Nieuport 28 C.1 America's First Fighter V.2 update
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nieuport 28 C.1 America's First Fighter V.2 update

Next Up

Another historically significant WWI aircraft that we have no good CFS2 model for.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NEXT UP.jpg  
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

About time....

A decent neiuport 28!!!!!

Nice one CK.

Cheers mav
    Last edited by mav; December 23rd, 2020 at 02:45.

Yep, just couldn't stand it,
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Nice work CK. Do you plan to put a Liberty engine in the DH.4?

Yeah Captain, a lovely bird to wear a hat in a ring, too nice

A merry Christmas
    Martin

Be sure to put Captn' Eddie Rickenbacker into the cockpit.
    ..."He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" -Jim Elliot

Ravenna, I'm unable to add a Liberty engine to Gary's DH-4 without both his permission and his .fsc source file. You can't disassemble his mdl file to an FSDS code file.

But speaking of engines, I finished up the Gnome Monosoupape 9 for the Nieuport 28 this evening, so I got that going for me.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gnome monosoupape 9N.jpg  
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

CK,

Nice progress on the Nieuport.

We have permission from Gary to make changes to his DH.4. I can ask him whether he still has the source codes for his aircraft.
    There is a model and DP alteration giving the DH.4 twin forward guns for RNAS use.

I'll track down Gary's permission note and send it to you if it helps.

Last edited by Captain Kurt; December 24th, 2020 at 15:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    CK,

Nice progress on the Nieuport.

We have permission from Gary to make changes to his DH.4. I can ask him whether he still has the source codes for his aircraft.
    There is a model and DP alteration giving the DH.4 twin forward guns for RNAS use.

I'll track down Gary's permission note and send it to you if it helps.

Mike,

If he can provide the fsc source file, I will be happy to work on making it into a Liberty version.

Merry Christmas.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Progress on the Nieuport 28c

Just an update.

The external model is done and the rigging is complete - detailed this time.

Still needs the prop and windscreen but those are last because of the parts hierarchy. The cockpit details and the VC development are next. Of course it will also need a pilot. After that will be texturing and painting it. The 2D panel and air files will be last.

Stay tuned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rigging.jpg   N28.jpg  
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Library Staff
    That was fast work Kurt! Great job!

Nieuport 28c WWI biplane fighter development progress

Not sure how many guys are interested in WWI for CFS2 but there has been a flurry of developments lately. Anyway here is my development progress on the Nieuport 28c so far. The external model is done. The VC model is complete and the cockpit part textured. (yes, the upper wing really did have the small gap where the top wings met). I am in the middle of mapping the aircraft textures to the model.

Still to do:
    * Paint it
    * Model and add the LODs
    * 2D panel and place the VC instruments- which should be fun because it really didn't have a panel; just a tach hanging from a cross bar, an oil pulsator and fuel sight gauge attached to the left sidewall. Evidently the French weren't big on instrumentation.
    * Develop the flight model

Still learning as I go

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails VC 2.jpg   VC 1.jpg   N28 RR.jpg   N28 LF.jpg  
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

SOH-CM-2024
    Hello-

So far, so excellent! I agree with those who have already expressed the opinion that a nicely done example of this aircraft is long overdue!
    Well done- keep on keepin' on!

- Mike

It's coming along CK.... just don't forget the cup holder and the ash tray!!!

Cheers mav

Almost there

Final steps -- working on the flight files and trying to get the damage assignments to work right - keeps spawning duplicate models when a part breaks - phooey.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27th.jpg  
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Spawning duplicate models usually occurs when the DP calls for a breaking part but that part doesn't exist in the mdl. Open the DP file and go to the [EFFECTS] section. You'll see lines that look something like this: effect.4=100,BREAK,2,.

That last number is the call for the breaking part. Simply delete that last number on every line that has a BREAK call so it would look like this: effect.4=100,BREAK,,

That should stop multiple aircraft spawning when you get shot up.

Hi Cody,

Yep, that does work and I may resort to it. But it also stops the parts from breaking away at all. Still, I like that better than spawning multiple planes.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rigging.jpg   cowl spiral.jpg  
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Icon22 Reply...

