus with a steering wheel that isn't fastened, and the wheels are coming off the rims.... NC

Lol - I got the 339 aboard twice in daylight but only just...tried it in the rain and missed twice before planting it just above the boat's rudder

where did you get that USN repaint for it? and is it public or..

the only yolk I know is the 'over easy' kind served with hash brown taters, sir

an old navy Chief used to say to me - "son, you don't get things to work by forcing them.. you just get yerself a bigger hammer"
    enter..the Sandman

Lol - I got the 339 aboard twice in daylight but only just...tried it in the rain and missed twice before planting it just above the boat's rudder

where did you get that USN repaint for it? and is it public or..

the only yolk I know is the 'over easy' kind served with hash brown taters, sir

an old navy Chief used to say to me - "son, you don't get things to work by forcing them.. you just get yerself a bigger hammer"
    That old Navy Chief`s words were spot on!. I think I got that USN paint from Flightsim.to. Let me know if you can't find it, and I will send it to you.. NC

Update:. Found it!https://flightsim.to/file/4800/aerma...nnabie-repaint

I would be very interested in this if it the technology could be applied to a carrier other than their's.

They have a leg up on all other carrier developers in that they are "already in the game".

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    I would be very interested in this if it the technology could be applied to a carrier other than their's.

They have a leg up on all other carrier developers in that they are "already in the game".
    Yep, they definitely are!

Have to be honest here... I saw this, but, I own the DCS super Carrier. I just can't imagine that it's going to be able to top that on any level. I know that it's not MSFS. It's apples and oranges etc. etc. But that is the reason for my personal level of enthusiasm. I'm all for them bringing something new and innovating where there's a vacuum. I'm just not personally interested right now. If it moves along and MSFS sdk eventually supports all systems and externally required modules to make these modern aircraft and ships work correctly, then that would be great! Likely count me in. For now though, I'm too infatuated with the HB F-14A to leave that CV environment.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Hi guys, I'm working on a carrier too, USS Kitty Hawk, with the same overall aim in mind but mine will be moving and have a full carrier-wing aboard. It's a BIG job though so it's going to be a little while before she's ready for operations Aiming for high-detail but with equally high frame rates and, possibly, carrier and air wing details that change depending on what year the simulator is set to. WIP for 2021 release alongside my converted Super Hornets and forthcoming F-14 A/D.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails USS Kitty Hawk.jpg   Viking.jpg  
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

curious at the lack of interest here...brand new program and developer - probably in need of seed money to expand on this software. SOH community leans toward combat aviation - yet crickets on this topic. I'm perplexed
    The lack of interest is probably due to:
    - the low quality of the 3D model which seems very simplified and out of proportions to me,
    - the low quality level of the textures (they don't look even remotely realistic at all),
    - the low level of features (wires and catapult, for any plane without considering if it has a hook or not...),
    - the fact that this carrier is not mobile, just a fixed piece of scenery (think about that old carrier model near the Golden Gate in the previous FS versions)
    - the fact that despite all of the above, the developer still charges a price for it...

I agree that MSFS definitely needs this kind of addons. I really miss Javier's Nimitz or the RFN Clemenceau and Charles de Gaule, and I really miss all of the carrier jets I had in FSX and P3D.
    Nevertheless, I do not need to spend any dollar into such a low quality addon at all.
    Sorry to sound negative...

No, the carrier isn't the quality of the DCS model, however, this is a very reasonably priced add-on at $15.76, and updates (of which there will be) will be free.. I enjoy having more than one flight sim! P3D is my favorite, especially with Naval Aviation, but it's encouraging that the improvements to MSFS are coming along fairly quickly. NC

I wasn't referring to DCS at all.
    The thing is, the freeware carriers actually available for FSX and P3D look much better than this one. And they move.
    And if we restrict to the payware addons, then I should compare that carrier to the one made by SWS, which is magnificent.

But yes, I basically agree with you that it's a good thing to see aircraft carriers (and military addons in general) coming to the new sim.

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    I wasn't referring to DCS at all.
    The thing is, the freeware carriers actually available for FSX and P3D look much better than this one. And they move.
    And if we restrict to the payware addons, then I should compare that carrier to the one made by SWS, which is magnificent.

But yes, I basically agree with you that it's a good thing to see aircraft carriers (and military addons in general) coming to the new sim.

Daube, I wasn't referring to your post, but 000Rick000's comments about DCS. NC

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    Hi guys, I'm working on a carrier too, USS Kitty Hawk, with the same overall aim in mind but mine will be moving and have a full carrier-wing aboard. It's a BIG job though so it's going to be a little while before she's ready for operations Aiming for high-detail but with equally high frame rates and, possibly, carrier and air wing details that change depending on what year the simulator is set to. WIP for 2021 release alongside my converted Super Hornets and forthcoming F-14 A/D.