Kurt,

Many thanks, this looks outstanding! Very nice model!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Congrats Kurt, this model will be a major piece in our Aerodromes, I can't wait

Cheers
    Martin

Nieuport 28 C.1 94th Aero Squadron USAS

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - World War I

Description: The Nieuport 28 C.1, America’s First Fighter for CFS2

The Nieuport 28 C.1 was developed in France but was America's first fighter aircraft. It entered service in March 1918. France originally ordered it into production in 1917 only to cancel the order shortly thereafter in favor of the SPAD XIII as the standard French fighter. It was given a new lease on life when the United States Air Service (USAS) ordered 297 of them as it was available when the SPAD XIII could not be procured due to the SPAD production commitment to the French Air Force. It was intended as a stop gap fighter until enough SPAD XIII's became available. Deliveries - without guns - to the USAS 94th and 95th Aero Squadrons began in February and March 1918. By the end of March a limited number of Vickers machine guns were delivered to the 94th for combat patrols to begin. In June, the 27th and 147th Aero Squadrons were also equipped with the Nieuport 28.

The Nieuport 28 in combat proved to have outstanding maneuverability and rate of climb with decent speed, but had a weakness on the upper wing where the leading edge could fail, tearing the upper wing fabric off with it when it was pulled out of a high speed dive. This led to a number of incidents in combat causing losses. Some pilots were able to limp back to base with the damage, like Waldo Heinrichs, Jimmy Meissner, and Eddie Rickenbacker, but others were not so lucky. This led to more cautious flying by the pilots and probably hindered the overall combat performance of the Squadrons. Even so, the USAS fighter squadrons turned in an acceptable record with the Nieuport for the four months they flew it in combat until SPADS became available to replace the Nieuports beginning in August, 1918.

FSDS 2.24 Model, textures, and flight files by Captain Kurt (Kurt Schwabauer), freeware pilot figure source file by Wolfi – modified by Captain Kurt, and prop spinning texture by Kelticheart.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Nieuport 28 C.1 94th Aero Squadron USAS
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Nieuport 28 C.1 94th Aero Squadron USAS

Version 2 update

Mav has worked his SCASM magic once again to eliminate the Virtual Cockpit flickering and malfunctioning aileron edges. Thanks buddy.

The Nieuport 28 C.1 was developed in France but was America's first fighter aircraft. It entered service in March 1918. France originally ordered it into production in 1917 only to cancel the order shortly thereafter in favor of the SPAD XIII as the standard French fighter. It was given a new lease on life when the United States Air Service (USAS) ordered 297 of them as it was available when the SPAD XIII could not be procured due to the SPAD production commitment to the French Air Force. It was intended as a stop gap fighter until enough SPAD XIII's became available. Deliveries - without guns - to the USAS 94th and 95th Aero Squadrons began in February and March 1918. By the end of March a limited number of Vickers machine guns were delivered to the 94th for combat patrols to begin. In June, the 27th and 147th Aero Squadrons were also equipped with the Nieuport 28.

The Nieuport 28 in combat proved to have outstanding maneuverability and rate of climb with decent speed, but had a weakness on the upper wing where the leading edge could fail, tearing the upper wing fabric off with it when it was pulled out of a high speed dive. This led to a number of incidents in combat causing losses. Some pilots were able to limp back to base with the damage, like Waldo Heinrichs, Jimmy Meissner, and Eddie Rickenbacker, but others were not so lucky. This led to more cautious flying by the pilots and probably hindered the overall combat performance of the Squadrons. Even so, the USAS fighter squadrons turned in an acceptable record with the Nieuport for the four months they flew it in combat until SPADS became available to replace the Nieuports beginning in August, 1918.

FSDS 2.24 Model, textures, and flight files by Captain Kurt (Kurt Schwabauer), freeware pilot figure source file by Wolfi – modified by Captain Kurt, SCASM editing by Mav, and prop spinning texture by Kelticheart

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Nieuport 28 C.1 147th Aero Squadron USAS V.2.zip
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=124&id=27641

Last edited by Captain Kurt; January 30th, 2021 at 10:22. Reason: update

Nieuport 28 C.1 147th Aero Squadron USAS

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - World War I

FSDS 2.24 Model, textures, and flight files by Captain Kurt (Kurt Schwabauer), freeware pilot figure source file by Wolfi – modified by Captain Kurt, and prop spinning texture by Kelticheart.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Nieuport 28 C.1 147th Aero Squadron USAS

Nieuport 28 C.1 147th Aero Squadron USAS

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Nieuport 28 C.1 147th Aero Squadron USAS

Nieuport 28 C.1 27th Aero Squadron USAS

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Nieuport 28 C.1 27th Aero Squadron USAS

Members who have read this thread: 0