THIS is the best news I've seen since MSFS was announced - Out f'n Standing Dino
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    That old Navy Chief`s words were spot on!. I think I got that USN paint from Flightsim.to. Let me know if you can't find it, and I will send it to you.. NC

Update:. Found it!https://flightsim.to/file/4800/aerma...nnabie-repaint
    Thank you for the link!

I have DCS but have not been willing to pay their ransom for the carrier and Navy jets...The F18 and carrier model were fun during the free trial period (few more days yet) but I am just not able to justify the expense on top of the new PC and other software investments made
    at the end of the YEAR from HELL
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    The lack of interest is probably due to:
    - the low quality of the 3D model which seems very simplified and out of proportions to me,
    - the low quality level of the textures (they don't look even remotely realistic at all),
    - the low level of features (wires and catapult, for any plane without considering if it has a hook or not...),
    - the fact that this carrier is not mobile, just a fixed piece of scenery (think about that old carrier model near the Golden Gate in the previous FS versions)
    - the fact that despite all of the above, the developer still charges a price for it...

I agree that MSFS definitely needs this kind of addons. I really miss Javier's Nimitz or the RFN Clemenceau and Charles de Gaule, and I really miss all of the carrier jets I had in FSX and P3D.
    Nevertheless, I do not need to spend any dollar into such a low quality addon at all.
    Sorry to sound negative...
    valid points - she isn't pretty as DCS or even close but you can trap and cat from it and that's a first for
    MSFS. Add that it is a WIP and will likely get upgrades as revenue and time allows and it feels a bit early to cross it off entirely, but I do agree with you in general.
    This will fit the bill for me until Dino - or Javier - and or others make their way in.
    enter..the Sandman

Yup those are all 100% valid points. I'm only bringing it up as THE only reason for my personal lack of enthusiasm for it.

@heywooood, LOL. Can't disagree about the year. But, once I've trapped and done ops from the SC (especially in MP), and been at the paddles station. With all that dynamic deck crew, and had all all the correct ATC, it's hard to look at a static, empty carrier with any excitement.

@DC, that looks great. A fully functional CV in MSFS is definitely a wish. Era specific, based on year, is quite a novelty! That would be awesome!

I feel.bad for SWS, because their stuff started coming online right at the end of the "Golden age" of P3D and FSX. Hopefully they will pursue develolemnt for MSFS.

Frankly I hope LM is taking note and hope they upgrade the gfx engine and visuals of P3D to match or exceed MSFS. right now I feel like I'm a beta tester for Asobo/MS for their "ultimate goal", which is, MSFS for XBOX, and the infinitum of the XBOX live/game pass paywall. Charge for everything.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Less than fair to compare the work of an individual (or two) to the work of a well funded organization but if we only look at the result of each as of noon today then sure - DCS has accomplished something obviously greater with all of their resources and time than Hard Deck has done without those things. Also must be encouraging to them to note this disparagement. I’m sure it can only help motivate them to make improvements. That would be my reaction to it anyway.
    No one can expect a DCS customer to be impressed by this bit of software - probably enough to just leave it there and say no more.
    My thought was that, with all the focus here in MSFS on bringing legacy planes forward, and with there being so many of those that are carrier based types - there would be people here who would be interested in this software. Not as a study simulation obviously but as a ‘challenge’ mission similar to what MSFS offers aside from what is included ‘in the box’.
    Enjoy
    enter..the Sandman

Yeah, and that is a valid argument. I'm not partial to any sim because "it's this sim or that sim". I'm just partial to the most authentic experience. Whatever sim that happens to be. The individual or team required to achieve it, isn't even a factor for me. Only the end result. So, to me the comparison is fair. Especially since they are asking 1/3 the cost of the DCS version. But that's my opinion. So clearly, your mileage may vary, and that's totally fine.

@heywooood, BTW, the DCS Super Carrier is currently $34.99 with the sale price. It ends really soon. Double the price (of this one) for like 500% the functionality. In case you missed it.

Edit: I probably should note that while the individual or team isn't a factor in terms of how I judge the content, that's not me deminishing the achievements of single or smaller contributers and their time. It's just that, like all of you, I make decisions on how to spend my money. Didn't want to soumd too harsh there. I value the small, single contributers; and many of them make equal or even better products than large teams in my experience.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Yeah, and that is a valid argument. I'm not partial to any sim because "it's this sim or that sim". I'm just partial to the most authentic experience. Whatever sim that happens to be. The individual or team required to achieve it, isn't even a factor for me. Only the end result. So, to me the comparison is fair. Especially since they are asking 1/3 the cost of the DCS version. But that's my opinion. So clearly, your mileage may vary, and that's totally fine.

@heywooood, BTW, the DCS Super Carrier is currently $34.99 with the sale price. It ends really soon. Double the price (of this one) for like 500% the functionality. In case you missed it.
    +the Hornet is another 55$ - maybe I'll catch the next sale
    enter..the Sandman

Members who have read this thread: 1